Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Invasion of the Swedes

The story behind my ICE dates back to November 2008 when I first felt that I want to go the ICE way instead of performance mods. A major accident in a Bimmer reinforced the fact that fast cars aren't really made for Mumbai, so I'd prefer to drive, chill and listen to great music.

I drew up a budget of around USD 500, at the time, around Rs 25,000 or so, and planned to getting all the stuff from the states. I then outlined what I wanted and some questions I had in the thread below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...is-accord.html

Even though the above thread wasn't a 20 page 5 starrer, it really helped iron out doubts I had, and made my interest in ICE grow.

Seeing how complicated the world of car audio was (I was a total n00b at that time) I decided to postpone my splurge on ICE and study it to make an educated decision. Sadly most brands and products in India are still not available for audition.

Some time later in early 2009 I was in the states for a month. While driving around aimlessly like I always do when I'm there, a friend asked me if I wanted to meet him at a car audio showcase. I attended this even and saw a ton of cars. Everything from $500 DIY installs to $20,000 installs. I mean this was something the likes I had never seen before. The glamour and mood was nothing I had experience at the drags or autoX. It threw me over the edge!

Coming back to India armed with this new appreciation for ICE I met with a close friend who owns a company called Motorsounds - Car Audio Customs.
Knowing that he is one of the most experienced ICE installers in the industry reinforced my quest for even better ICE than I had planned.

We sat down and worked out a budget and then began selecting components.

I initially had a budget of Rs25,000. This went to Rs 50,000...Then I hit Rs100,000...This was my the limit my father set on my splurge.
That limit held up a whole 2 days since my father told me that I couldn't source components from the US, as he felt warranties in the same country matter. He was adamant that it all had to be procured in Mumbai.

In an utter fix I didn't know if I could get what I wanted within a Lakh.
I had already set my mind on having a true SQ setup that wouldn't let me down.

So I did what any other person in my position would've done. I blew the budget out the water!

In August/September of this year I ended up with what would be my ICE.
Born out of the hard work of the guys at Motorsounds, my research of ICE, my want for a specific brand and a Cheque book.

Finally what went into my car:

HU: Clarion 785
Front Speakers: DLS Iridium 6.3 (3 Way)
Rear speakers: None (As of now)
Subwoofers: DLS MW 12 X 2
Amp for Iridiums: DLS Ultimate A3
Amp for Subs: DLS Ultimate A3 Bridged (I wanted the A6 but it wasn't available with B&W in India)
Wiring: Kicker 0AWG (PDK1) + some additional Kicker wiring which was required.
Capacitor: Stinger Hybrid 2.0F
Steering Interface: Scosche
Damping: I was extremely serious about damping. I have heard many cars that rattle and sound all tinny, with body panels flexing etc. I wanted to make sure that I got a better listening environment in the car, make sure there was no rattling, and that my ORVMs didn't vibrate with the bass.
This was achieved with around 2 bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme

The Clarion 785 and the Kicker wiring kit were sourced from the states, everything else was bought here in Mumbai with Bill and Warranty.

Now for some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Invasion of the Swedes-12072009817.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-12072009821.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-12072009826.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-09072009812.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-12072009827.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-09072009813.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-09072009814.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-12072009822.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-12072009823.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-12072009824.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-17072009834.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-17072009836.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-17072009835.jpg  

Last edited by DocG : 5th December 2009 at 13:22.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:19   #2
BHPian

As you can see in the above pictures, I have custom made fiberglass pods for my midrange and tweeters, with a mounting plate on the dash. This was the one major compromise that we had to make since I didn't want any cutting, or screwing etc on my original body panels. The other problem was that pillar pods were extremely impractical. It was obstructing vision on the drivers side, and hence we had to settle for dash pods with a mounting plate that has been stuck on.

The next is the fiberglass sub enclosure. I don't know any details on what size it is or what frequency it was tuned at, but my installers knows his stuff and it's incredibly strong and well built.

Apart from that, the Iridium midbass pictured above is an amazing speaker. God was it heavy when I took it out of the box. Then comparing it to the stock speakers of the accord...Hell I couldn't believe that a Rs 18 Lakh odd car came with such crap installed.

Last edited by DocG : 5th December 2009 at 13:23.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:51   #3
BHPian

A few more pictures, but these are of the "finished" install. [My install will probably never be 100%. There are so many things I want to get done, that coupled with the lack of funds and the lack of time make it a constant work in progress...]

All comments are welcome. I would love to hear your thoughts on the install.
If anyone desires an audition, please send a PM.

With regards to details on pricing I don't remember what each individual component cost as of now, but I'll work out the costs soon and post them.

Cheers,
And thanks for viewing
Attached Thumbnails
Invasion of the Swedes-pc031223.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-pc031229.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-pc031233.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-pc031235.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-pc031240.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-pc031241.jpg  

Invasion of the Swedes-7429_138330732650_138321317650_3077943_3827952_n.jpg  

Old 5th December 2009, 14:12   #4
BHPian

Hey DocG welcome back. Your system is amazing. I don't have any idea about such a comprehensive and beautiful ICE system, before looking at your creation.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:40   #5
BHPian

Jeez, that setup looks nice, neat & clean. Please post the price you payed for this component-wise.

Also, where is the cap ?
Old 6th December 2009, 14:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mods : Just to clarify - DocG is no longer commercially afiliated with Motorsounds and therefore this thread showcasing his personal car is allowed according to the current Team-BHP rules.
Old 6th December 2009, 15:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hey DocG welcome back. Your system is amazing. I don't have any idea about such a comprehensive and beautiful ICE system, before looking at your creation.
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I remember your reaction to the system back then, and can only tell you that she's sounding much, much better as of today...We should definitely meet up some day soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
Jeez, that setup looks nice, neat & clean. Please post the price you payed for this component-wise.

Also, where is the cap ?
Thank you, still working out the individual pricing, a little confused though as some components were exchanged for others etc.
The cap is located behind the RHS amp rack. I wanted it hidden since even though it looks great, it would've thrown off the symmetry and balance of the install. I have a pic of it off the net below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Note from Mods : Just to clarify - DocG is no longer commercially afiliated with Motorsounds and therefore this thread showcasing his personal car is allowed according to the current Team-BHP rules.
I'm sorry, what you've posted is true, but has caught me off guard. Are there any objections to this thread? In which case should I post a clarification?

Last edited by DocG : 6th December 2009 at 15:29.
Old 6th December 2009, 16:02   #8

what the Hell is that Pink Carpeting thing in your boot?? It looks like the inside of someone's mouth!! And Pink NEONS!!????
Old 6th December 2009, 16:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
what the Hell is that Pink Carpeting thing in your boot?? It looks like the inside of someone's mouth!! And Pink NEONS!!????
Thanks for the comment. The carpeting thing is actually velvet, and the colour of the neons and LEDs etc is red. I guess I need to use a better camera. Will also post some more pics soon taken in daylight, maybe that will help.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2009, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have seen the install when it was just done, and the system wasn't tuned, so I won't comment on how it sounds (since the subs were off) but it looks amazing. Good workmanship and great choice of components, but the velvet kind of hits the eye.

Would love to hear it. And I know it sounds great!!

Great car, good stuff!
Old 6th December 2009, 18:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking install DocG. The abundance of pink kind of burnt my retina though. lol Is the car some kind of a bright gold color? Post a video if you can.
Old 6th December 2009, 18:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pretty neat install DocG.. Enjoy!
Old 6th December 2009, 18:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have seen the install when it was just done, and the system wasn't tuned, so I won't comment on how it sounds (since the subs were off) but it looks amazing. Good workmanship and great choice of components, but the velvet kind of hits the eye.

Would love to hear it. And I know it sounds great!!

Great car, good stuff!
Thanks franky, yeah you had auditioned the system when she was highly attenuated (System was 2 or 3 days old if I remember) She sounds very different now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Nice looking install DocG. The abundance of pink kind of burnt my retina though. lol Is the car some kind of a bright gold color? Post a video if you can.
Hehe yeah, I'll post the daytime pics soon. The car is the regular gold accord, the camera used wasn't very good at capturing reds I guess, it kinda turned everything pink with the flash. Pics were taken in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Pretty neat install DocG.. Enjoy!
Thanks loads mate.

Behind the velvet is a lot of dynamat. I hated the look of it as it wasn't 1 piece, and people who didn't have knowledge about ICE couldn't phathom the idea of damping, got tired of explaining what it was lol, finally got some velvet draped over it. Although a little suggestive of an alternate lifestyle lol, it looks neater.

Cheers.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:36   #14
BHPian

Truely PIMP is what i can say.. so whats next ?
Old 7th December 2009, 11:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I initially had a budget of Rs25,000. This went to Rs 50,000...Then I hit Rs100,000...This was my the limit my father set on my splurge.:
Lucky you! a Rs. 1L Budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
The cap is located behind the RHS amp rack

I'm sorry, what you've posted is true, but has caught me off guard. Are there any objections to this thread? In which case should I post a clarification?
Why use a cap? Was the dimming of the headlights that bothersome?

Doc, the reason Rehaan posted that was beucase if you were affiliated with Motorsounds this install could not be permitted. As per TBHP rules you can only post an install of your car. Which is what you have done. Rehaan was just issuing a clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I'd expect Frank to make that analogy (being that he is a dentist).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks