Team-BHP - An old Blaupunkt 520
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   An old Blaupunkt 520 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/65247-old-blaupunkt-520-a.html)

Hi members

I am planning to upgrade-in-near-future stock audio in my 8 years old Holden astra which came with Blau 520 single disk (no MP3) HU, front and rear 5" components (I believe that's what the size is) on doors.

Now coming to my query, is Blau 520 good enough to be used in my planned ICE upgrade? To be precise I like loud music and mostly listen to hiphop & RnB. I want my future ICE to be loud-n-clear. (my definition towards clear is "HU should play every intrument written on the music disc and bass should not suppress other music i.e. vocals and instruments"). At this stage the stock audio setup sounds ok (I'd rate it avg) but a bit too low to my taste. As I'd be expecting my new Ice to sound "loud-n-clear",so would Blau live up to my expectations or am I asking too much from an obsolete but working piece of electronics.

I am sorry,I don't have HU specifications handy that can assist you guys with your replies.

PS: havent decided on which components, subs and amps will be going in as haven't auditioned any but will keep you all posted.

Regards
Punzabi

Of course it will still make good music. It is not obsolete because it was making bad music and the latest ones make better music, just that newer models keep coming like you get new car models.

Unless you want MP3 playback facility (which you can achieve in the current one by connecting your PMP to the Aux-in at the rear - needs a Blau cable) by reading MP3 CDs, your current HU should be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punzabi (Post 1477020)
Hi members

I am planning to upgrade-in-near-future stock audio in my 8 years old Holden astra which came with Blau 520 single disk (no MP3) HU, front and rear 5" components (I believe that's what the size is) on doors.

The Astra has amny good things going for it.

1. Good Body work that requires minimal damping
2. Good locations for front tweerer (a tweeter pod in the OVRM).
3. A pretty good rear deck which with minimal mods can accomodate speakers as large as 8" dia.

Let us know what you are looking for. I have modded an Astra in my past and can help.

@ DerAlte: Thanks for your advice. The reason I asked about the HU is just to get feedback from members, if any of us has used this HU in past. I wasn't sure whether Blau 520 should be taken into account for upgrade or should I go for a new and better peice. From your reply, it sounds you are in favour of using this. (Awesome, that'd save me couple of hundred $$)

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 1479162)

1. Good Body work that requires minimal damping
2. Good locations for front tweerer (a tweeter pod in the OVRM).
3. A pretty good rear deck which with minimal mods can accomodate speakers as large as 8" dia.

@Navin: Thanks a ton for money saving Ideas and your offer to help. Will bug you for sure in near future. If you have something specific on top of your head that I must know before I carry on any work on the car, feel free to enlighten me.

Though I haven't decided on equipment & structure of setup (as currently busy planning and dreaming about my trip to India next month, yay stupid:) but thinking of putting 6.5" compos front & rear (this will replace stock compos at the same location)and a sub (most likely in a ported box). Leaving current tweeters as is.Does this setup makes any sense to you guys?

I like my music with volume cranked up a bit, loads of bass (loads of lows too) and clearly audible vocals & instruments. Don't want sub to monopolize the sound output.

Declaration: I am a novice ICE lover, have no previous experience with any ICE setup whatsoever. So members please avoid rocket science in your replies as things take some time to get into my thick skull :D.

Thanks in advance
Punzabi

The space between the door panel and window (when retraced) is very little (I tihink on the order of 50mm) so you will need to get woofers that are shallower than normal. Woofers that have NdFeB magnets in the front of the cone instead of the rear wold be an option.