Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 17:39   #1

Laura head unit change - please help

A big hello to all the gurus, guys I have a 2006 skoda laura AT L&K, the o.e system in the car is great in quality till your mp3 cd's are concerned. I am desperate to connect an I-POD, and unluckily my car does not have the aux port in the centre arm rest.

I have two options - either to connect an aux port cable to my existing H U,
or change the H U to a two din dvd unit. Here i wnat to know wether changing the H U in the laura to any aftermarket one, have any compatibility issues with the rest of the set up of the car and the o.e amp of the car. Really in a dilemna - please advise.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:19   #2
BHPian

Well Friend, there's no big deal in replacing the stock Headunit with another High Quality Double Din Player without any major modifications with the wiring in making connections. Laura Center armrest does have an Aux input to which you can connect the MP3 Player, however if its somehow missing (may not have been released in 2006), then you may check in for the upgrade. Also, if your stock headunit (inside the console) is an Alpine, then you can easily add an iPOD Interface using i-Pod Interface cable from Alpine, you just need to get that checked if it has that PS/2 type black socket at the back and then it will be solved instantly. Regarding the amplifier, most stock systems use Headunit's built in Mosfet Amps to Power the speakers using Splitters at the Speaker Ends. However if there's a seperate amplifier, it should be comfortably able to accept any Headunit's PreAmp output. Just don't let them play with the Car Electronics and keep them limited to the wiring that is concerned with the Audio System only. Even if you go ahead and rewire the entire Audio System of your Car with another High Quality wire in addition to your Headunit, it will also not be a problem (Just the way I did in mine Skoda and the difference speaks for itself).
Old 6th October 2009, 16:04   #3

Hi Ashish,

Changing the HU in the Laura in no biggie provided the installer knows what he is doing. You have to make sure that the bugger does not splice or cut any wires as that could lead to warning lights going off in your car which can be pretty annoying....there are a few things to consider before you take the plunge.

1. You will loose the park assist display once you change the HU
2. Steering controls will not work unless you get a aftermarket steering control adaptor
3. Not sure about this but you might even loose the audible assist for the park tronic once you ditch the stock HU

The upside to all these factors is that you get fantastic sound quality with an aftermarket HU and speakers plus a decent amp will completely change the crap sound that you currently get.

There are a few connectors and dash kits that are specifically made for the Laura to house a single DIN or double DIN HU. PM me if you need details on where these can be procured.

HTH

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks