Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 16:00   #1
BHPian

Need technical advice regading Amp selection for ANHC?

I recently bought a black ANHC and looking to upgrade the audio system. I was looking to install Blaupunkt Velocity Vc 669 (RMS:80 w @ 4 ohms)components in the front and Blaupunkt Velocity Vx669 (RMS: 75w @ 4 ohms)in the rear. Both the speakers I have chosen is due to their brilliant voice clarity and bass.
Both the speakers have nominal impedance as 3 ohms, where as normal speakers have the impedance rated at 4 ohms. What does this mean? What are its effects on the amplifier? Is it fine to select an amplifier with a stability at 2 ohms?
Would Blaupunkt VA475 4 channel amplifier be enough to do the job and help produce a good sound?
Please find the specifications of amplifier as under:

Type: Analogue
Number of channels : 4 Channel
Max. Power (Watt): 850
Max. Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x160
Max. Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x425
Max. Power 4 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4x210
RMS Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x75
RMS Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2 x 210
RMS Power 4 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4 x 105
Signal-/noise ratio at nominal power (dB): > 95
Signal-/noise ratio at 1 Watt (dB): > 80
Distortion factor at nominal power (1 kHz): < 0,03 %
Frequency response (Hz) -1dB: 10-35000
Attenuation factor at 4 Ohm: > 100
Stability normal mode (Ohm): 2
Stability bridge mode (Ohm): 4
Input impedance (kOhm): > 10
Input sensitvity (V): 0,3 - 8
High-pass filter crossover frequency (Hz): 50 - 250
High-pass filter edge steepness (dB/Octave): 12
Low-pass filter crossover frequency (Hz): 50 - 250
Low-pass filter edge steepness (dB/Octave): 12
Bass Boost setting range (dB): 0 - 12
LED for protect-mode: Yes

Awaiting technical help from all the Audio gurus. Thanks in advance.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavit46 View Post
I recently bought a black ANHC and looking to upgrade the audio system. I was looking to install Blaupunkt Velocity Vc 669 (RMS:80 w @ 4 ohms)components in the front and Blaupunkt Velocity Vx669 (RMS: 75w @ 4 ohms)in the rear. Both the speakers I have chosen is due to their brilliant voice clarity and bass.
Both the speakers have nominal impedance as 3 ohms, where as normal speakers have the impedance rated at 4 ohms. What does this mean? What are its effects on the amplifier? Is it fine to select an amplifier with a stability at 2 ohms?
Would Blaupunkt VA475 4 channel amplifier be enough to do the job and help produce a good sound?
Please find the specifications of amplifier as under:

Type: Analogue
Number of channels : 4 Channel
Max. Power (Watt): 850
Max. Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x160
Max. Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x425
Max. Power 4 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4x210
RMS Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x75
RMS Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2 x 210
RMS Power 4 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4 x 105
Signal-/noise ratio at nominal power (dB): > 95
Signal-/noise ratio at 1 Watt (dB): > 80
Distortion factor at nominal power (1 kHz): < 0,03 %
Frequency response (Hz) -1dB: 10-35000
Attenuation factor at 4 Ohm: > 100
Stability normal mode (Ohm): 2
Stability bridge mode (Ohm): 4
Input impedance (kOhm): > 10
Input sensitvity (V): 0,3 - 8
High-pass filter crossover frequency (Hz): 50 - 250
High-pass filter edge steepness (dB/Octave): 12
Low-pass filter crossover frequency (Hz): 50 - 250
Low-pass filter edge steepness (dB/Octave): 12
Bass Boost setting range (dB): 0 - 12
LED for protect-mode: Yes

Awaiting technical help from all the Audio gurus. Thanks in advance.
Am no guru, but am guessing the amp should work fine with the speakers you have selected.

Hope you have had a chance to listen to a few brands before choosing.

Also for whatever HU you plan to use, please check if it has pre-outs or not. If not, either your amp should support speaker-level inputs or you would need a Hi to Lo converter (dont know the exact name).
Old 17th September 2009, 19:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Am no guru, but am guessing the amp should work fine with the speakers you have selected.

Hope you have had a chance to listen to a few brands before choosing.

Also for whatever HU you plan to use, please check if it has pre-outs or not. If not, either your amp should support speaker-level inputs or you would need a Hi to Lo converter (dont know the exact name).
I really havent had the chance to hear some the reputed brands like Polk Audio, Infinity, JBL. MB Quart, Hertz due to their availibilty in Ahmedabad. But I have listened to a few namely Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony. Also, I have a good experience with blaupunkt in the past so i am trusting the same. Please feel free to comment on the selection of the speakers!! Any valuable advise would definately help me get a good sound system.

I am planning to keep the HU as it is but need to check if they have pre-outs.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Gujarat is known for its poor ICE sense - that includes me as well since I've been here for 18 years :((.But thanks to T-Bhp have learnt a lot.

The rule here is to run the front speakers off the HU and rears and sub through the amp.Most of the time,the sub and two 6*9s feature on a plywood tray.

I have seen some bums install the midbass drivers of teh components on the rear shelf,the tweeters on the B Pillar and the coaxes up front - ridiculous but true.

The BEST speakers known here are the Pioneer TS2150 and the TS-S20.Sony comes next as people appreciate the brand value it enjoys in Home Audio.

From my experience,I won't single out any speaker as bad .What is most important is a good install.

Last edited by vigsom : 20th September 2009 at 20:34. Reason: added in para#1
Old 20th September 2009, 20:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The rule here is to run the front speakers off the HU and rears and sub through the amp.Most of the time,the sub and two 6*9s feature on a plywood tray.
Thanks for the advice, but i am not planning to add sub to my setup. I dont like too much bass but clarity is of importance.

Fortunately, in Ahmedabad, i did got a chance to listen to JBL, Kindly provide your inputs for the following setup:

JBL Front Components GTO 608C: RS. 6990
JBL Rear Coaxials GT5-265: Rs. 3250
JBL Amplifier GT5-S644.: Rs. 8990

I think they sound nice, but i find the rear setup a little less powerful. Also suggest a rear speaker which is a little more powerful than GT5-265.

Last edited by bhavit46 : 20th September 2009 at 21:15.
Old 20th September 2009, 21:11   #6
BHPian

I think if you like the sound quality of the velocity components go with it. They are not bad at all. But do look up and listen to the Infinity range from JBL (I'm sure they are as easily available as Blaupunkt in Ahmedabad), but could be on the costlier side;not aware of your budget. The 608C is a popular set of components as well

Last edited by pranava999 : 20th September 2009 at 21:17.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
I think if you like the sound quality of the velocity components go with it. They are not bad at all. But do look up and listen to the Infinity range from JBL (I'm sure they are as easily available as Blaupunkt in Ahmedabad), but could be on the costlier side;not aware of your budget. The 608C is a popular set of components as well
Thanks Pranav, Budget is around 35-40k for the speakers & amp.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are not putting in a sub, it is better that you put 6x9 ovals in the rear (parcel shelf) rather than the circular coaxials in the doors. This would give you some feeling of low frequencies. Adding a sub does not mean losing clarity. Being able to listen to the complete frequency spectrum will enable you to hear music the way it was intended to be heard.

Ahmedabad being a large city, there *must* be somewhere where you can audition Blaupunkt and JBL. Check on the websites to find out who the main dealers are and ask them for an audition.

Blaupunkt Velocity series is good.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ahmedabad being a large city, there *must* be somewhere where you can audition Blaupunkt and JBL. Check on the websites to find out who the main dealers are and ask them for an audition.

Blaupunkt Velocity series is good.
Are you using the stock HU that comes with the ANHC? The Stock HU has a huge ammount of EQ with a boost in the midbass a recessed uppoer midrange and a peaky treble and almost no low bass. The reson for this was to compensate for the quality of the stock speakers and their locations.

If you just add amps and better speakers you might end up with a system that is (a) way too bright (b) bit aggressive in the midbass - some like this effect but over longer sessions it gets tiring and (c) the low bass would have to boosted to compensate for the roll off in the HU.

I say this not to frighten you but I am speaking from the experience my wife had with her ANHC. Fortunately the TBHP gurus like Frank, B&T etc.. came to her rescue.

The option is (a) to get a dash kit with steering wheel control harness and use a nicer HU from Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion etc.. or (b) get a processor that will undo all the processing built into the stock HU. My wife insisted on having the stock look so she opted for the later. Either option will cost you about 30K (cost of dash kit+ harness+HU = cost of prociessor). Then you add the amps and speakers.

If however you are willing to try out amps and speakers without either of the 2 option please make sure that your installer will be able to take the products back in case you do not like the end result.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:48   #10
BHPian

@bhavit46. There is a JBL dealer on mithakhali Six road.
Balaji Motots.
(079)66300957

He has infinity and kappa in stock and also for demo. so you can check it out before you buy.
btw. Out of 10 Audio dealer on mithakhali road. only Balaji Guys know what is damping ? and that too he has only used once in Scorpio. He He.
So getting good Installer is an issue in ahmedabad.
Old 21st September 2009, 14:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Are you using the stock HU that comes with the ANHC?
Yes, I am planning to use the Stock HU.

Quote:
The option is (a) to get a dash kit with steering wheel control harness and use a nicer HU from Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion etc.. or (b) get a processor that will undo all the processing built into the stock HU. My wife insisted on having the stock look so she opted for the later. Either option will cost you about 30K (cost of dash kit+ harness+HU = cost of prociessor). Then you add the amps and speakers.
I also intent to retain the look of the stock HU. Which processor did you go for? What will be the cost of the processor?

Quote:
If however you are willing to try out amps and speakers without either of the 2 option please make sure that your installer will be able to take the products back in case you do not like the end result.
They have agreed for the same.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

The processor that was used on my wife's car was the Alpine PXE 650. Even after this processor was used we found the sound a tad too bright (this is because the processor does not give you a lot of control over the final sound balance) so we tricked the system to reduce the brightness by first running the calibration using the +3db switch on the XO of the components and then switching back to 0db on the XO.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:55   #13
BHPian

navin >>>>>>>>>> as you have got the first hand experience in adding a amp to your HU in ANHC i would like you to clarify me certain things , Iam pllanning to add a MTX active sub wooffer 12" to my ANHC. 1. will there be a marginal or exellent improvement in audio out put? 2. Can you rate me the performance improvement expected from 1 to 10, 3. Is the money approx 15k spent worth it? i need your advice immediately as i am planing to install in the commming week, bye

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 22nd September 2010 at 21:01.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The Stock HU has a huge ammount of EQ with a boost in the midbass a recessed uppoer midrange and a peaky treble and almost no low bass. If you just add amps and better speakers you might end up with a system that is (a) way too bright (b) bit aggressive in the midbass - some like this effect but over longer sessions it gets tiring and (c) the low bass would have to boosted to compensate for the roll off in the HU.

+1. no point spending on amp n component set unless you change HU. or simply go for a local bass bin - a pre-amped subwoofer.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Iam pllanning to add a MTX active sub wooffer 12" to my ANHC. 1. will there be a marginal or exellent improvement in audio out put? 2. Can you rate me the performance improvement expected from 1 to 10, 3. Is the money approx 15k spent worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
+1. no point spending on amp n component set unless you change HU. or simply go for a local bass bin - a pre-amped subwoofer.
Let me clarify things as best I can. What I am stating here holds true for many OEM systems.

1. OEM systems are built to a price point. This includes the speakers (which where much of the price cutting is).

2. OEM systems are often EQed (the ANHC is a severe case) so that the givne the cost cutting related shortcomings the system is tolerable. Some OEM HUs (like that was found on the 1996/97 Opel Astra) had no EQ but most OEM HUs post 2005 do.

3. A subwoofer/amp combo will improve the bass of a OEM system. It will however no improve the imaging, etc.. so if you are only adding a amp+subwoofer the imrovement you wil see is primarily in the bass. For some of you this is adequate, others might want more.

Before you decide to change your system define your goals.

The music you listen to, who long, how loud, your tastes and tolerances. Some have a clear picture of this others are not so clear. For those who are not clear it better to spend some time listening to friend's systems or systems at installers then to just "spray and pray" (a method used by many who walk into an installer and say "latest kya hai", dump some money on the table and leave and then expect a one size fits all solution.).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks