Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 21:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

SPeakers not upto expectation or misunderstanding

A friend of mine in Bangalore Recently purchased a Hyundai and needed to equip it with ICE.

The girl contacted me and I suggested JBL for the speakers and Satya as the installer.

She checked for the prices for a GTO 638 series Rear speakers which cost her 4500 at the Hyundai showroom.

On my request she called Satya. He said that he would do the installation with front set of speakers and GTO 638 series included in Rs. 4300.

She got the speakers installed but found out that the speakers installed were not GTO 638 but GT5 S265 6.5 at the back. Also the bill doesnt have the serial numbers of the product bought. The warranty card is from Sahil International though. She wasnt even shown the actual product or the box before installation (HER Fault first here).

WHen she called back Satya said that GTO series is sad sounding and that he doesnt keep GTO in stock and gave various other reasons.

Now all I want to know is, if she has been cheated assuming she doesnt know about car audio or if there is a misunderstanding with the price and conversation on the phone.

I would be happy and willing to solve the matter even if the price she paid is reasonable which doesnt seem to be the case right now.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 6th November 2009 at 21:26.
Old 6th November 2009, 21:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does the warranty card have the serial number?

I am surprised that if your friend has asked for a specific model and that has been discussed before installing, why would another model be installed at all?

Would be interesting to note how this is coming out and where the mis-understanding / mis-communication was.
Old 6th November 2009, 22:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think we need to hear the story from other side too. I hope Satya replies soon.
Old 6th November 2009, 22:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@Devarshi, apart from the products installed - is your friend happy with the output, or does not like it ?
Old 6th November 2009, 22:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Misunderstanding for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

She checked for the prices for a GTO 638 series Rear speakers which cost her 4500 at the Hyundai showroom.

On my request she called Satya. He said that he would do the installation with front set of speakers and GTO 638 series included in Rs. 4300.
I remember she called me one of these days when I was driving and she told that the Hyundai showroom rep told her about the GTO638, I clearly told her that this speaker was not worth buying in context with her setup which is with a basic player, a pioneer 3150 which does not even have HPF, a GTO638 works decent with an amp which she is not considering, hence the difference from the GT5 series from 2700 bucks to 4500 was not worth it.
Besides the Hyundai guy promised her a GT5 402 and GT5 502 as a other speaker option from JBL, now these models have been discontinued from official JBL supply almost a year ago. So I promised to provide a GT5 S204 and a S265 at the rear for 4300 bucks with wiring and installation.
I don't know how after such a long conversation how she misunderstood the package.
I specifically told her that at a 4500 bucks range she can get a better speaker than a GTO638 IMO.

Quote:

She got the speakers installed but found out that the speakers installed were not GTO 638 but GT5 S265 6.5 at the back. Also the bill doesnt have the serial numbers of the product bought. The warranty card is from Sahil International though. She wasnt even shown the actual product or the box before installation (HER Fault first here).
She had seen the boxes being taken out of the showcases, and we don't intend to cheat anyone because of their lack of knowledge or ignorance towards a product, a lot of BHPians come to me and they don't take the approach, Of me having to show what is there in the box, as our pricing and suggestions are pretty standard for requirements as per car or audio setup desired on a allocated budget.
JBL Serial numbers are not requested by our local distributor to be put on the warranty card as they know EVO very well and we don't buy grey and don't even need to.

Quote:

WHen she called back Satya said that GTO series is sad sounding and that he doesnt keep GTO in stock and gave various other reasons.

Now all I want to know is, if she has been cheated assuming she doesnt know about car audio or if there is a misunderstanding with the price and conversation on the phone.
I told her we don't stock most GTO series speakers because of availability of other products in the same price range which don't sound as bright, people come to us looking for clarity and their expectations are always high. Especially a GTO638 is not worth the buck IMO, the GTO938 or GTO608C are decently priced in comparison.

I apologized to her despite of me being very sure of what I spoke, thinking I am speaking to a concerned customer, now, I have told a lot of customers earlier that spend the money where you can feel the worth, just by spending some 1500 bucks extra on a speaker wont matter if the player is compromised for instance, rather spend that money somewhere else and get a better overall sounding setup.

Quote:

I would be happy and willing to solve the matter even if the price she paid is reasonable which doesnt seem to be the case right now.
I can't believe I had to explain so much to 3 different people including her tonight for something which is not our fault at all.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th November 2009 at 22:44.
Old 6th November 2009, 22:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Given the matter has been settled between customer and installer, its time to change the title of this thread. Title is rather strong.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 6th November 2009 at 22:56.
Old 6th November 2009, 22:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

Let it be. It's an open forum for discussion. As long as no commercial angle comes out.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

If the issue has been resolved, why the title? It IS strong, and misleading.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Agree. Atleast put a question mark
Old 6th November 2009, 23:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

I think we need to hear from the customer or thread creator, if the resolution/explanation is fair.

I dont know blueraven but his explanation sounds decent enough.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

My point was that the thread could have a less controversial title. But of course, innocent until proven guilty isn't always followed around here.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:13   #12
BHPian

Well Satya didn't overcharge and he has clarified his point to the forum and to the customer. The least he deserves is a thread title that doesn't accuse him of wrongdoing.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I had my install done at Evo by Sathya, and am a pretty happy customer- I had a few things/ brands in mind, but what he gave me more or less matched with what I really want.

I suggest that your friend forgets what she has (brand, model et all), and just listen to the sound and see if she likes it. If you want, check the official prices of the models you have installed.

Finally, don't take others' comments or opinions to heart- I have a specific AMP installed and was booed at because the same AMP is available in the US for almost half the price I paid here, and the brand is not that known (in comparison to a JBL or a Kenwood AMP). But I am satisfied with the install and the sound, and I am sure that the support I will get from Sathya will be unmatchable- thats all that matters for me!

Note: I have no relationship with EVO/ Sathya except that of a customer who drove down from Chennai to Bangalore, and have my install done.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 6th November 2009 at 23:28.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:30   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
My point was that the thread could have a less controversial title. But of course, innocent until proven guilty isn't always followed around here.
Excuse me!!! i dont see the title to be that big a deal. Especially since it doesnt have any mention of the installer? Does it??

On the other hand installer himself has given a very detailed reply. So please cut out on the sarcasm!

We are not a court of law as far as i know, its a free and fair public forum of auto enthusiasts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2009 at 23:31.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Excuse me!!! i dont see the title to be that big a deal. Especially since it doesnt have any mention of the installer? Does it??
Chill out Jaggu, I'm not targeting you or anything. Title's changed anyway, right? Which means what some of us were saying was true, and has been acknowledged as such.

As for the sarcasm, well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
its a free and fair public forum

Most Viewed