Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 18:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Whats in the Preouts?

Hi,

I have few basic questions before i jump to my current requirement.

The Rated power source 12 V - 14.4 V DC and my preout max output level is lesser than 4V for a P5050UB. Take any other highend model, you have the preout outputs colse to 6V and so.

1. My question is will it make a difference when connecting it t an Amp of same spec? Will a higher preout voltage increase the sound output of an Amp ?

2. Will it make sense for me to go for the Clarion DXZ785USB(6V preouts) or a Pio DEH-P800PRS(5V preout) only with respect to Output (leave alone SQ)

My other question is, Will using a Y-Connector decrease the output ?

Say for example:

Preout1 -->}
} 4 Channel Amp --> Bridged to 2 Channels --> Front Compos
Preout2 -->}
Preout3 -->Y Connector--> 4 Channel Amp --> 2 For Rear Coax + 1 bridged for Sub.

Will the my second 4 Ch amp have lesser output because of this Y Connector, If yes, how much will be the difference? (Is it directly divided by 2?)

Audio Gurus Please help, as i need to configure my setup by this weekend

Thanks in advance
Old 16th September 2009, 19:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. 4V pre out as opposed to 6V pre out technically means you will have ~3.5dB more noise. but depending on the HU/Amp SNR and the shielding of the RCA's, it should not be much
2.Use the Y cable to split the front channel into 2 and feed the bridged amp driving the front comps.
use pre out 2 and 3 for the sub and rears. I think this will be a vastly better idea

A Y connector will not decrease output
Old 16th September 2009, 20:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
1. 4V pre out as opposed to 6V pre out technically means you will have ~3.5dB more noise. but depending on the HU/Amp SNR and the shielding of the RCA's, it should not be much
2.Use the Y cable to split the front channel into 2 and feed the bridged amp driving the front comps.
use pre out 2 and 3 for the sub and rears. I think this will be a vastly better idea

A Y connector will not decrease output

Oh thats wonderful.

Any specific reasons as to use the Y connector for the Compos ?

My logic behind using the Y Connectors for 3rd preout is;

My first 4Ch Amp (GTA-480) gives about 210W x 2 making it a powerful 2Ch Amp. This will be driving my Polk momo MM6501 (150W RMS) or the JBL C608-GTIMkii (150W RMS)

My Second 4 Ch (Kappa 4 - 125W x 2 + 300W x 1) will be driving the rear Hertz DSC 165 (80W RMS) + JBL GT5-S12 (300W RMS)

is there a better way out.?
Old 16th September 2009, 20:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

because when you are bridging them, you will essentially be needing the same set of channels for both channels. Thats exactly what a Y cable is supposed to do - give 2x identical signals

On the other hand, if you use a Y cable for the sub and the rears, you cant apply an LPF(for the sub) or an HPF( for the speakers) from the HU. you'll have to configure everything via the amp
Old 16th September 2009, 20:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
because when you are bridging them, you will essentially be needing the same set of channels for both channels. Thats exactly what a Y cable is supposed to do - give 2x identical signals

On the other hand, if you use a Y cable for the sub and the rears, you cant apply an LPF(for the sub) or an HPF( for the speakers) from the HU. you'll have to configure everything via the amp
Ahh..in layman terms i cant control the sub from my HU ; possible only through the Amp. Right ?.

You guys are simply great

Whats your take on the Infinity Kappa 4 ? Any thing better availabe in the same price range? (I am getting it from US for ~$300)
Old 16th September 2009, 22:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

and while bridging the amp for the comps, bridge the Left channels together and the Right channels together.
while bridging the amp running the sub, bridge the L and R together

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks