Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 18:39   #61
naughty001

To be honest i really love what is being projected about that MS8 - it will be an awesome unit when it is finally launched purely because if it took two to three years to research and develop it will probably have the fewest flaws of all the processors available on the market. I am really waiting to see what it is capable off.

Old 8th January 2010, 10:26   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
To be honest i really love what is being projected about that MS8 - I am really waiting to see what it is capable off.
So is half the car audio world!

Poor Andy, expectations are so high!
Old 8th January 2010, 10:38   #63
BHPian

Ok - Here are the updates.

Firstly after repositioning the tweets, its a lot less sharp and dosent hurt the ears as much. But its still is way too bright for my liking.

Regarding changing the HU. Here is what I have found out:

1. I connected a Blaupunkt Toronto 400 BT receiver and none of the steering controls work. Surprising because the adapter at the back is identical to the stock HU.

2. After searching the net for a while, this is what I stumbled across: CTSFA004 CAN interface for the Grande Punto. http://www.connects2.com/Instructions/SFA004.PDF

However with this, it just enables the audio controls. The Windows button and the phone button are still unusable. Now thats a problem because the phone button does a lot more than just answer calls. It has Update, System Code, Media Player access, message Reader etc all are accessed from the phone button.

So, i'm still looking around on how this could actually be done.

Does the stock HU have the blue tooth adaptor? Or is it part of some Blue & Me device outside the stock HU? If the BT adaptor is not part of the stock HU then I dont need to go for a HU with blue tooth. I just need to get a normal one and figure out how to get them to interface together.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Blaupunkt Toronto 400 BT is not the right unit to replace the GP OE HU.

* It already has Bluetooth, so it will override any attempts by Blue&me to connect to your handset for controlling

* Steering controls in GP are resistor-ladder. The Blaupunkt Toronto 400 BT accepts only digital-pulse type remote input

You should try out units like Hamburg, London etc. which don't have in-built Bluetooth.

For using the steering mounted buttons, you have to search for a "Steering Remote Control Adapter/Interface" or "Lenkradfernbedienungsadapter" for GP. This would be a small box with one cable that connect to the harness side for the steering buttons, and another cable that connects to the C2 connector on the back of a Blaupunkt HU (pins 10, 11, 12).

Blue&me unit is quite likely connected to the C3 and A (mute wire) connector in the OE unit. C1 connector is supposed to contain the Pre-out (F+R, 5V) connections to connect to the amplifier. All Blau THA...PnP amps are supposed to have a connector for C1.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Steering controls in GP are resistor-ladder. ...
"Lenkradfernbedienungsadapter" for GP.
wow, tbhp never fails to amuse me..! you just need to shoot an interesting question and there you have an answer, which is elaborate enough for a thesis!
Old 8th January 2010, 17:57   #66
BHPian

Please have a look at this link: http://www.connects2.com/Instructions/SFA004.PDF

\I guess it is the same steering connector you are refering to. However if you look at the PDF it indicates tgat the windows key and the Phone key will still not work.

I dont mind if i loose voice commands, but the phone button is also used to access some system code and some other features like update etc. Thats what i am worried about loosing.

I have read on the Alfa romeo forum that the B&Me audio can be connected to a AUX in, but the switching to phone needs to then be done manually by changing the source to Aux when a call comes.

I am intouch with Bass&Trouble and he said he too would try and look for some solution to this. He has explained to me that it makes no sence to try and work on this further unless the HU can be changed to a better one. Lest hope he can find something for me too!

Quote:
Blaupunkt Toronto 400 BT is not the right unit to replace the GP OE HU.

* It already has Bluetooth, so it will override any attempts by Blue&me to connect to your handset for controlling

* Steering controls in GP are resistor-ladder. The Blaupunkt Toronto 400 BT accepts only digital-pulse type remote input

You should try out units like Hamburg, London etc. which don't have in-built Bluetooth.

For using the steering mounted buttons, you have to search for a "Steering Remote Control Adapter/Interface" or "Lenkradfernbedienungsadapter" for GP. This would be a small box with one cable that connect to the harness side for the steering buttons, and another cable that connects to the C2 connector on the back of a Blaupunkt HU (pins 10, 11, 12).

