Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 01:15   #256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
OT: 30 Farad capacitor, do you have anymore details of the equipments he's running.
So how is the 30F capacitor going to help?
Old 15th August 2010, 01:39   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
By helping sell audio equipment, since its a demo car.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:18   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yeah I think that is the main role of the capacitor, rather than stabilizing the voltage.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:40   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, Nitrous has it spot on. I doubt if any sane person would buy everything that's there in the Estilo, but as a demonstrator, it's damn good. It's a proper 7.1 system. Did I tell you the SPL can be heard at Ameer Mahal? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Yeah I think that is the main role of the capacitor, rather than stabilizing the voltage.
I think it's also to ensure that the alternator doesn't die when the SPL is cranked up. It's not possible to sit inside for more than a few seconds when it's in that mode. And a 30f capacitor looks big and intimidating. Total output should be in the range of 4500 RMS.

Last edited by Gilead : 15th August 2010 at 09:45.
Old 15th August 2010, 17:14   #260
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need your inputs fast and Quick.

I need a car that is SOLID. I needs to handle quite some power. I want to hear music only no rattles. Budget is 8.5 L Max.

Thinking of these three cars so support my ICE.

Fiesta S
(For: Stock Location of Midbasses, Looks, Power, Boot (Can have a nice big enclosure for my Ultimo )
Against: poor F/E, Resale value, Price exceeds 8L)
Figo TDCi
(For: Stock Location of Midbasses, City driveability, Good Mileage, Decent Boot space and Future plans for Tuning boxes
Against: Dated Diesel thats lacks outright performance, Not great looking either, Price 6.2L but no alloys, no fogs, no rear P/W )
Polo 1.6
(For: Build Quality seems superb, inside out, Good Boot space, Fresh and powerful
Against: Delivery by Oct only, Cramped Rear)

Please let me know of your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mi10 : 15th August 2010 at 17:17.
Old 15th August 2010, 17:22   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Guys, need your inputs fast and Quick.

I need a car that is SOLID. I needs to handle quite some power. I want to hear music only no rattles. Budget is 8.5 L Max.
Dude, you are nuts!!

I would have told you to go for the Vento Trendline Petrol, but it seems to be too basic. Go for the Fiesta S. Just listen to my 'undamped' car tonight. And you might have noticed some of the best ICE here are all running on Fiestas.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:49   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think it's also to ensure that the alternator doesn't die when the SPL is cranked up.
The 30F cap will at best allow for a few seconds.

Quote:
Fiesta S
(For: Stock Location of Midbasses, Looks, Power, Boot (Can have a nice big enclosure for my Ultimo )
Against: poor F/E, Resale value, Price exceeds 8L)
ICEers dont talk about FE and resale value. Banish those thoughts.

Just kidding but of thoese 3 cars teh Fiesta is your best option. If the price exceeds your budget maybe you can look at a slightly used one (2 years 20k) or if you want 2 x i3 carupters and all of the good stuff just steal Frank's!.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:41   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, you are nuts!!

I would have told you to go for the Vento Trendline Petrol, but it seems to be too basic. Go for the Fiesta S. Just listen to my 'undamped' car tonight. And you might have noticed some of the best ICE here are all running on Fiestas.
Yes, i think it will be a toss up between the Polo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6S.
But are built like fortress.

Heard my friends Figo TDCi. The NVH is quite high. Infact the Diesel clatter put me off almost immediately.

Quote:
ICEers dont talk about FE and resale value. Banish those thoughts.
Agreed on the resale part. But FE ?? I need to drive and listen to my music ji, not park at home and listen

I like the banishing part, though ;-)

Quote:

Just kidding but of thoese 3 cars teh Fiesta is your best option. If the price exceeds your budget maybe you can look at a slightly used one (2 years 20k) or if you want 2 x i3 carupters and all of the good stuff just steal Frank's!.
Used Fiesta wont get approval from Home ministry. But i really like the second part of the deal
Old 17th August 2010, 20:50   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The installer called me after seeing the comments above.

He says the Estilo has a poor stock battery (same as Alto). His car has run only run 1500 kms in about a year and a half since it was bought and it stands idle in the garage acting as a demonstrator on most days. The alternator does not get to charge the battery often, so that's why he needs a 30 farad capacitor to keep the demos going. He does not install caps of these size in customer cars. He would be happy to clarify more on the phone or in person. Contact details are in the Directory.

Last edited by Gilead : 17th August 2010 at 20:59.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:33   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He says the Estilo has a poor stock battery (same as Alto). His car has run only run 1500 kms in about a year and a half since it was bought and it stands idle in the garage acting as a demonstrator on most days. The alternator does not get to charge the battery often, so that's why he needs a 30 farad capacitor to keep the demos going. He does not install caps of these size in customer cars. He would be happy to clarify more on the phone or in person. Contact details are in the Directory.
Hey great, so is the installer reading my thread, good i need not explain my objective in detail

BTW, will a 1 F Cap be ok for my power output ?
Old 17th August 2010, 22:47   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey great, so is the installer reading my thread, good i need not explain my objective in detail

I don't know what your power output is. What is it.. 1500 RMS now? Best to call him and find out.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:52   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The alternator does not get to charge the battery often, so that's why he needs a 30 farad capacitor to keep the demos going.
a. If the car does not run long enough to chrage the battery then when would it chrage the capacitor?

b. A capacitor is not a source of power it is just a store house of power that can be used for occasional peaks. A typical cap (1F) in a typical system (1000W rms) will provide power for just a few milliseconds (typically 20-50ms). For example for the kind of music I listen to (Jazz or Rock) it will do but for Trace and Hip Hop that have continous bass beats once the first beat drains the capacitor and second beat comes before the the capacitor has charged it wont help much.

c, The best way to tell if you need a cap is if the headlights dim for a few milliseconds everytime you get a bass peak.

Quote:
1F for 1000W is fine (given the limitations stated above).

BTW if it is purely a technical discussion we welcome your instalelrs view on thie forum so many others can read it at their leisure - we are open for discussion.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:12   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a. If the car does not run long enough to chrage the battery then when would it chrage the capacitor?
The car is started only when the ICE is switched on. Can the capacitor charge then, or does the car actually need to move to charge it?
Old 18th August 2010, 11:30   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is started only when the ICE is switched on. Can the capacitor charge then, or does the car actually need to move to charge it?
In case of Alternator whine, it generally increases when rpm increases.

Hence, i think Batteries and Caps do charge faster if we move. INfact, the faster we go, faster the alternators run and faster the Batteries / Caps charge

PLease correct me if am wrong in this intrepretation
Old 18th August 2010, 12:05   #270
Senior - BHPian

Your installer will be better off keeping the battery connected to a battery charger in low charge mode. It is incorrect to expect 30F capacitor to be doing the job of a battery. Even if he is getting it for free!

Most Viewed