Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2009, 16:51   #1
BHPian

Touchscreen options for Carputer

I am in the advanced stages of integrating my Carputer for the Gypsy and I was exploring options for the touchscreen. I was originally planning to get a regular Touchscreen but installing it on the Gypsy dashboard is goin to be a challenge indeed!

Yesterday I saw a single din HU in a friends car which at the press of button popped out to reveal a 7" touchscreen! Mounting this would pose no problems whatsoever since it could just slot into replace my existing JVC HU.

What are the options available in this range? Any pointers wrt reliability of these devices? I presume the screen popout mechanism is purely mechanical and not electric? Can i sustain regular use?
Old 8th November 2009, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

A motorized 7" touchscreen monitor will also be a security problem in a Gypsy. If you really want it, look for one on the iride website (iRide Technologies - Home).

An alternative is to mount a regular 7" touchscreen monitor with either a on-dash mount (a small pedestal like thing) or with a gooseneck monitor mount (mounts on one of the passenger seat bolts). With this you can remove the monitor from the mount and either take it away or lock it in the glove compartment.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Most of the motorized ones have bad reputation of its operating mechanism failing with time. you can see the non motorized one from iride in case it suits you.
I think best option to also keep it safe in a gypsy is to try integrating into the stock dashboard.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

If it is a motorized one, make sure you buy from a reputed brand.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Sorry for waking up this old thread but even I am looking for a 7" touchscreen for my carputer setup. Stuff at iRide seems to be a bit overpriced to me. Was unable to find the screen at local shops. Got no faith in shipping stuff from overseas. Anyone here with suggestions ?
Old 24th March 2010, 18:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

how about a cheap 7" LCD monitor ( roof mount, the type you use with DVD HU's) and DealExtreme: $36.59 7-inch USB Touch Screen Film (Makes LCD Screens Touch Sensitive)
Old 25th March 2010, 09:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
how about a cheap 7" LCD monitor ( roof mount, the type you use with DVD HU's) and DealExtreme: $36.59 7-inch USB Touch Screen Film (Makes LCD Screens Touch Sensitive)
No Faith in them either.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cheap 7" LCD monitors your talking about Have RCA input and the pc MOBO video out is VGA, so that would not work getting VGA to RCA converter will coast same as getting a Touch screen with VGA input in the first place.

@streetadict , you should be able to find touch screens at computer shopes, not all of them keep but the once who have industrial computer installation contract have them , as these are used in Industrial computers. Should cost somewhere from Rs 8000/- and above.

Last edited by dinar : 25th March 2010 at 10:30.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

there are mobos with video out
Intel Desktop Board D945GCLF2/D945GCLF2D - Overview
for example
Old 25th March 2010, 14:30   #10

I got it off ebay.com. Some sellers do ship it to India. I got mine for $169 + $15 for shipping through DHL with proper tracking number. This is the same listed on iRide site, its a Lilliput EBY-701 Touchscreen Monitor.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

iride has many new touch screen options available and as far as i know, he is best bet for service support. the one with indash kit is the easiest one to install with no modification to a double din dashboard
Old 25th March 2010, 21:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
@streetadict , you should be able to find touch screens at computer shopes, not all of them keep but the once who have industrial computer installation contract have them , as these are used in Industrial computers. Should cost somewhere from Rs 8000/- and above.
I thought so but was unable to find any such shops here in Delhi

Quote:
there are mobos with video out
Intel Desktop Board D945GCLF2/D945GCLF2D - Overview
for example
GCLF2 is what I got

Most Viewed