Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 01:41   #1
BHPian

Connect ipod to Toyota Innova VX

Dear Friends

I have booked a Innova and will get the delivery in the coming days.
I need to connect my IPod to the OEM Car Head Unit.

I don't want to use the FM transmitter because I've already used it in my Fiesta and the SQ is not so and one has to operate the IPod while driving.

Please suggest how to work this out and any idea that I can get
factory radio IPod interface in India.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Rgds
Braveheart
Old 11th September 2009, 11:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess your only option is the Harman/Kardon Drive+Play
Old 11th September 2009, 11:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can you also suggest an option for fixing an MP3 IPOD player to a 2007 Corolla. It has factory fitted system with no USB option.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:38   #4

Hi...Best option to add USB & IPOD to your Toyota, Honda & Skoda OEM Headunits is XCARLINK USB & IPOD Interface.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:59   #5
BHPian

Guys any idea about the availability and pricing of these products.
If any body is already using such products his inputs would be really helpful.
Old 14th November 2009, 00:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Dear Friends

I have booked a Innova and will get the delivery in the coming days.
I need to connect my IPod to the OEM Car Head Unit.

I don't want to use the FM transmitter because I've already used it in my Fiesta and the SQ is not so and one has to operate the IPod while driving.

Please suggest how to work this out and any idea that I can get
factory radio IPod interface in India.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Rgds
Braveheart

Folks , we recently bought Innova VX and was looking out for someway to interface Bluetooth Phone and Ipod. Finally found an option which though expensive at approx Rs 6000/- definitely works VERY VERY WELL without having to mess around with the stock HU at all. Infact, it does not give Toyota any reason to cancel your warranty unlike other products which "wire" into the stock HU . The difference in quality between cheap FM transmitters (those retailing for around ~ Rs 2000) and this one is very clear:

Specs:

Soundfly BT Ultimate Bluetooth Car Fm Transmitter WMA/MP3 Player for SD Card, USB Stick, iPhone 3Gs

Pro:
Snugly fits into the 12V Power Outlet.
Powerful FM transmitter (Absolutely ZERO static-which is pretty amazing).
Easy set up of transmission frequency on device and radio.
Easy pairing of Bluetooth with Phone.
Music input thru Aux-In, USB, SD Card - so very flexible.
And best of all - you dont have to pray while some A.S.S. tears up your nice & new 50k HU to fit "wires".

Con:
Unlike the Blaupunkt HU (Hamburg MP57) on my Santro - this DOES NOT stop the music and switch to the phone during incoming/outgoing call. You have to manually hit the pause button.
Does not have a digital interface to ipod (so miss the ability to charge the ipod). Though the aux works fine.
Cannot control songs from the steering control.- though I dont mind that much.

Where to get it:

Look for this item on Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands , eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices, or if you travel to the West look for any retailer who stocks Satechi.
Old 15th November 2009, 23:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

i also have the vx innova and this is what i feel the cheapest and best solution to your problem rather than spending thousands for a harmon kardon or a lousy Fm transmitter which always gets interference while driving close to cell phone towers etc.
Cassette tape adaptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
its easily available also.
or the next best option is to change the HU.
i also use it to play songs out of my ipod.

Last edited by vinaydas : 15th November 2009 at 23:27.
Old 16th November 2009, 22:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i also have the vx innova and this is what i feel the cheapest and best solution to your problem rather than spending thousands for a harmon kardon or a lousy Fm transmitter which always gets interference while driving close to cell phone towers etc.
Cassette tape adaptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
its easily available also.
or the next best option is to change the HU.
i also use it to play songs out of my ipod.

Hi
Stock HU on a standard new Innova VX (sold Post Oct 31, '09) can only play CD (MP3/WMA) and Radio.

Besides I checked with the largest dealer in Delhi (Galaxy Toyota) and with the second largest (Uttam Toyota) - the price of Stock HU is close to Rs 50,000 and - yes , even if one does ask Toyota to sell the VX for 50k less and w/o the HU - they will not oblige.

So, a proud owner of the new Innova VX would have sunk the 50k into the purchase for the HU - for good or bad.

And anyway if one does plan to put in a new HU (i.e. 50k that one shells out is not important ) why bother with a cassette adapter... one will probably be better off selecting an aftermarket product which interfaces with everything inclusive Prez. Obama's bedside lamp as well !!!

So what then are the options:-
1. Bid farewell to stock HU in the open market...and get oneself an aftermarket.
Risk -> not only would one lose a substantial portion of the 50k one will probably risk losing the warranty on the Innova - as most HU installers will invariably "cut" the wire. May be this risk could be just "dealer-talk" but I certainly dont want to chance this risk on my own new Innova (certainly not after coughing up 12 Lakhs!)

2. Get oneself an aftermarket product like the XCARLINK which interfaces to the CD changer port.
Being a wired device - couple of risks both leading to invalidation of warranty - a) installer cuts wires b) the device itself creating a problem within the stock HU (e.g. power surge etc.). Remember Toyota has not recommended it - and therefore reserve full right to withdraw warranty/not honour warranty.

3. Be willing to spend a little extra on a decent FM transmitter that plugs into the power socket. The worst that can happen is that one blows a fuse in the innova (which incidentally should be covered by the warranty).

If in one's scheme of things , interfacing an ipod to the car HU is of paramount importance (i.e. for e.g. one would rather have a working ipod than Automatic Climate control) one could opt for the GX model (which would incidentally leave one with enough cash to get a fantastic aftermarket player that is tested incidentally with Prez. Obama's bedside lamp!).
Old 17th November 2009, 02:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
... the price of Stock HU is close to Rs 50,000 and - yes , even if one does ask Toyota to sell the VX for 50k less and w/o the HU - they will not oblige....

2. Get oneself an aftermarket product like the XCARLINK which interfaces to the CD changer port.
3. Be willing to spend a little extra on a decent FM transmitter that plugs into the power socket.

... leave one with enough cash to get a fantastic aftermarket player that is tested incidentally with Prez. Obama's bedside lamp!).
1. You seem to have a different interpretation of conventions. Aren't you mistakenly comparing "replacement cost" (your allusion to 50K) with "market price" of the HU? And that is the reason why no dealer would be ready to reduce that amount if you don't want it.

At that price, one will get a fantastic 2DIN HU with a 7" touchscreen with all the works. The "actual cost" is closer to 5K, probably less (even the Toyota dealerships are willing to replace it, albeit that is the buy-back price), and possibly no one buys a replacement at that price if the OE HU goes kaput (it seldom does)

2. XCARLINK - yes, that is a good choice, but how to use it is beyond the knowledge of most local installers

3. An FM transmitter is not a preferred choice, since most off-the-shelf FM transmitters do not have the frequency response needed for good reproduction

4. What exactly did you intend to say as in 'tested incidentally with Prez. Obama's bedside lamp'? Not quite understandable by lesser mortals!
Old 17th November 2009, 10:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. You seem to have a different interpretation of conventions. Aren't you mistakenly comparing "replacement cost" (your allusion to 50K) with "market price" of the HU? And that is the reason why no dealer would be ready to reduce that amount if you don't want it.
The cost of the stock HU (if one were to buy it again) at the dealership is 50k. Since it comes factory fitted on the VX - therefore one has already "paid" 50k towards it. Dealer may offer a buy-back of 5k - so therefore one loses 45k. Add to that the cost of replacement HU (one's choice). If the dealer does this replacement one protects the warranty (but also limited to the few aftermarket units the dealer carries in the showroom).

Quote:
3. An FM transmitter is not a preferred choice, since most off-the-shelf FM transmitters do not have the frequency response needed for good reproduction
Agree on the one's which are available off-shelf at the local car accessory store. Most of these (cheap chinese made) do not have a half-decent transmitter and so very prone to interference especially when close to cell towers, police vehicles or any other RF source. That's why I mentioned this product- have been driving my Innova with the Soundfly unit all over Delhi this last 1 month and have not had any problem with static. This is my own experience - and I thought to share it like it is - so that others can use this information. What is/is not a "preferred choice" is the individual's decision and as I am happy with my choice so would continue to recommend it. I rest my point.

Quote:
4. What exactly did you intend to say as in 'tested incidentally with Prez. Obama's bedside lamp'? Not quite understandable by lesser mortals!
There is no end to the frills (inclusive expanding interfacing capability) with today's car audio systems. The reference to Prez. Obama is exactly that - a figure of speech to drive home the point that given enough money you can probably get a solid gold diamond encrusted audio system. If I have offended anyone - please accept my apologies - though am sure no offense was intended through the remark.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
... therefore one has already "paid" 50k towards it. Dealer may offer a buy-back of 5k - so therefore one loses 45k.
Most of these (cheap chinese made) do not have a half-decent transmitter and so very prone to interference
- though am sure no offense was intended through the remark.
1. You don't seem to have understood the pricing concept here. The 50K is the imaginary price ("replacement cost"), 5K is the actual BoM price. You cannot reckon with the imaginary price when talking of the value of the built-in OE HU, it has to be the BoM price. Neither Toyota nor the dealer benefits, nor the buyer loses, 45K as your logic says

2. Almost all electronics today is 'cheap chinese made' - that prejudice is unjustified, since it is manufactured in China but probably designed somewhere else.
Anyhow, the issue is not of interference, but the very limited basic frequency response of the FM transmitter
Old 6th March 2010, 16:28   #12
BHPian

This Discussion has gotten sidetracked. The real question was- What are the options for playing an i-pod/USB/ memory card etc format music on the stock Innova V headunit and where can we buy them in India.

Both the BT Soundfly and the XCarlink seem like good products. Can we buy them in India? Can the steering wheel controls be used to control the volume and tracks? What other options do we have apart from changing the HU?

I, for one, would be very keen to get more details as am about to book an Innova V.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
This Discussion has gotten sidetracked. The real question was- What are the options for playing an i-pod/USB/ memory card etc format music on the stock Innova V headunit and where can we buy them in India.

Both the BT Soundfly and the XCarlink seem like good products. Can we buy them in India? Can the steering wheel controls be used to control the volume and tracks? What other options do we have apart from changing the HU?

I, for one, would be very keen to get more details as am about to book an Innova V.
Just got the XCar Link (Ipod interface) installed in my Innova 2.5 V by getting it connected to the stock HU. It's all that it claims to be - I can now use the HU controls to select albums / tracks etc. Sound quality is excellent. I was earlier using a Belkin FM transmitter which used to pick up a lot of interference.
Got the XCar Link from fellow BHPian hihaneet.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Just got the XCar Link (Ipod interface) installed in my Innova 2.5 V by getting it connected to the stock HU. It's all that it claims to be - I can now use the HU controls to select albums / tracks etc. Sound quality is excellent. I was earlier using a Belkin FM transmitter which used to pick up a lot of interference.
Got the XCar Link from fellow BHPian hihaneet.
How much is the damage? Can you please post a snap?
Old 25th March 2010, 21:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
How much is the damage? Can you please post a snap?
Cost Rs.3500. Will post a snap. Basically you would need to specify for which vehicle it's needed so that the appropriate connector is provided on the interface. In my case I've kept the interface in the the glove box and connected it to the CD changer port behind the HU. A cable for connecting the Ipod to the interface is provided so the Ipod can be mounted somewhere convenient or left in the g/box.
Attached Images

Most Viewed