Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 13:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Ravvs, now you need to unleash that collection through the momo's from the site that Suren shared with you
Old 12th October 2009, 14:33   #17
BHPian

hey Ravvndra congrats !
Hope the ride is more plesant now !!

What do you prefer .. the GTX growl or David Gilmour Guitar notes ??
Old 12th October 2009, 14:48   #18
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ravveendrra! (Is this really the way you spell your name?)

Your thread is just what I was looking for my GTX's upgrade too. Must say, a nice kit.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:50   #19
BHPian

Congratulations, Ravveendrra.

Yet another jewel in your crown.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:22   #20
BHPian

Exhaust system

Without doubt the best ICE you can have in the GTX is a good end can. You need not change the full exhaust as the system is free flow to begin with. The only area of constriction is aft of the first muffler. The V bent and the piping aft of the first muffler near the rear left wheel assembly is what robs the GTX of much of the symphony. A good end can that does not make the sound any louder is the best prescription for music in the GTX. I do have a audio system in my GTX but rarely does it win over the whistling of the engine and the rasp from the exhaust at 4000rpm. To each his own though. In fact there would be very few souls who would drown out the 16 valve FIAT symphony with audio gear when the traffic is light. I guess you drive in heavily congested traffic to enjoy audio music over 16 valve FIAT music. Am I seriously going off topic.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats raveendra. you should have got a basic sub too since you have 2 channels lying idle.
Old 12th October 2009, 18:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post

Congrats on the install buddy , my audition is due, i would love to check out the front compos as i am planing for POLK too.
let me know when can we audition.
You are welcome to audition it anytime just let us Hydeez know your travel plans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
.....BTW, I expected HRH RR to post this query--'Arre yaar, why does he need a better system to listen to songs like "I am Anamika from Allahabad" ?'
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Venu sir, that song is only for RR.
LOL RR has gone in the other direction - to Chennai so he will get Malli there.

Pulsar asked for and got Pink Floyd on the way back from Bidar - all of the 2 CDs of The Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Ravvs, now you need to unleash that collection through the momo's from the site that Suren shared with you
Not Momos - just the lowly db - but still damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
hey Ravvndra congrats !
Hope the ride is more plesant now !!

What do you prefer .. the GTX growl or David Gilmour Guitar notes ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Without doubt the best ICE you can have in the GTX is a good end can. You need not change the full exhaust as the system is free flow to begin with. The only area of constriction is aft of the first muffler. The V bent and the piping aft of the first muffler near the rear left wheel assembly is what robs the GTX of much of the symphony. A good end can that does not make the sound any louder is the best prescription for music in the GTX. I do have a audio system in my GTX but rarely does it win over the whistling of the engine and the rasp from the exhaust at 4000rpm. To each his own though. In fact there would be very few souls who would drown out the 16 valve FIAT symphony with audio gear when the traffic is light. I guess you drive in heavily congested traffic to enjoy audio music over 16 valve FIAT music. Am I seriously going off topic.
Thanks and both of you have hit the nail on the head. On clear roads, the best ICE in a GTX is the car itself. Nothing comes close to the music played by that lovely engine. The music system is for crawls in the city where we cannot move the car into the 'music' territory i.e. over 4000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Congrats raveendra. you should have got a basic sub too since you have 2 channels lying idle.
We have split the left and right output (rear) from the HU into two and fed them into the front and rear inputs on the amp so all 4 channels are being used. A sub is not possible until I put in a new HU with 5 pre-outs.

Thanks JVH, I wish you all the best on your ICE expedition.

Thanks Ardy and all the rest.
Old 12th October 2009, 18:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow Raveendra ji. Those were some fantastic photos. Your penchant for perfection shows in everything. Cheers sir!
Old 12th October 2009, 22:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Part III, the sound journey begins.

Thanks Frank, I am flattered by your words. It is in fact your Fiesta ICE thread that got me started on getting the ICE fixed. When I read your thread I told myself - "Maybe not so much, but the GTX does deserve a wee bit of a music system", thanks again.

Back to the story:

All connections in place we fire up the system. What a revelation it is! What comes out actually sounds like music instead of the grrrrr, bzzzzzz, kritch-krrrritch that used to come out earlier.

I sit at the controls and quickly notice that the fader does not work, I can live with that. Next, I notice that changing balance to Left moves the sound to the rear and moving it to the right moves it to the front - no go ....what will happen to all those wonderfully mixed numbers where the guitars and drum solos move from left to right and vice-versa.

Hamid removes the HU and quickly re-does the connections. Aaaah, yes the balance works the way it is supposed to (it also means I can move the balance a wee bit to the left so that I hear both channels equally. I find the rear too strong so we reduce the rear levels a wee bit.

I play some Deep Purple and Hotel California as well as some slow passages and decide that the set up is workable. Thanks to Absynthguzzler, I know that Amps have to be tuned and that is the next task. Perhaps I should get Absynthguzzler to do it for me. Ayya, whenever you can take time off from your erections please have a look the amp.

Putting in the front compos and a 4 channel amp has made one thing clear. How bad my rear speakers and HU are! If one sits where one hears all the speakers, it sounds as if it were two cars or two systems playing the same song simultaneously. I might move to better ovals at the rear in a while. The HU's SQ is pretty bad and this is being brought out clearly by the amp. Ouch, this ICE thing is getting to be expensive. Perhaps I should just get myself a new end-can and drive with the windows down. (LOL).

First impressions:

Polk Components: Very good, just as described in TBHP. They do have a tendency to be a little bright but this is easily corrected by tuning the amp. and setting the crossover threshold appropriately.

JBL GT series amp.: Seems competent and capable of delivering the goods. I will know only after the system is tuned.

It is such bliss to listen to decent music while stuck in traffic jams. Now I better go read the owners manuals for the amp. and speakers.

Cheers,
Old 13th October 2009, 02:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
OT: Planning to go to hyderabad for the audition garry
OH ****,
Didnt see that, he is from hydrabad, but still good install.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:41   #26
BHPian

Just another link

Here is the link to another thread where a few of my suggestions for the rear speakers are there for you to test in the future.
Hope you do not spoil the sound stage by using overly bright rear speakers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post1528360

Last edited by drpullockaran : 13th October 2009 at 11:42.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:57   #27
BHPian

Ravvendra my wify caught me reading your thread this morning . and her reaction " No not again" !! I think am going to copy your set up, though am confused on a HU.

Congrats enjoy ! My suggestions on the Tracks you should try out :(Completely OT - hope you dnt mind)
  1. Love Struck Romeo - Dire straits ( great guitar Notes)
  2. Hey Jude - beatles
  3. Hotel califonia
  4. Riders on the Storm - Snoop Dog (It really pumps you up for petal to metal driving)
  5. Beat It - MJ
have all the originals would be glad to share if you feel like.

Cheers !
Old 13th October 2009, 12:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Doc for that linky - subscribed to it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Ravvendra my wify caught me reading your thread this morning . and her reaction " No not again" !! I think am going to copy your set up, though am confused on a HU.

Congrats enjoy ! My suggestions on the Tracks you should try out :(Completely OT - hope you dnt mind)
  1. Love Struck Romeo - Dire straits ( great guitar Notes)
  2. Hey Jude - beatles
  3. Hotel califonia
  4. Riders on the Storm - Snoop Dog (It really pumps you up for petal to metal driving)
  5. Beat It - MJ
have all the originals would be glad to share if you feel like.

Cheers !
Hi Varun,

The general opinion regarding HUs seems to be that the following are good: Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, Eclipse & Blaupunkt. For the front components - I would suggest 5 1/4" compos but audition Polk, Hertz, Illusions, Infiniti etc before making up your mind.

I have Riders on the Storm by the Doors, havent heard Snoop Dog must check it out on SoulSeek.

Cheers,
Old 13th October 2009, 12:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have Riders on the Storm by the Doors, havent heard Snoop Dog must check it out on SoulSeek.

Cheers,
If you want to check the mid-range and bass of your newly installed components, then nothing to beat " Lay Low" by Snoop Dogg. The initial bass will simply blow your mind
Old 13th October 2009, 13:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

I thought you had a 2channel amp lying around.

Most Viewed