Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 14:10   #1
BHPian

Scorpio- M Hawk VLX - ICE- Bangalore

I took my Scorpio Delivery on Nov 11 and spent the next coming weekend
to get it ICE fited on my vehicle .

The present system in Scorpio VLX 2.2 M Hawk

Scorpio VLX comes with a company fitted Nippon Double din( Looks Double din in the front , is actually a single DIN cleverly designed for a double din ) .Ratings was not available , but should be 50W X 4 .

It has a CD MP3 Player with USB & SD card slot .The HU look and feel is okay but is not well supported on the speakers end . The speakers are a 6 inch mid range which can also do some mid bass .

Two schools of Music - American - Europe ....

The whole fitting of my ICE was done in Audio planet ( 1st cross on back side of KML BDA complex in Kormanagala ). Kumar and latha (Husband & Wife) who take care of audio planet are both Audiophiles and have fairly good knowledge of all the Audio systems available in the market . After having discussed with me on my music tastes , there were two options available for us . The 2 options are more related to two schools of music

1. American
2. European

American
The first option is American school of Music . We get the following type of music in this option

1. Higher bass
2. Typically Ovals used in the back or with 12+ inch woofers
3. All American company setup ( Say J BL )
4. Mid to high bass output from the front end
5. Heavy thump on the back
6. Middle row of Scorpio is filled with very high bass from the back and also front
7. High to very High vocal range

This fits to people who listen to

1. Rock
2. Metal
3. High decibel pop
4. Hindi - Jhankar beats kind of music

European
The second option is European school of Music . We get the following type of music in this option

1. The three range of any audio is Bass , Mid range & treble
2. European style of music tries to fill all the range without making it sounding it from one speaker . The whole image of the sound is created for perfect stereo where music is always played in 2 standing towers from a 2 channel amps .( American music school might also create the 2 channel stereo , but music is not clear )
3. The European school of music emphasis is more on vocal clarity , good bass to fill the car and decent high frequency

This fits to people who listen to

1. Carnatic or Hindustani classical - Pure vocals
2. Ghazals
3. Soothing pop music ( Like Titanic OST song)
4. Clarity on all three parts of music - Bass , treble , mid range

My school of music

I Listen to lot of Carnatic classical ,( Big Fan of Bombay Jayashree , MASS and others ) and also listen to slow pope , country music , soothing numbers from old movies ( Hindi , Tamil , Telugu , and Kannada )

So my choice was the latter and went to the European school of music

What i have added now for the new ICE ?

1.Head unit ; Pioneer 6050 USB :
2.Speakers - Front End - Mutant - Euphony series - High end 6 1/2 inch
Speakers - Back door Mutant - components
Speakers - Sub woofer - Down siding Box with Polk 8 inch Sub woofer
5. 4 Channel Amp - J BL
6. Dampers : Front doors
7. Back door : Dampers

8. OFC cables : App 7-10 Mts

Head unit ; Pioneer 6050 USB :
Pros
Mainly selected for Pioneer after sales and service, connectivity with i pod and i phone is seamless .2 DIN Fits good for my car perfectly .
Cons
No USB connectivity in the Head unit . We need to connect a cable and place it in front of the system

Speakers - Front End - Mutant - Euphony series - High end 6 1/2 inch
Pros
The best sounding mid range speakers available in the market. Mid and highs are crystal clear.
Very good cross over. High quality stuff compared to others
Cons
Highs are a bit on higher end , might have to cut it down in the settings
The cover for the Mutant speakers are bare min. Water can enter as this is on the lower end door position in any car .
Kids can create or poke at this speaker as no proper grill to cover the speakers

Speakers - Back door Mutant - components -
Pros
Used to just fill the music
Used 51/2 inch

Cons

Can be better for the price we have paid .

Speakers - Sub woofer - Down siding Box with Polk 8 inch Sub woofer

Pros
Decent sounding sub
decent spacing box .
Can be kept on the back portion of the Scorpio

Cons
Work as a 8 inch drive .
Not to heavy on the bass.
Tight bass not available

4 Channel Amp - JBL
Pros
The best rated amp in the market today
Can control all the range from the JBLs
Cons
Typical US school of music amp
Odd man out in the whole setup
But had to buy this as it matched with Mutant ..

6. Dampners : Front & Back door :
I am not able to recollect the company brand we used for dampers . Its done for both front doors with sponge also added to cut down any other noise . ICE team in AP - showed me the places where dampers have been used to cut down noise from the engine bay . Its amazing that Mahindras have done a good job on this front . The vehicle is silent @ 80-100 Kms . .

Connections:

The Head unit has 2 RCA outs .The Head unit is connected to the Amps and the amps would drive the front 2 Mutant speakers , tweeters along with the Sub woofer . The back side speakers are connected using the Head unit. A separate power supply is connected from the battery unit to the amps . Monster cable with fuse has been used to connect the head unit .

As a part of the ICE setup , i also got complete acrylic sheet on the existing beige color floor of the Scorpio . This way the fabric does not get spoiled if there is a spill in the car .

Installation :
Be a bit patient if u need to go to Audio Planet . They took a lot of care in making sure no hammering going on the new car .

The speakers fixed by Scorpio on back door is in a bad position ( L+ R sit one feet apart) . No differences can be made out . The audio planet then took the car to the nearest garage and did a hole to place the back door speakers using metal cutting systems . This way no hammering of the car on the back door ( This what happens in JC Road ) I felt AP team more professional in this regard .

Calibration :

Audio planet team also deals with Audio and HT stuff . So with this background , they do Real time calibration of the whole Audio setup in the car . A Lab top loaded with a calibration setup is used for the setup . The microphone is connected to the laptop

Real time calibration is to send some sound patterns from all different speakers and to test the out put dB gain .
Based on the feedback , the software actually shows the input dB for each of the 7 bands of equalizers and setting can be done on the exact sound output from the front , back and the sub woofers .

The end result has been superb . We can lock a i pod or i phone to the system and get the complete Play lists. The play list on i Pod is now entirely loaded on the Pioneer system .

I will be adding the photos of the system shortly
Old 19th November 2009, 14:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ranga, you have given so much details of ICE that anyone will get confused. But even being new on the board it is nice to see a good review of things. way to go dude. So when are you starting the initial ownership report and travelouges.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bro, that was quite a detailed review.

Please share the pics and prices
Old 19th November 2009, 15:19   #4
BANNED

How speakers are powered with one 4 channel amp as total 4 speakers are there along with one sub, post some pics.
You got 8" Polk db series woofer?saw them at famous installers place and dosent looks like going to produce tight punches, small dia as well as the depth is also tiny, looks more like bigger mid range speaker.He quoted me 4200 which i felt not worth for that woofer.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 19th November 2009 at 15:29.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
How speakers are powered with one 4 channel amp as total 4 speakers are there along with one sub, post some pics.
He must have connected 2 channels to front speakers and then bridged two channels for his Sub

the rear speakers are for rear fill, i guess so
Old 19th November 2009, 16:36   #6
BHPian

The price for the total deal crossed 45K INR .

Break up will be passed shortly along with photos . My intial ownership and travelogues will be posted shortly . I have read various ICE info on the forum and found some did not have detailed info on what they have used and for what reason .

I also want to inform others what i have used and the pros and cons of that setup . Nothing is best in the world .

The reason why i selected Polk was that it matched Mutant and 8 inches is the best to fit the space on the back of a Scorpio . Not much place available on the back .. Its a down firing box and provides lot of bass. I had to tune it down as i am not to much of a bass lover ( I have seen people who have Sub woofers and can be heard 3 blocks away when they are driving )

Last edited by Eddy : 19th November 2009 at 16:55. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 23:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Havent heard of this brand before. Your school of music idea too is new to me; very debatable I think.

Please do post pix.

What were you other options?
Old 20th November 2009, 00:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ranga,

Thanks for the detailed update. Waiting for the pics of installation.

How about the audio control buttons on steering ? Do they still work with the new HU? Did you have to do something special to ensure that?
Old 20th November 2009, 09:27   #9
BHPian

Well , the Audio controls no more work with the new system .

Audio Planet has suggested PAC Audio connector which actually is a converter for third party Head units with remote control on steering wheel .

The cost of this device is close to 7K INR . Having already spent beyond my budget , i have not gone for this device this month . May be in the next 2-3 months , plan to go for the same .

Pac-audio.com Products | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

This is the company which actually makes the steering wheel interface for 3rd party Head units .

Check this out
This is a expensive device - 7K INR to get the steering control buttons of my audio on my Scorpio

Mutant Speakers - Euphony Series .

I have seen the best cross overs in the car speakers system . Beaing a pure Electroncis background person , i could see all inductors and capacitors very clearly . No doubts this is the best sounding Mid range speaker available in India today . I am informed that if we use Alpine head unit , the clarity on Mutant can be much better . Attached is the mutant speakers photo

FH-P6050UB 4-Channel High-Power WMA/MP3/AAC/CD Receiver with USB Direct Connection

FH-P6050UB

The below is the custom settings done for the FHP 6050 UB after the calibration software test .

Many of us might be using this system as this is very popular double din audio player .

Custom Settings Seven Band Graphic Equalizer In Hz 50 0 125 -1 315 1 800 5 5 In KHz 5 -2 12.5 -2 Loudness High Sub -W1 - Normal Sub -W2 80Hz ( Range - 10 ) Bass boost 1 High Pass Filter 63 Hz SLA 4 Fader Balance 0 -0
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-mutant-speakers.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 20th November 2009 at 12:46. Reason: back 2 back posts, use edit when posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:53   #10
BHPian

Other options available

1. HU - ken wood , Alpine , Sony ( Sony entry levels do not support iPhone ,iPod & also the bass is very high )
2. Speakers - Pioneer , J BL , Polk
3. Sub woofer - JBL , Sony ,
Old 20th November 2009, 16:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very good narration, took a long time to read.
Really love to use the audio controls on steering wheel, but sadly none of them can't be used with a after market HU.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:05   #12
BHPian

The audio controls on steering wheel work provided we add this PAC Audio stuff . This cost 7K INR .This can be used for any 3rd party HU to any car having a Steering wheel control.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
The audio controls on steering wheel work provided we add this PAC Audio stuff . This cost 7K INR .This can be used for any 3rd party HU to any car having a Steering wheel control.
Sorry if it sounds obvious but I have a quick question on this. How does audio control from steering work in stock VLX system? Is it because the crappy HU has integrated technology similar to what is being offered by PAC Audio, in HU itself ?
Old 21st November 2009, 13:37   #14
BHPian

ICE - Scorpio M Hawk Pictures attached

Attached are the photos of my Scorpio going through the ICE Process .

Photo 1 & 2 - Car doors getting dampners

Photo 3 - Mutant speakers package

Photo 4 - Cross overs from Mutant

Photo 5 & 6 - Back door of Scorpio getting ready for Metal cutting to place Mutant co ax on back

Photo 7 - Transparent Acrylic sheet spread to the whole of the car to avoid dust for fabric

Photo 8 - dampners beaing installed

Photo 9 & 10 - Ken wood speakers passed from Mahindra for Scorpio VLX

Photo 11 - Metal cutting for placing the speakers
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0340.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0341.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0342.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0348.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0350.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0353.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0370.jpg  

Scorpio- M Hawk  VLX - ICE-  Bangalore-img_0656.jpg