Blue&me unit is quite likely connected to the C3 and A (mute wire) connector in the OE unit. C1 connector is supposed to contain the Pre-out (F+R, 5V) connections to connect to the amplifier. All Blau THA...PnP amps are supposed to have a connector for C1.
Old 9th January 2010, 09:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
C1 connector is supposed to contain the Pre-out (F+R, 5V) connections to connect to the amplifier. All Blau THA...PnP amps are supposed to have a connector for C1.
I missed this when i went through your post earlier. Are you saying the stock HU has preouts but they are just not exposed?
Old 10th January 2010, 17:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

They are exposed, but one needs a cable with an ISO connector to connect to it. Most dealers do not apply their mind to order the correct cable from Blaupunkt.

Can't figure out from that PDF file, since it does not name any cable or connection. Also, the box is connecting to the HU via a jack, which is a pointer to Pio/Alpine/JVC/Clarion, not Blau. But, I think this is similar to what I was trying to describe.

If wired correctly, i.e. without bypassing the Blue&me box, the Windows and Phone button will work correctly. The Blue&me box is already connected to the HU appropriately (including Phone Mute - mutes other audio sources when phone is off-hook), so one doesn't have to shift to Aux-in. I think Blue&me is already connected to Aux-in.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:40   #69
BHPian

Took the system out and tried a couple of things. Firstly, the C1 which is supposed to be the pre-outs already has a wired connector in it..

To check, I removed just the C1 connector and just the Blue & Me voice command stopped working. Hence may be the C1 connector has been changed to a line in as apposed to thestandard line out.

In that case, if im correct, the Aftermarket HU just needs to have:

1. Can bus connectivity
2. One Tel in connector
3. and additional Aux In ( which in this case is the C1)

The only connector not used on the stock HU was the C3 connector and i believe thats for the CD changer.

Beyond this, im gonna need someone who know more about car audio to help me. I'm just hittin in the dak now.

There is one more option though not very desirable but it will preserve the warranty!

1. Attach another HU with remote in the Glove Box.
2. Connect the Spealer Wires from the stock HU to the AUX IN of the new HU. This new HU should have auto switching to AUX.
3. Use the product mentioned abpve SFA004 to wire the steering controls to the new HU without disconnecting them from the old HU.

That way I have volume, src and track change on the steering connected to both the HU's. When the stock HU is on, it should get priority and AUX more should automatically be enabled on the new HU. The phone and window key would remain connected as they are to the stock HU.

Not the most elegant solution but this way my warrany is intact + i get the SQ of a good HU + all steering controlls work!

Last edited by Crimson : 10th January 2010 at 23:47.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:35   #70
BHPian

Does anyone know how much the RF 3sixty.2 costs in India?
Old 30th January 2010, 00:58   #71
BHPian

Probably no one knows more about ICE better than you. Only lesson I ve learnt from your thread is not to splurge so much money on buying expensive speakers for my Punto as I'll only end up changing the HU. Let us know the developments?
Old 15th February 2010, 21:46   #72
BHPian

Collecting some more equipment:

Here is what I have bought

1. 360.2 - 210$ (with factory refurbished warranty)
2. Audiocontrol LC6i Used - 35$ (Will use this to drive the 3sixty with strong 5V / 7V pre-outs.

Here is what I plan to get:

Sub: ID CTX - (will get this from India Itself)
I can either use 2 channels of the FOCAL amp to drive the sub OR get this: Amp for Sub - Sony 600 watt monobloc for 40$. Factory Refurbished.

May plan for rear fills later on. Thanks Bass&Trouble for all the help!
Old 16th February 2010, 11:49   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
2. Audiocontrol LC6i Used - 35$ (Will use this to drive the 3sixty with strong 5V / 7V pre-outs.
be prepared to loose the LC6i - I dont see why it is required but for $35 it is worth a try jus tbe prepared to eliminate it from the circuit.

in fact I would first try to do without the LC6 and addd it only if you do get any hiss.
Old 16th February 2010, 14:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know how much the RF 3sixty.2 costs in India?
I understand that you have already bought the 360.2, however for the benefit of others who might have the same question, here are the prices
sent by Rockford Fosgate distributor for India.

3Sixty.1 – Rs. 24,990/-
3Sixty.2 – Rs. 39,990/-

BTW can you let me know from which site you bought the refurbished
360.2?.

Also can some one let me know if the 360.2 can be used to connect directly to the speakers (when there is no intermediate AMP involved?.).
Old 16th February 2010, 23:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Collecting some more equipment:

Here is what I have bought

That's a good price you got there for the RF. However I don't see how the LC6 can help here as the RF has a 5V output. So even if you feed it from the stock HU with lower current your RF acts as a line driver and will push out current close to 5V.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks