Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:33   #1

CarPC with Acer Travelmate 4150NLCi

Inspired by the endless ways fellow tBHPans are doing their CarPC in, I've decided to finally ICE (you heard it right, no ICE yet for 5 years now) my Esteem LX.

Project will consist of:

1. Acer Travelmate 4150NLCi (1.5GHz Pentium M 715 processor) for a brain tucked under passenger seat.
2. Basic Speaker set
3. 7" lilliput or IRV touchscreen.
4. GPS receiver
5. OBD scanner.
6. USB Broadband.
7. Phone Bluetooth integration.
8. Frontend for Touchscreen (Centrafuse most probably).

Need to check:
(Would appreciate if the wealth of knowledge of all experts could help me here)

1. If there is a possibility of having a radio tuner (excepting TV tuner with built-in radio tuner)
2. Is amp really needed for a entry level ICE system? (please don't kill me for asking this. I know I'm being naive etc., see my reason below the queries)
3. Power considerations for a laptop (when combined with power for Touchscreen, Audio hardware)
4. Any idea if 2004 Esteem LX (entry model) has stock location provision for fitting speakers (or should I do cut/paste work to accommodate it)

I'm going for a basic ICE Audio since I think I'm not the connoisseur of finer details of music and a basic one should do for me + My idea for CarPC will mainly be for GPS, Internet, Bluetooth phone integration + I don't have that deep pockets
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:49   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinthrk View Post
Inspired by the endless ways fellow tBHPans are doing their CarPC in, I've decided to finally ICE (you heard it right, no ICE yet for 5 years now) my Esteem LX.

Project will consist of:

1. Acer Travelmate 4150NLCi (1.5GHz Pentium M 715 processor) for a brain tucked under passenger seat.
2. Basic Speaker set
3. 7" lilliput or IRV touchscreen.
4. GPS receiver
5. OBD scanner.
6. USB Broadband.
7. Phone Bluetooth integration.
8. Frontend for Touchscreen (Centrafuse most probably).

Need to check:
(Would appreciate if the wealth of knowledge of all experts could help me here)

1. If there is a possibility of having a radio tuner (excepting TV tuner with built-in radio tuner)
2. Is amp really needed for a entry level ICE system? (please don't kill me for asking this. I know I'm being naive etc., see my reason below the queries)
3. Power considerations for a laptop (when combined with power for Touchscreen, Audio hardware)
4. Any idea if 2004 Esteem LX (entry model) has stock location provision for fitting speakers (or should I do cut/paste work to accommodate it)

I'm going for a basic ICE Audio since I think I'm not the connoisseur of finer details of music and a basic one should do for me + My idea for CarPC will mainly be for GPS, Internet, Bluetooth phone integration + I don't have that deep pockets

that's great setup you are looking for:

just few suggestions/questions:

are you tucking the travelmate whole under the passenger seat or will you strip it down first ,if you are stripping then try building the double din system it will much more reliable and easy to usetry check out the gigy thread for the same

can you expand the speaker system you are using ,i means descriptions and model nos.

GPS RECEIVER? model number/usb or wireless ?

i dont htink so sthat OBD will work on esteem you should check it out before shelling money on OBD
this i am saying that we tried it on swift but didnt worked

broadband can be used but will make some issues while driving

phone integration can be done by using a good company usb bluetooth dongle (dont buy that 100 rs. dongle )

as far as i remember there's no feature to accomodate speakers directly into computer as there's no wire system, it needs the 3.5mm jack only so if you can DIY those speaker wires to attach with computer directly then you can use it without the amp
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:08   #3

are you tucking the travelmate whole under the passenger seat or will you strip it down first ,if you are stripping then try building the double din system it will much more reliable and easy to usetry check out the gigy thread for the same

The laptop is in absolute working condition which I use from time to time. Hence don't want to strip it off as of now. Only DIY on the laptop would be to jerry-rig the power button to ignition module so that when I turn on the car it will get activated (not cranking the ignition... just turn it on).

Can you explain briefly what 2 DIN config you can do if you strip off the laptop? or point to gigy's thread here? his carpc thread is too long and i'm not sure of the context to search for.

can you expand the speaker system you are using ,i means descriptions and model nos.

Front: Pioneer TS-G412 (10cm Dual-Cone Speaker)
Rear : Pioneer TS-G622 (
16cm 2-Way Speaker)

GPS RECEIVER? model number/usb or wireless ?

Yet to decide. I'm leaving this for next stage of the project. I'll most probably go for USB since there is no short of USB port in the laptop.

i dont htink so sthat OBD will work on esteem you should check it out before shelling money on OBD
this i am saying that we tried it on swift but didnt worked

I'll be checking out with frk of frkracing on this. Seen a couple of pics of computer scan and frk does a lot of esteem tuning for rallies. Something should be possible.

broadband can be used but will make some issues while driving

Is it about 'Don't watch tv while driving' issue or some other technical (interference etc) issue?

phone integration can be done by using a good company usb bluetooth dongle (dont buy that 100 rs. dongle )

I have a Billionton USB bluetooth dongle. Works pretty good normally. Let me know if you have something better.

as far as i remember there's no feature to accomodate speakers directly into computer as there's no wire system, it needs the 3.5mm jack only so if you can DIY those speaker wires to attach with computer directly then you can use it without the amp

I found some info on the net to something like this. I'll be trying out. What I wanted to know was if there will be a problem connecting speakers to laptop without amp.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

He can use laptop like how spadival had installed.
there is power supply from opus to drive 19v directly and bios set to auto on with power it must be easy, you will have to consult computer experts for this here.

Radio tuners are costly if you need a good one.

How do you want to drive speakers? directly from laptop? usb ones will do the job but its too small for incar use. you will have to route it to car stereo aux input if you dont need amplifier. or directly to amplifier if not using a car head unit. i have used a normal 10k stereo potentiometer in between the audio cable from pc to amplifier. thats a good manual override.

Power requirement with laptop is much lesser than normal pc setup.you can check the power brick rating to know it. +15w for a 7" lcd.

Stock locations will definitely be there in esteem even if its lx model. maruti will never spend money on different die setups. you can lift the door pads and look below through the boot to check the size.

Last edited by gigy : 22nd October 2009 at 13:24.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:17   #5
BHPian

Whatever you do keep the WIP pic's coming :-)
All the best
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:39   #6

Stage 0: Pre-requisites - Done

I got the speakers installed and a basic panasonic HU to go with it.

Panasonic CQ-RX322
Hertz dieci 4" DCX-100
Hertz dieci 6.5" DCX-165

I'm not good in the brands and stuff. I just went with Sathya's suggestion on this.

Two reasons for suddenly changing my mind about 'no-HU' concept.

1. Till the time the carputer is ready to go, I thought I'll have something to listen to.
2. Built in AUX in HU means I don't have to worry about coupling speaker wiring system and laptop.

Gigy et al., can this concept in point 2 work without issue if I just get a cable with 3.5 mm male jack at both ends and plug them into laptop sound output and AUX in?

3. I get the FM tuner too

This way, only thing remaining in the basic carputer (Stage 1) is to connect video output of laptop to the touchscreen. I saw some setup like this in youtube. The guy uses his stock audio system in Lexus IS300 to channel audio and video to a HUD (I'm guess he custom made a motorized housing for a touchscreen)

I guess I've got a basic system to start with now.

Guys, as usual all of your feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

If it the panasonic has 3.5mm input then a straight 3.5 male to 3.5 male will do. get a good quality one with good insulation and shielding.
whats the plan about the lcd? mounting it is the main job in car pc installation. where is present head unit installed stock two din or in glove box?
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:36   #8

The current head unit is in stock 2 DIN. I'm planning to do a custom motorized frame for the LCD which will retract/extend out of the unused DIN and flip open. Exploring the possibilities of using a dc motor/stepper motor with controller.

Gigy, can you please shed light on how to go about it if its feasible? I'm zilch, nada in electricals but willing to try out

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:13   #9
sdh
BHPian

Why not buy the single din display unit from iRide. Fabricating such a unit requires precision fabrication which is pretty difficult to achieve. Since you have double din space, why not go for a full double din display.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:24   #10

sdh, I'm just gonna try and experiment with this motorized frame thingy and if the frame doesn't come up so well, I'm just gonna mount it on top of the dash. Thing is, I'm doing this as a pure DIY for the kicks of it and I have the license to go for the kill. Flip model was the trigger point along with the possibility of installing a PC in a car that made me take a plunge after so long a time without ICE.

btw, what was that about the single din unit? is it something like a single din HU with a 2 DIN touchscreen which will sit in the front? If yes, I guess that would be a fully functional DVD player which is not the purpose of this experiment
Old 24th October 2009, 06:16   #11
sdh
BHPian

I was talking about this IRV-700M | Indash Touchscreen Monitors | iRide Technologies

I agree with you that it is all about DIY kick. I myself have done 2 different installs, one in swift and other in i10. The one I did in i10 is a more compact fully integrated design where everything fits in the double din dash opening, including the amplifier. I did explore possibility of making some kind of sliding display so that I can include a dvd drive as well but had to give up because I could not find the right display in first place and then was not sure about fabrication.

Most Viewed