Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 17:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I thought you had a 2channel amp lying around.
Yes, I am holding it in reserve and might use it if and when I put in a sub-woofer.

I have started the tuning process today.

The front volume is set to just below where it gets unclear (the rear a little lower than the front).

The fronts are set to "HP" and the rear to "Flat" if this does not work out - I will move the front to "Flat" too.

The rear crossover is set very close to min. the front is set to a little over middle. I am sure this is going to take many days before I find the ideal crossover setup.

Cheers,
Old 13th October 2009, 19:16   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Putting in the front compos and a 4 channel amp has made one thing clear. How bad my rear speakers and HU are! If one sits where one hears all the speakers, it sounds as if it were two cars or two systems playing the same song simultaneously. I might move to better ovals at the rear in a while. The HU's SQ is pretty bad and this is being brought out clearly by the amp. Ouch, this ICE thing is getting to be expensive. Perhaps I should just get myself a new end-can and drive with the windows down. (LOL).

Cheers,
The statement in bold reminds me of how pain it was to tune AKSHAY 4587's system. IMHO, sony HU's just SUCK huge time. Even a kenny 5539 HU's better than a high end sony HU.
Old 13th October 2009, 20:35   #33
BHPian

Congrats on the new ICE setup. Its always exciting to get new ice installed and then try a diy while tuning it to one's preferences.
Old 13th October 2009, 22:51   #34
BHPian

Natural is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you want to check the mid-range and bass of your newly installed components, then nothing to beat " Lay Low" by Snoop Dogg. The initial bass will simply blow your mind
If you want to give your Bass drivers a work out then nothing to beat low tuned Kick drums like in this song in the link below.

Get the CD version of the above song and make sure your amps are well ventilated.
Alternatively you could use the kick drums from the older albums of Metallica where the drummer uses TAMA drums.

TAMA Drums

Be warned the bass may sound horrid in tiny less than 10 inch woofers but have a go.Making natural sounding kick drums is extremely extremely difficult through small speakers since going very low on frequency and yet keeping it tight is the holy grail for subwoofers. Electronic drums are far far easier. Have a blast. As mentioned before go to your neighborhood musical instrument store and have a listen to tuned kick drums and then tune your speakers.
Old 14th October 2009, 00:10   #35
BHPian

Another Version.

Here is another version of the same song and hear for the drums from time 3:26 to 3:57.

As far as Metallica is concerned listening to mp3 versionS of their songs are sacrilegious. The least should be a CD audio version of their songs with a single 12inch sub of good make in a not so big room so as to obviate wave interference when two subs are used. Note that the lead singer lost his voice after the release of the BLACK Album so songs after that do not have the same intensity of yesteryears.

Here is a link of the hardships the sound engineers have to face when dealing with Metallica's TAMA drums.

I do not know how old you are but I grew up on Pink Floyd and then Metallica and making speakers to do justice to them was my hobby. I suggest u get the BLACK album by Metallica on an audio CD.

Enjoy.
Old 14th October 2009, 01:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps I should get Absynthguzzler to do it for me. Ayya, whenever you can take time off from your erections please have a look the amp. Cheers,
Wohoooooo! the GTX has got music playing for the owner as well now ! All that's left is the birdy yellow u got in mind for your ride Ravvs. congrats !.

Oh by the way , i was a bit bout your quote. I pity those minds that wander to pastures that are taboo , lol.

Ravv's I'll try and make some time over the weekend and if possible give Rider a call to get your car tuned. There's also Rockster (Raghu ) thats pretty good with ICE and he's a fellow T-Bhp'ian. Ive met him a few times via work and has always got a helping hand. Try and Pm him .

Think its also time i got Hamid to check and redo my wiring cause I've messed up somewhere with my DIY - cue the plastic burning smell on the Peugeot christening night .

Once again , good going Ravvs. I loved your tunes in the car . The tracks were worth listening to even though the speakers were kaput .
Old 14th October 2009, 07:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc, Thanks for your tips and help. I realised that MP3s (even at 320 bitrate - only bitrate I have) are absolutely useless and that CDs are better. Tapes and Vinyl were much much better for analog music i.e. guitars, drums etc. and that the new electronic music is perhaps an offshoot of the digital recording media! BTW, I was born 10 months before you so I guess we went through similar experiences so I know what a pain those good old bass drums and high hats were for speakers.

Thanks Arun for your kind offer to help. If it is necessary we will get Yash and Raghu to chip in too (over chips and soda). I thought you would have sorted out your wiring by now, since you have not, it is a good idea to catch Hamid. I have his number and he has a small shop in Balkampet (just after SR Nagar on the road going to Sanatnagar).

Cheers,
Old 14th October 2009, 11:12   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Here is a link of the hardships the sound engineers have to face when dealing with Metallica's TAMA drums.

I do not know how old you are but I grew up on Pink Floyd and then Metallica and making speakers to do justice to them was my hobby. I suggest u get the BLACK album by Metallica on an audio CD.
Many years ago (early 90s) I visited Cochin in and saw a band called 13AD ( they wrote it so it looked like 'BAD') in a small club (dont ask me the name - I was being chapperoned). 13AD were at this time working on an album they called Ground Zero. Cochin has (or atleast had in the early 90s) a very lively and vibrant rock scence (a bit like the bands from Gangtok, Dajelling, Shillong, Agartala, Imphal etc.).

Round Stages are almost impossible to build good Bass Bins around. One idea that has worked is to build a floating isolated stage with bass bins underneath but the bass from these bins for some reason does not travel very well. Floating bass bins above the stage has been considered many times. I dont know why the engineers in your Video claim to have done it for the first time. Maybe the type of array they have (Thomas Mundorf - no realtion to the Mundorf capacitor company - is well known in teh seminar/lecture/confeerence circuit) is different in the kind of sound wave it projects.

BTW what type of speakers did you build? PA or Home audio? What drivers did you use?

Quote:
Tapes and Vinyl were much much better for analog music
Vinyl is making a comeback and HOW!

It is nice to have a couple of "Oldies" contribute. Makes me feel less old.
Old 14th October 2009, 23:55   #39
BHPian

Please do not laugh on hearing the names of the drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BTW what type of speakers did you build? PA or Home audio? What drivers did you use?
Vinyl is making a comeback and HOW!
It is nice to have a couple of "Oldies" contribute. Makes me feel less old.
One of the group members of 13AD stay 80 meters from my house and I am their family doctor.

I used to dabble in making home audio speakers. I was not rich enough to afford more than a moped during my college days so do not laugh at me when I say I had to settle for Bolton drivers from Faridabad. Tweeters though were from Philips. The speakers I made had a fan following though as they sounded good for the money I spent on them even when compared to a few smuggled esoteric brands whose dealer was the guy who used to run a mess from where I had food during my college days. I used to keep one set of speakers for 3 months and when I had a new idea I would sell the old ones off at a 20 to 30 percent profit for funding my next speaker project. Luckily there were no dearth of buyers. Tuning them was the hardest part as I was very poor in maths and had to do it all by ear. Tuning for vocals was by playing the album DARK SIDE of the MOON by Pink Floyd and for instruments Metallica came to my rescue. I still have a set at home and the high point of the floor standing speaker is that its made of cement impregnated particle board and weighing 68 kilos each. They were active amplified speakers until one day 7 years ago I blew them up playing ROOTS BLOODY ROOTS by Sepultura. They were re-coned or rather the flexible rubber surrounds were replaced and now I use a saner passively amplified setup to drive them.
No time now to pursue designing speakers though I might do it when I retire. Economical concrete impregnated Spheroid speakers is in my mind but that will have to wait for many years.
With DVD audio and SACD getting cheaper I doubt Vinyl will come back to its glory days. Bringing back nostalgic memories!!!!!!

DVD-Audio, SACD Review Index - High Fidelity Review
Old 15th October 2009, 02:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

great read Doc. Looking forward to more such nostalgic posts by you :-)

I would love to make my own speakers from the drivers I like. But SADLY, the field I am in does not allow much time to do so. Sad. But I am happy to see others living my dream of being a DIY freak!
Old 15th October 2009, 19:27   #41
BHPian

Peerless Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
great read Doc. Looking forward to more such nostalgic posts by you :-)

I would love to make my own speakers from the drivers I like. But SADLY, the field I am in does not allow much time to do so. Sad. But I am happy to see others living my dream of being a DIY freak!
Frank you are just aged 24 and in the prime of your life. I too am a Professor in Orthodontics though much older and so we share the same profession. If you have a DIY interest keep it burning at least till you are married when priorities will be forcibly changed. Since you are in Bombay you could get possibly the best drivers made in India from the following link. They are a super duper Danish company having the manufacturing base in India. They export their drivers and I do not know if they sell any more in the country. One of the best speaker setups in the world is made in a small village in Kerala called Muvattupuzha. They cost a bomb and hence are only for export. Happy hunting and keep that desire to invent or create burning.
Products - PeerlessAudio.com
Old 30th October 2009, 20:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Tuning update

Aaargh , I have been fiddling around with the tuning for more than a fortnight now and am nowhere near getting it right. If one kind of music sounds great - another sounds sad. Perhaps I shall get it right over time or maybe I just need to put in a new HU first.

The bass seems just right and there does not seem to be any need for a sub, but we shall know only after the HU change.

Cheers,
Old 30th October 2009, 23:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Aaargh , I have been fiddling around with the tuning for more than a fortnight now and am nowhere near getting it right. If one kind of music sounds great - another sounds sad. Perhaps I shall get it right over time or maybe I just need to put in a new HU first.

The bass seems just right and there does not seem to be any need for a sub, but we shall know only after the HU change.

Cheers,
I share your sentiments mate. Keep at it.

Finally after umpteen attempts I seem to have come close to tuning it to my preferences. Just need to tweak the gains a little more as I don't really want to work up the speakers too much till the new HU arrives.

Totally enjoyed listening to some Jazz and the Iceing on the cake was when I was listening to BB King and Eric Clapton on 'Riding with the King' and it just about sounded right!
Old 27th October 2010, 11:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Complete refurbishing to include damping and new head unit

Hi,

The GTX is in the process of being painted and refurbished. Since the car has been stripped, I decided to start with the damping. I intend to change the HU now and welcome suggestions for a HU costing approx 12 to 15K. It has to be a 1 DIN. USB and Aux in are essential, IPOD integration would be good but not essential. I prefer SQ to SP. In addition to what was put in last year - I now have a pair of Infiniti Reference 9623i 6x9s to be fitted. I have no intention of putting in a sub but might go in for a FTA sub on the rear parcel tray.

Here are a few pics of the WIP

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060317.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060318.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060319.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060320.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060321.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060322.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060323.jpg

GTX Palio ICE revamp-p1060324.jpg

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 27th October 2010 at 11:44.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

The GTX is in the process of being painted and refurbished. Since the car has been stripped, I decided to start with the damping. I intend to change the HU now and welcome suggestions for a HU costing approx 12 to 15K. It has to be a 1 DIN. USB and Aux in are essential, IPOD integration would be good but not essential. I prefer SQ to SP. In addition to what was put in last year - I now have a pair of Infiniti Reference 9623i 6x9s to be fitted. I have no intention of putting in a sub but might go in for a FTA sub on the rear parcel tray.
Have a look at Kenwood KDC-X7016.
KDC-X7016 | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks