Team-BHP - Need advice picking new speakers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Need advice picking new speakers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/68450-need-advice-picking-new-speakers.html)

Hi,
I have a Getz which came with a system from the dealer (Panasonic C-1425 and some basic 4 speakers). I've been meaning to fix this for a while but just been busy, finally got some time to do this. My challenge is that I’m a newbie to car audio, AND I don’t have a fixed budget, I’m really struggling trying to figure out how much money to spend to get an ICE that would make me happy and be reasonable value-for-money.

I'm really into music (yes, even though i lived with that system for over a year!) and listen to mostly english rock, especially classic (floyd, led zep) and newer alternative rock (pearl jam, counting crows, radiohead) though in different moods i'll also listen to techno, hip-hop, metal, and these days, shankar-ehsaan-loy soundtracks.

I checked out Car Fancy today and quite liked toqueer, and based on the things i've read about him i'll probably go ahead with him for the installation.
I'm looking for very clear and natural sound. I’m not into very loud music and I seldom have anyone else in my car, so the system is focused on the driver seat. I asked Toqueer and he thinks the head-unit is ok for now (at least not the first thing to fix). My money is better spent on speakers (obviously) and possibly an amplifier. I don’t need a sub for my needs.

Here’s where I need some help, trying to juggle my requirements:
1. What do you think of Infinity Reference components in the front (roughly 7k)? If I had to get better speakers, what would you recommend?
2. What do you recommend for the rear? Are Infinity’s going to sound better (matched with the fronts)?
3. Do you agree that I should keep my head unit for now and spend on the speakers/amp instead?
4. Are other dealers likely to have more speaker options that I can listen to?

Thanks!
Gaurav

Hi ganjaman,

I have added today Infinity Reference Components in the front of my Baleno and I am quite satisfied with their performance. The sound clarity is amazing. However you got to tune your system perfectly else the tweeters will make you go MAD :D.

I have also added JBL 6 X 9" ovals at the back. They are producing good bass and overall I am quite satisfied with the setup.

You may go ahead and add Infinity Compos at the back too or try listening to Bull Audio Components, they are VFM.

1. Depends on your budget. You wouldn't want to spend out too much on front components and be left with little for other stuff.
2. Yes. I believe it is better to go with the same brand for front and rear.
3. If you're on a budget, retain. But you'll have to change it somewhere down the line.
4. If you're not getting enough brands to try, the answer would be yes.

This might help:
1. Phase I: Replace Speakers (at least front) + add amp + replace wiring (any budget of 20-25k)
2. Phase II: Then replace HU + add damping + add Sub
3. Add a monoblock

Depending on the flexibility of your budget, you can add whatever you wish from the subsequent phase. This is just my suggestion, not the thumb rule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganjaman (Post 1559163)
I don’t need a sub for my needs.

The question about a sub is NEVER about whether you need it or not. Yes you need a sub. Everyone who loves his/her music needs a sub. Music without sub is like biryani without meat, sambhar without karipatta and pizza without cheese. In my book, nobody should willingly sacrifice on the frequency range 25-60 Hz, this is the range that thumps your chest and adds full body to any kind of music you listen to (except, maybe, if you only pay attention to vocal renditions).

There is a reason why musicians, bands, orchestras etc always have space for bass or percussion instruments (think bass guitar, bassoon, tabla, ). There is a reason why kick drums are part and parcel of a drums kit. In my book, everyone should look to add a sub as far as practically possible, to at least avoid making all the musicians look foolish.

The question about a sub is always this- When Can I Afford It? If you don't have the budget for it, at least get a good 6x9 pair on a MDF tray on the rear. It will never be as good as a sub, but will still allow you to experience some bass at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenh0rn (Post 1561391)
The question about a sub is NEVER about whether you need it or not. Yes you need a sub. Everyone who loves his/her music needs a sub. Music without sub is like biryani without meat, sambhar without karipatta and pizza without cheese. In my book, nobody should willingly sacrifice on the frequency range 25-60 Hz, this is the range that thumps your chest and adds full body to any kind of music you listen to (except, maybe, if you only pay attention to vocal renditions).

There is a reason why musicians, bands, orchestras etc always have space for bass or percussion instruments (think bass guitar, bassoon, tabla, ). There is a reason why kick drums are part and parcel of a drums kit. In my book, everyone should look to add a sub as far as practically possible, to at least avoid making all the musicians look foolish.

The question about a sub is always this- When Can I Afford It? If you don't have the budget for it, at least get a good 6x9 pair on a MDF tray on the rear. It will never be as good as a sub, but will still allow you to experience some bass at least.

:OT but that completely answered my doubts on why i should get a Sub. Have got 6.5' ovals and was contemplating the need for a Sub.

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganjaman (Post 1559163)
Hi,
I have a Getz which came with a system from the dealer (Panasonic C-1425 and some basic 4 speakers). I've been meaning to fix this for a while but just been busy, finally got some time to do this. My challenge is that I’m a newbie to car audio, AND I don’t have a fixed budget, I’m really struggling trying to figure out how much money to spend to get an ICE that would make me happy and be reasonable value-for-money.

I'm really into music (yes, even though i lived with that system for over a year!) and listen to mostly english rock, especially classic (floyd, led zep) and newer alternative rock (pearl jam, counting crows, radiohead) though in different moods i'll also listen to techno, hip-hop, metal, and these days, shankar-ehsaan-loy soundtracks.

I checked out Car Fancy today and quite liked toqueer, and based on the things i've read about him i'll probably go ahead with him for the installation.
I'm looking for very clear and natural sound. I’m not into very loud music and I seldom have anyone else in my car, so the system is focused on the driver seat. I asked Toqueer and he thinks the head-unit is ok for now (at least not the first thing to fix). My money is better spent on speakers (obviously) and possibly an amplifier. I don’t need a sub for my needs.

Here’s where I need some help, trying to juggle my requirements:
1. What do you think of Infinity Reference components in the front (roughly 7k)? If I had to get better speakers, what would you recommend?
2. What do you recommend for the rear? Are Infinity’s going to sound better (matched with the fronts)?
3. Do you agree that I should keep my head unit for now and spend on the speakers/amp instead?
4. Are other dealers likely to have more speaker options that I can listen to?

Thanks!
Gaurav

Here's my $.02

More than just the speakers by themselves, the installation and tuning also matter a lot.

Have you heard the infinitys? If not, before spending money, audition the speakers that have been installed in a car and not on a demo rack. Listen to various Getzs around or atleast listen to speakers installed in a car to understand how they sound.

Good music is way more than just brands/equipment.

Whats your budget btw? PM me if you're interested in auditioning my Eclipse HU/Boston compos/ Boston amp/ JBL sub setup

Thanks for the advice.

I finally got some time this weekend and was book some of my cousin's time (who's really into cars + ICE). I basically set out with the intent of getting the system done the same day since i had waited enough, and didn't know when i'd get the time again.

We first went to the JBL shop and talked to Preetham, told him we got his recommendation from sam on team-bhp. He didn't have either of the infinity's for demo, which was a bit of a letdown. Anyway, I considered:
- Infinity Kappa components at the front (60.9) - 14K
- JBL 6x9 at the back, i think the model was 280W vs 400W - 3K
- JBL amplifier - there were only two options, one was 5K (40W per channel?) and the other was 11K. He insisted that we wouldn't find anything in between anywhere in the market.

This would have landed me at around 27K, and wires etc would have fit my (newly decided) budget at 30K

My friend called up his guy (Vikram at Car shringar) and I checked up with Toqueer (Car Fancy). We concurred that Preetham's prices were robbery. Toqueer was getting Kappa's for 10K (B+W) and the others were much cheaper too.

We then headed to Car Shringar. Vikram was interesting - very strong opinions - was pushing brands that i hadn't heard of (Focal, morel) and was dismissiong Pioneer HUs. He was showing me manuals of Focal and Morel to indicate how good they were and was pointing out awards. As an engineer, the manual's appealed to me, yet at the same time the awards meant nothing. (these awards were for their highend systems, and doesnt nec. translate to their lowend ones). But my cousin has evolved his ICE over the years and worked with Vikram and told me not to get too offended at his pushiness, and did support that Vikram does know his stuff, and only sell's stuff he truly believes in.

I did some quick net research from my phone and found that these brands are pretty highly rated. Vikram also agreed to let me try them out and switch them if need be within a short timeframe (mostly because of my cousin).

The other problem was that my HU only had 1 pre-out and wouldnt really support the kind of setup i needed. I wasnt too happy with the Panasonic to begin with (was very slow to read MP3s) and i was drawn in by the iphone support in the new HU's so factored in a new HU to my budget (8-10K)

I eventually went ahead with:
- Pioneer 4190 HU - 8.5K
- Focal Solid4 amplifier - 16K (i was pushing for an infinity amp for 11K but vikram strongly recommended this one)
- Morel Tempo6 front components - 9K
- Kicker 8" sub - 3.5K
- Reused my crappy old dual-cones in the backseat
- Scosch wires

The total came to about 40K.

Vikram was also suggesting Focal components (K2 were 12K, the poly-glass was 14K) but i had already overshot my budget and figured i could wait and see after trying the morel's out.

...to be continued....