Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 01:48   #31
BHPian

Gurus,a little 'Basics' gyaan sharing please? XO settings and filter settings...

I never really bothered about tuning/sq earlier because I did not have a setup that was worthy of the time or effort. However, now that I have a decent set of equipment, I would like to learn a little as well as enjoy the satisfaction of being able to tune the setup to suit my musical preferences

Am trying to tune from my Amp and don't want to use the HU's HPF/Loud Ctrl/SLA/Preset Eqs, for this purpose.

Am looking for advice and answers to my questions and doubts, on using the HPF and crossover settings. Forgive me if my questions are very basic and seem oft repeated/common elsewhere.

I want to be clear with the basics before I further tinker around with the settings. My amp is a 5 channel amp, and has the following gain/crossover controls and speakers connected

Channel 1/2 - Illusion electra 6.1 components
Gain Control --> Have a fair idea as to setting the gain level after reading a thread here, and some 'googling'.
Filter -> Off , HP and LP
Crossover --> 30Hz to 400 Hz
  • If I leave the filter on 'off', will the amp then send the full range of freqs to the components (channel 1 and 2)?
    • Also when the filter is in the 'off' position, will the crossover be deactivated? (it won't matter if the xo freqs are either at 30Hz (min) or 400Hz)
  • If I activate the HPF, what would be the ideal freq setting for the crossover? Anywhere between 60Hz to 80Hz?
Channel 3/4 - JBL GTO 947 limited - coaxials
Gain Control -> Intend to set it lower than the gain for the front channel
Filter -> Off , HP and LP
Crossover --> 30Hz to 400 Hz
  • As of now I have kept things simple and decided to HPF both the front and rear channels at the same freq. Is that the right thing to do or can I set PF at diff freqs for Channel 1/2 (Higher, say 60hz) and 3/4 (40Hz/Full range) keeping in mind that it doesn't strain the woofers?
Subwoofer - Illusion Audio 12" Luccent sub
Gain control -> A little unsure on the tuning front. but trusting my ears.
  • Any advice?
LP Filter --> 50Hz to 200 Hz
  • Presuming that the LP and XO frequency will be set at either where the HPF of the rear channels or front channel ends.
Thanks in advance for your patience through the long post.

DISCLAIMER: Pic is just for reference and the settings are not the actual settings on my setup!!
ICEing up the wagon!-dsc02348.jpg

Last edited by pranava999 : 15th October 2009 at 02:01.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:36   #32
BHPian

Channel 1/2 - Illusion electra 6.1 components

HPF - 75-80 Hz would be good!

Channel 3/4 - JBL GTO 947 limited - coaxials

Option 1
HPF - 75-80 Hz (if music is required for back seat passengers too)

Option 2
LPF - 180 - 200 Hz (for best soundstage)
Rear co-axials will just fill in some bass.

For option 1, gains will need to be set in a way, that the rear-coaxials do not interfere with the front soundstage. Trust your ears!

Subwoofer - Illusion Audio 12" Luccent sub

LPF - 80 Hz

Am not sure about your head-unit, but I always prefer to set HPF/LPF settings in the HU itself. Gains can be set so that the moderate music volume is at 75-80% of the max volume of the head-unit.

Hope this helps!
Old 15th October 2009, 13:46   #33
BHPian

@lord - Sure does help, have been thinking along similar lines . Thanks .
Old 18th October 2009, 17:57   #34
BHPian

Finally the Pics

Sorry for the delay in putting up the pics.Work and festivities coming in the way. Here they are finally.I am not ure how many of you are interested, but here goes..

The Unknown Pioneer HU
ICEing up the wagon!-hu.jpg

The JBL Limited 947 6x9 coaxial, rear fills...must say I really like a 5 way set up - The 947s are rather too bright but work well as rear fills.

ICEing up the wagon!-9471.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-rear.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-rear-2.jpg

The front components - Illusion electra 6.1 - Not bad at all. ound pretty sweet

ICEing up the wagon!-illus.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-illusi2.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-illus2.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 19th October 2009 at 09:19. Reason: on request
Old 18th October 2009, 18:20   #35
BHPian

tweeter

ICEing up the wagon!-sub.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-sub1.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-alpi.jpg

ICEing up the wagon!-dsc02370.jpg

the ALPINE PDX 5 - Was not sure what to expect from it, but does match up to whats written online about it. Very impressed by its performance. Very good mid and high reproduction. Waiting to upgrade the HU to truly utilise its potential

Last edited by Dippy : 19th October 2009 at 09:12. Reason: on request aligning and removing duplicate pics
Old 18th October 2009, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Looks nice. Is it the grill provided with illusions?
Old 18th October 2009, 22:53   #37
BHPian

Nice setup and great pics.

Why don't you tear out the cover of the sub enclosure ? It will blend with the surroundings better.

@Shreyasma

Electras are not provided with the grill as far as i know.

Last edited by jithudigitised : 18th October 2009 at 22:55.
Old 18th October 2009, 23:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Nice setup and great pics.

Why don't you tear out the cover of the sub enclosure ? It will blend with the surroundings better.

@Shreyasma

Electras are not provided with the grill as far as i know.
Thanks buddy,they don't come with the covers unless asked for. This was a little bit of jugaad to protect them.

Thanks Jithu. Will tear out the cover soon.

Note from Team BHP Support
Please use the edit feature if posting within 20 mins
Instead of making back to back posts
Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 19th October 2009 at 21:11. Reason: back 2 back posts
Old 19th October 2009, 10:52   #39
BHPian

Okay! I didnt know about this.
Old 19th October 2009, 16:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Electras by Coustic. He he.

By the way, You might want to move the crossovers of the comps someplace else. After slamming the door shut a few dozen times, you might find one midbass and/ or tweeter not working.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Electras by Coustic. He he.

By the way, You might want to move the crossovers of the comps someplace else. After slamming the door shut a few dozen times, you might find one midbass and/ or tweeter not working.
Kya kare aap se tho request ki hai covers ke liye....kaam karva dijiye saabji.

Yes I Have to move the XOs somewhere else. Have already experienced the left channel going out. Initially wanted it fit behind the panel but there no cavity deep enough.

Any suggestions as to where they can be moved?
Old 19th October 2009, 23:25   #42
BHPian

Check whether they can be moved to the upper position of the accelerator and also the same position on the co-driver seat.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:22   #43
BHPian

First Impressions

It's been a week since the install and numerous DIY tuning runs and have finally settled in on a 2.1 set up. Reason being I like the sound signature of the illussions and felt that the rear 947s were a little too bright and coloured for my taste. (Not talking about the JBL orange logo, I like that). Its comforting though to know that if I have passengers in the rear, I just have to plug in the RCAs, but am contemplating powering the components in bridged mode.

Finally the wife has realised why I was so insanely besotted with my ICE quest and spending hours on the forum and internet and also post dinnertime tuning, or as she refers to it as 'tooning around'.

The grin on her face and 'woooow man....' expression, everytime she listens to her favourite pop/hindi tracks at high volumes is priceless and also quietly satisfying. At times have half a mind to use the infamous words..."I told you so".She is also quite surprised that the frequency of after dinner drives to the nearest ice cream parlour has increased and that I don't complain of having to drive in B'lores chaotic traffic even during peak hours or cuss through minor traffic snarls.

Now coming back to the equipment.Overall satisfaction with my present setup - 7.5/10

Alpine PDX 5
- Overall 9/10
  • Was very apprehensive at first about going in for this amp but have no regrets about it. Just love it
  • The strong mid and high frequencies production shines through and gets noticed at first. However, the bass/low frequencies production is good if not great and also largely depends on other factors such as the source unit and the subwoofer and it's enclosure
Illusion Electra 6.1 - Overall 8/10
  • Was not sure what to expect with the newer version but after a few hours of listening the first thing that comes to mind is that they are great value for money and I could not have asked for more right now
  • Lovely sound signature and not too bright or coloured
  • Waiting for a new head unit to work it to its full potential
Illusion Luccent LM 12" subwoofer - 8.5/10
  • Being accustomed to 'SPL' subs that are so popular the Luccent sub initially did come accross as one thats comparitively quiet. However after a little tweaking of the LPF and freqs, the bass reproduction is very natural and tight, the way I like it. The change in HU should bring out its potential.
  • A sub that may not go 'BOOM BOOM' but never the less makes its presence felt.
The Pio HU with its low pre out voltage seems to be the weakest link in the chain and does tend to do injustice to the rest of the equipment. 6/10

I'm pretty sure that someone more experienced on the tuning side of things, and has a ear for music can do a lot more justice and bring out its full potential.

Will keep you posted with my impressions of the ICE post the HU change in a few weeks time and until then can't wait to hear antonio vivaldi, dire straits, floyd , rehman....like I have never heard them before.

Last edited by pranava999 : 24th October 2009 at 22:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks