Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 16:58   #1
BHPian

Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3

Greetings fellow t-bhpians.

Well, my journey for ICE began 2 months before I actually booked my car.
I remember spending nights just reading and learning about audio systems and all. It was such a learning experience reading t-bhp and various online audio websites. Finally, bought the car in June and the ICE was installed within days. I actually spent another month just fine-tuning the setup to get the desired sound.

Its a pure SQ-oriented system! The mid-bass is a bit lacking but with 4 inch components, you couldn't wish more! The sound-stage, vocals and the crisp sound of tabla and dhol drums from the Illusion! Am amazed...

As for the setup, well I ain't that good at writing so I'll let the pics do the talking but thanks to all t-bhpians for their advice specially abhibh for some great advice on equipment, chiragh for recommending one of the better car-audio shops in Chd and B&T for shipping the Illusions to Chd (and some free gyan on the sub ).

So, here we go

The ride
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0903.jpg

The Kenwood 5539
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0904.jpg

This extremely small thing can read microSDHC cards!
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0906.jpg

Illusion Audio EL 4.1 components
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-01.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-03.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-04.jpg

Tweeters surface mounted on A-Pillar
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0910.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0911.jpg

Blaupunkt GT12 Subwoofer (the bass is extremely smooth, pure SQ sub)
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0913.jpg

The 6X9 co-axials with the sub
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0914.jpg

Polk Audio db690 (Laid-back sound!)
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0916.jpg

The Sub box - 45 litres approx (provides an optimum level of tight punch as well as smooth thump)
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0917.jpg

The head-unit again
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0919.jpg

Driven by Kenwood M845 Amp placed under seat, so no pics but here is how it looks
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-app_1.jpg

Ahem..... any upgrades in sight?
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0921.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_0922.jpg

Some details on equipment pricing as requested

HU - Kenwood 5539 - 6k with B&W
Amp - Kenwood M845 - 6.5k with B&W
Rear - Polk db690 - 5.2k with B&W
Sub - Blaupunkt GTw 1200 (200W RMS) - 2.6k with B&W
Front - Illusion Audio EL4.1 ~ 5k with B&W
Wiring - JBL Fake (2 RCAs) - 1.8k

Last edited by Samurai : 7th October 2009 at 09:32. Reason: as requested
Old 28th September 2009, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the setup. Looks nice.

Isn't the enclosure a bit too big.

45 litres means ~1.58 ft^3.

Did you try a smaller box or is this recommended size?

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 28th September 2009 at 17:45.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a super-cool set up and I loved the alloys too. You defenitely have a good sense of aesthetics. Now can the car take this enormous power thats punched out ? Any damping works done ? No mention anywhere. Please put more details, if posssible an idea about the equipment pricing too. It will help a lot of members who might be considering these brands.

Last edited by shajufx : 28th September 2009 at 18:23.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:50   #4
BHPian

Were you talking about the power windows? or is that a the standard feature in your model?
Old 28th September 2009, 19:04   #5
BHPian

Nice setup and a nice set of wheels. Seems like you got the after market power windows fitted. Nice and clean install.
Old 28th September 2009, 22:04   #6
BHPian

@abhinav
Yep, the recommended box size is 44 litres for sealed.
This is the 4th box for the sub. :P

@shajufx
Thanks! Damping, well yes did a bit for the front components in the dash. Had to seal all the air gaps and also made a small pocket for the mid bass drivers.
As for the sub, I liked the sound when its facing upwards and luckily this doesn't create rattling sound from the boot. The only thing that made some noise was the brake light attached at the rear window, and that's taken care of.

@amith
Nope, they are after-market P/W. I'd keep the question open for a few Alto members.

@pranava
Thanks dude! I checked out the P/W by Xenox and Autocop. Xenox, the buttons pad was in black, and Autocop had this ugly after-market 'feel' to it, so went with RD. The installation was professional.
Old 28th September 2009, 22:52   #7
BANNED

nice setup.
how do you compare a woofer box with port and a sealed box?
Old 28th September 2009, 23:11   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Nice setup "the lord". Judging by the way you were talking in our short meet the other day, seems like we're gonna have some updates on this thread soon. ICE keeda we call it
Old 28th September 2009, 23:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Goooood pimped out Alto. Great ICE, and awesome music. And they say that happiness lies in other crap ;-)
Old 29th September 2009, 00:47   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the setup man.
At first glance i thought the sub was 15inch.May be the enclosure fooled me to think it as 15. .BTW thats a big enclosure.

Looking at the boot section,i think this car is your daily drive and will not be used for any luggage carrying.Hmm
Old 29th September 2009, 00:50   #11
BHPian

Nice Setup 'The Lord' , congratulations!
The components seem to be installed cleanly, especially the tweeters, where was the setup done?
Kenwood 5539 takes in Micro SD cards too? , i never knew that! I have the similar model in my car, would try it first thing tomorrow.

Have you used some special 'cap' for the Micro SD card as is visible on the end which remains on the outer side?

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 29th September 2009, 01:19   #12
BHPian

Thanks everyone!

@monty
Not sure if I got you right but if you asked how ported and sealed boxes differ in the way the same sub-woofer sounds, then I'd say sealed boxes are easy to make, need less volume, consume more power and are more SQ oriented (using SQ very loosely here). The ported boxes if tuned/ported properly go louder than the sealed ones, need less power as the port works along with the sub to produce sound. Depends totally on the type of music one listens too, some of my friends who are into Hip-Hop/Bhangra prefer ported over the sealed ones.

@shresth
Yep! The keedaa is driving a lot of research as of now.

@jsrakkar
Thanks dude, the install was done at Puri Sons - 28.
And please don't try the microSD just so soon. The special 'cap' is actually a microSD card reader. Its an extremely tiny device and works great!
Here you go...

dealextreme.com/ details.dx/sku.25558
Old 29th September 2009, 09:51   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Tweeters surface mounted on A-Pillar
The 6X9 co-axials with the sub
for a thief the tweeters on the A pillar and boxes in the rear are a dead giveaway.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

good to see that you posted here after a long time..

i heard your setup and it sounds very nice... but if you ask me ... nothing is actually required.. just a better sub box for tighter kick say 1cu feet is enough ..

about 6.5 inch compos , just get illusion mids and mount them on door pads as this is best you can do cause illusion crossovers and tweeters won't require a change.... but this will require expertise for mounting and good amount of damping and also fiber glass on door pads as done by shreyasma on Safari door pads !!

and i would recommend you to get better RCA wires !!
Old 29th September 2009, 11:18   #15
BHPian

That's unfortunately true navin ji. The car is mostly parked at safe places as of now (Home/Company Parking) but for the occasional outside parking, I change the sub position (facing backwards) and place a parcel tray on top. That way, just the 6X9 co-axials are visible.

@chiragh
Thanks dude. I am going to audition a few more setups before deciding whether to upgrade to 6.5" or not.

As for the sub-box, the reason its this size is because of the kind of music I listen to. I need low end extension in bass. The smaller the box, the tighter the bass gets and this size is just an optimum mix of low end extension and tight punch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks