Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Making a DIY 3 way

Had always wanted a 3 way setup, but too expensive and/or unavailable.

Recently one of my rear coax was damaged, but the mids are still intact
Making a DIY 3 way-img_3254.jpg
My dash has a stock location to put the 3 way, but will there be any issues with such a setup?

planning to add a first order high pass filter ( ie a simple capacitor in series )

what crossover frequency should be a good rule of thumb?
the mid basses are 5.25"
the mid is 2"

the reason is, i sorely miss the vocals when listening to country etc. there is this hole in the middle of the frequency band. had been earlier toying with the idea of using a pair o 4"ers, but with a pair of otherwise useless 6x9's, this idea occured to me

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd September 2009 at 22:41.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do you have enough space to put in a 6x9 in dash or front doors?
is this of any help
3-Way APC Crossover Designer / Calculator

Even i am moving the 6x9s to front door for two way setup.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had this plan of making a 3 way, along with another bhp-ian, but we didn't have a car to put it in! so the project got shelved!
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'm not putting a 6x9 in front. i have 5" comps in front. planning to use the 2" mids from my damaged 6x9's Attachment 174321 as a 3 way to bring some badly needed mid frequencies to the front
I know how to design a crossover. Just wondering which frequency to pick for the crossover since the data is not available on the induvidual drivers
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

2" mids would be too small to make proper vocals i think. Why not experiment with a cheap Jbl 4"??
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yea.
atleast 4" will be good.
Plus you need to do a lot of testing as you would want your tweeter to be as close to the mids as possible.

I guess the gurus would be able to help you better. .

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 23rd September 2009 at 00:00.
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

the speakers need to sound similar I think, Using a JBL would upset the balance.
besides, not sure if a coax can give as good mids.

2" is not bad. shoud give a better dispersion pattern, and my mid basses are small in the first place

I'm gonna try this anyway. i have the stuff lying around, all i need is to hook it up

question is , what cutoff for the HPF

Edit: just looked up the spec. it's a 2.5" mid range !

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd September 2009 at 00:06.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Had always wanted a 3 way setup, but too expensive and/or unavailable. Recently one of my rear coax was damaged, but the mids are still intact..My dash has a stock location to put the 3 way, but will there be any issues with such a setup?
planning to add a first order high pass filter ( ie a simple capacitor in series )
what crossover frequency should be a good rule of thumb?
the mid basses are 5.25"
the mid is 2"
Quote:
I know how to design a crossover. Just wondering which frequency to pick for the crossover since the data is not available on the induvidual drivers
Quote:
2" is not bad. shoud give a better dispersion pattern, and my mid basses are small in the first place
Edit: just looked up the spec. it's a 2.5" mid range !
Greenie,
man you are really getting me excited. why? becuase I have been "there". What I used for the front and rear (in a Contessa) were Polk MM2200 mid-tweeter modules with a 2nd order HP XO for the mid and a 1st order HP for the tweeter. The woofer was the MM6501. I found I could push the 2" mid to about 700Hz @ 12db/octave.

I am sure that your mid being 20 years more modern can be pushed atleast as low. If you want to go 1st order, go up an octave. You will have to DIY a mounting bracket and while you are at it make the bracket so that the mid and tweeter are on the same brakcet (with a XO of about 4K between the mid and tweeter you want them as physically close together as possible) and tilted towards the passengers.

BTW there is a pic of the MM2200 on DIYMA (dont ask me how to google this - I use the RAM in my head which is already pretty rusty). It was on one of the "Old School Install" or "Old School Showoff" threads. Something like that.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info navin. I listen to a lot of old country songs, If you've heard of Jim Reeves, he is pretty much the reason I have a sub. He was a crooner, and his voice is pretty mellow, and lacks substance on the 2 way right now. with a first order (6dB) I hope this one can stand 700 Hz too. It used to be directly connected to the output in the 6x9.

I havent decided on the placement yet. The tweeters are already installed in holes at the base of the A pillar

Too hard to remove the tweeter at this point, and it will leave a hole in the A pillar.

Plus I've always planned on installing in the stock location , the space for the 4" on the dash you can see in the same picture. Its pretty close to where the tweeter is.

Doubt. Is it better to put the mid with a spacer on the existing 4" slot and cover it with the stock grille ( disadvantage - stock grille is a bit thick, not very 'transparent')
Or get a spare grille and cut a slot in it and install the mid there, (mid will get dusty sooner, plus might look tacky)
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you've heard of Jim Reeves
with a first order (6dB) I hope this one can stand 700 Hz too. It used to be directly connected to the output in the 6x9.

I havent decided on the placement yet. The tweeters are already installed in holes at the base of the A pillar Too hard to remove the tweeter at this point, and it will leave a hole in the A pillar.

Doubt. Is it better to put the mid with a spacer on the existing 4" slot and cover it with the stock grille
Greenie,
1. I have heard of Jim Reeves. I am surprised you have (given your age). :-)
2. 700Hz @ 6db I dont know. then again Bose and many others use 2.5" drivers fullrange. Are you sure the 2.5" was direct with no XO when it was part of the 690?
3. too bad I would have prefered the tweeter and mid to be on the same axis. the way you intend to do it the mid and tweeter will be firing at a 90 deg angle.
4. put a spacer and use the original grill. leaving the mid exposed will risk it being damaged.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

1. My dad and mom are both Huge fans of his. They say I've been a fan of his even before I was born

2. I couldn't find anything in between the wiring - though there is a cap, but i assumed it is for the tweeter of the 6x9 ( will post close ups)

If it doesn't work out, I'll try crossing it higher. Lets see

4. will do. thanks

EDIT @ pramod, yup I did (details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1494479)

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd September 2009 at 12:12.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice DIY, Best of luck.

OT: You got your car back?

Pramod
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

What we need is each of the drivers parameters to determine what freq they can handle. Beyond that it's also about getting the slope right. What ever you choose to decide make sure you cross check it. Also, imp would be to find about their power rating.
There are many way can do this. You can add the mid to your componenet xover in place of the midbass and run mids and tweeter passive that way and run the midbass active. Or build a 3 way xover.
Or you run it all 3 with the HU active xover and make the sub run with the help of amp xover.
Ways are many. But as I said until the parameters are not known, it's all about experimenting and there are ways for that too.

Last edited by Invinsible : 23rd September 2009 at 13:06.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the last few lines on my previous post, mistook it with another greeny, there too many greeny in here.

Am not aware with the rest of your setup and what midbass and tweeter are using?
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have a Hertz Dieci DSK 130 component. the Matching 6x9's - DCX690 were damaged recently in an accident. I'm planning to add the mids used in the oval to the comps.

Current plan is to leave the comps as they are. Connect the mid via a first order LPF ( capacitor) at a cutoff of about 700 hz or more.
I assume the mid should be fine as it was connected directly to the input in the 6x9 where it was used earlier, but there is a capacitor , there, so i will confirm and get back.

Planning to go all passive. - all I have is an HU - the comps are not amped, and there are no fancy settings on the HU either. the need is to compensate for the loss of mids from the mid bass mounted in the door due to the reduced off axis response.

The other person is greenh0rn, who i believe is trying to tune his illusion comps

Most Viewed