Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Best of luck with your endavour, Piyush! Do keep up updated. If I were you, I would look at the Alpine CDA-9887 too!

I would not recommend him the same.
In my order of preference : Eclipse CD7200MKii > Pioneer P800prs > Alpine CDA-9887
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

I know, Navinji. I am now vying to get that same 'herd's' attention. But they are super busy with a few full fledged installs. Will have to wait for a few weeks for 'em pods.
Will do some experimentation in position though.
I know, domes are different. But do try listening to this radiator once it's been burnt in completely. I mean, the detail from it is ABSOLUTELY mind blowing. Not to forget the fact that it goes LOW. Really low. Negates the need for a mid-range.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:02   #48
Team-BHP Support

"The Cowherd" has still not done my mom's 9987 switch. Thank god for him she is still in bed (atleast she is now able to go to the bath). Once she gets to driving again she will kill him if the stereo is not fixed.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised Alpine trusted you with safeguarding the secret of the upgrade to their 9887, the NEW 9987!! ROFL!
Old 24th September 2009, 00:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok but for tweeter frequency does the small opening really matter?
Tweeter plays equally imp role by adding definition to the rest of the music which is the most intergral part. Just hear the midbass, midrange speaker without the tweeter and let's see if one can like it.
Every tweeter has dispersion pattern whether horn loaded, soft dome, ring, metal dome, ribbon and others. Ring Radiators don't have wider dispersion pattern compared to the dome tweeters, that's more on-axis location is preferable. Apart from that any of these tweeters will play at its best as per the location that suits them the best.
There is also something called diffraction which again can add some harshness to the tweeter irrespective of the type. Tweeters are more sensitive as per mounting location and even minor change here and there could make a difference in the way they play.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:35   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I am surprised Alpine trusted you with safeguarding the secret of the upgrade to their 9887, the NEW 9987!! ROFL!
Oops. Dont tell Alpine! now where is "The Cowherd"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Every tweeter has dispersion pattern whether horn loaded, soft dome, ring, metal dome, ribbon and others. Ring Radiators don't have wider dispersion pattern compared to the dome tweeters, that's more on-axis location is preferable. Apart from that any of these tweeters will play at its best as per the location that suits them the best.
I have seen the results of a laser interferometer (LI) of the 9900 and a Vifa ring radiator (RR). This was many weeks after my listening tests. I wanted to put a scientific finger on why the dome tweeters were preferable (to my ear) than the RR (remember this was probably version 2 of Vifa's RR - much before the famed XT). While the results do look different I cannot c-relate how the differences seen in LI co-relate to what I heard.

Now remember that the 9900 itself has a shallow wave guide that restricts the dispersion. A super wide dispersion results in a not very focussed image lock. What I am assuming (this is very broad educated guess so please use a whole table spoon of salt) is that the QUALITY of the dispersion not the radiation pattern per se is what diffrentiates the RRs from a dome. This is why other HF drivers like the Heil AMT have people who swear by them.

anyone still awake?

Sam keeps warning me not to ramble on in my boring monotone. So my appologies to everyone.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thats a detailed pictorical of your setup, Congrats Frank

Btw no Disco-dandiya lights for bling
Old 24th September 2009, 11:00   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Olde audio saying "If you want lights go buy a Chritmas tree"
Old 24th September 2009, 11:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

frank bro.. please hide the tweeter wires which are visible on dashboard..

rest looks sweet !!
Old 24th September 2009, 17:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thats a detailed pictorical of your setup, Congrats Frank

heheh thank you. Disco lights are sponsored by Eclipse Cd7200MKII, but they are set to just one colour. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Olde audio saying "If you want lights go buy a Chritmas tree"
BUT, will a christmas tree sound as good? That is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
frank bro.. please hide the tweeter wires which are visible on dashboard..

rest looks sweet !!
As I said, the tweeter pods are going to be made in a while. No point making a conduit for the wires as of now. Will have them concealed in the A-pillar when finishing the install.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

oh ok..

i think i skipped reading about pods !!
Old 25th September 2009, 02:16   #57
BHPian

@abhinav bro
I am also thinking on same lines for Eclipse or Pioneer. But still confused . you have been using the eclipse for sometime now. Advantages and disadvantages from your point of view. I would be auditioning your Octavia in days to come when you are free and if you permit so as to get a diff. b/w pioneer and Eclipse and then decide
Old 25th September 2009, 03:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
@abhinav bro
I am also thinking on same lines for Eclipse or Pioneer. But still confused . you have been using the eclipse for sometime now. Advantages and disadvantages from your point of view. I would be auditioning your Octavia in days to come when you are free and if you permit so as to get a diff. b/w pioneer and Eclipse and then decide
It's got to be Eclipse no second thought about it, it's more warm, produces better imaging, has better low end response. Have heard Frank's previous setup sounded absolutely Clean.

Yet waiting to hear new one.. Doc when is it happening, time for a mini meet.

Last edited by Invinsible : 25th September 2009 at 03:03.
Old 25th September 2009, 05:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
@abhinav bro

Ummm.
For auditioning you can get one in december and in june directly after that.
I'm in UK right now, but an audition can be arranged for you if you want ( in my absence)

Pioneer vs Eclipse. Lets c.
The Eclipse is a much more cleaner head unit than the pioneer.
Its like a step up than the pioneer ( that's what i felt)
Its detailing is better and it sounds sweeter than the pioneer.

It might be a bit brighter than the pioneer but its not harsh which most brightness is linked to. It is mainly because it gives you a more open sound. ( the sound is much more natural and not subdued like in the case of P80( When compared) )

It beats the P80 hands down in my opinion and is worth the extra bucks.

Drawback - No WAV file playback through the USB. You need to burn audio cds ( but thats what you do when you have a good built ICE)

Pathetic screen when compared to the P80 and most other head units.

Its a no frills.

If you are planning to add rear fills and run them off the hu through the eclipse, then i'm sorry but you either have to look for another hu or cancel the rear fills coz it does not have an in built amplifier.

Perfect if you want a 2/3 way active setup.

All in all, i'd recommend you the eclipse over the pioneer anyday
Old 25th September 2009, 10:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Finally had my system tuned by Ajay.
First impressions:
**Please keep in mind that the equipment has had only about 4-5 hours of play time, hence the experience will change over a period of time.**

The Components: The Alpines have made it a daily habit to surprise me every single time I listen to them. Every hour, they are changing in the quality (and quantity) of sound (read: improving).
The HEAVILY damped door are acting like good houses for the Alpine Midbasses that have been fitted WITHOUT any cutting or chiseling of metal/plastic. This, alongwith the flush fitting 5 by 7 adaptor provides a TIGHT, firm base for the speakers to rest on, and kick hard. Every time I start my journey, I appreciate the finesse and speed with which the Alpine Mids are kicking. There is NO issue with the small grille (speaker openings in the doors) and from my (puny) listening abilities, I can vouch for the fact that frequencies are not being suppressed as such.
The bass from the woofers (in the doors) is articulate, tight and the instant feeling of a 'kick' is observed. I never knew Alpine speakers would make me so happy. The woofers are considered as the 'weak link' of the set internationally, and I don't know why. I would say they are AS competent as the tweeters (ring radiators).

NOW, coming to the tweeters. They are the talking point on all international forums. From their reviews, I learnt (before buying the set) that the tweeters are 'open' sounding and very airy. Detailing is immaculate and the tweeter can go HIGH (without a semblance of harshness) and LOW (really low sometimes; scary low even, sometimes)
Liveliness is it's forte and as has been said a million times before, I am able to perceive instruments that I never knew, existed. Even in songs like Hotel California, which I can say, I have officially heard the most number of times, the tweeters have been churning out magic. Note by note. The passenger side tweeter has been placed on axis for me, and the driver side tweeter faces the passenger.
There is ONE MORE super thing that I want to speak about, and that is the imaging. I know it's the head unit, and the fact that I have rambled about it before, but I would like to add to that by saying that the (relatively) higher position of the woofers in the doors and the high placement of the tweeters on the dash have done wonders to the soundstage. The sound is NOW emanating from the center of the bonnet (something many people love to have). For me, it's new, and it's an eerie feeling as it feels that the performer of the music is performing just in front of me (slightly to the left, as I like it)
The bass from the mids is SO well centred that it gives one goosebumps sometimes. The imaging is really spot on this time, and I would like to thank Ford (and of course, Eclipse) for that ;-)

You'll must be surprised that I have only spoken about the front stage.
I have the sub stage in mind, but will comment on it ONLY when the rear speakers are removed from the shelf. They were stifling the bass from the sub (which incidentally is kicking SOSOOOOOSO hard that the shelf is going to vibrate to it's death if there is no airspace made for the air below it (to come into the cabin). Even then, the subwoofer feels like it's playing from the centre console and that is PARAMOUNT.

Initial review in a sentence:
The system sounds composed, detailed and punchy at any given volume.

BUT, we still have a lot of burning in to do (hence more performance to extract out of the equipment). So stay tuned for more information.

****Special mention must be made about Noisekill. The damping is very very effective and I want to make a point here. If ever anyone wants to upgrade their system, the first set of upgrades must ALWAYS include generous amounts of damping. It goes a long way in ensuring that the speakers are belting out music the way they are supposed to, and not impeded/accompanied by the symphony of cheap, vibrating plastic.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks