Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:52   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: "In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Sounds just perfect.
You will diffidently get a call on my next trip to your town. Make sure u remove some time out
Sure, my Pleasure Abi,

Quote:
Crossover point at set at best. However I would have liked if if the midrange were set a bit lower and higher. Midrange upto 5k hz would work the best in my opinion. And since the tweeter is set next to the midrange you could use steeper slope to cancel any phase issue. You could probably try this later once the drivers passes the break in period.
Might make some improvement in imaging.

Cheers!
Yeah Thought about it, But my resonant frequency of Mid range is just around 450 Hz, so i dont want to take a chance by choosing an XO point lesser than 1 octave above its Fs. But i think it should be comfortable doing 630 Hz, which is what you had in mind i guess.

THe Best part is Midbass is well up the doors, giving me the freedom to play around the XO point of Mid Range.

On The other side of it, Response curves say its quite linear till ~6Khz region. But since i am going passive between Mids and Tweets, i dont have the real freedom to play around with XO, unless i go in for a different XO altogether.

Maybe, i can do that experiment little later. Right now i am just taking time off to enjoy the music.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:08   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Auditioned Mi10's 'In Car Concert Simulator' and I'm mighty impressed!

Very true to life, as original as it can be, live concert experience. WOW!

Great Job Praveen. You are living your dream

PS: Good luck to your next project

Last edited by kiku007 : 23rd December 2010 at 10:09.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:26   #348
Senior - BHPian

I got the credit of auditioning this setup yesterday. The whole audition left me speechless, never I have heard such good Music in a car. I dont care if its called SQ or SPL or SQL, but this setup plays pure Music.

Visual appeal, the installation looks neat and I loved the placement of the amp & sub. The Geneis is neatly tucked in behind the seat. The moment you get into the car you see this simple Eclipse HU there is no hint of anything special. A normal person would miss to see the A/C vents replaced with the Morels as well. The Morels are sitting nice & perfect in the A/C vents. I am sure the Ford A.S.S guys are going to break their head about this new Morel A/C vent . Such an innocent looking setup looking absolutely stock!

The Audition, typically covered Tamil songs, where a majority of them were A.R Rahman's creation. I have heard a few Home audio systems which can produce all the sweet mixing in ARR's music. This setup did score above the Home Audio systems. The flexibility in size & location of the Home Audio systems makes it easier to achieve pure music, to achieve this in a car is something. This setup did really score well over the Home audio systems and easily over any ICE setup in a car that I have ever heard.

@Pravin, I would call it a year's 'thavam' for this wonderful music has finally paid off. Good stuff, really good stuff!
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:25   #349
BHPian

My thoughts after the teaser audition: Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Install - Near perfect install by PZ. From a mere look one can clearly say that a lot of thought process (by Mi10 & PZ) & attention to detail has gone in prior to the actual install. On the whole, a job well done. Kudos to Mi10 & PZ

Sound stage - Absolutely brilliant, the imaging was fantastic. Even at high volumes the musical nuances & details were clean & clear. At the front the mid range sounded a tad bright to my taste but the subwoofer was really transperant & blended well with the mid bass and I could feel no rattling at all. At the back, the mid range mellows out a bit and I could feel some rattle. But the rattles are less for a sub powered with 1000W RMS. I would say that the Ford Fiesta as such played a big role in the final outcome setup with its stock speaker locations, versatility and build quality.

Final words - Mi10, hats off to you. Your passion and perseverance has paid rich dividends. I'm sure many here (including me) would love to have setup like yours. Congratulations once again.

P.S: Mods, I think it would be really apt to remove the word "budget" from the thread's title and replace it with "true".
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:49   #350
BHPian

Congrats Mi10 !

That is one hell of an setup. I really admire your passion in the midst of 'kitna deti hai' crowd. Hoping to get an audition in one of the meets or at the track sometime.

You are the true ICEMAN of chennai ! Enjoy the accolades and ofcourse the music.
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:27   #351
BHPian

In a car setup, I am missing the stereo effect if a 2 channel source is played.

For example, Hotel California Live if played in a home hi-fi setup, one can clearly make out certain instruments from left/right speakers, whereas vocals and some other instruments like drums emanating from ghost center.

However, in all car setups I have heard, including mine, I miss out on that stereo effect, even though all instruments are clearly audible.

Hopefully, I have been able to articulate the issue.

Is this a drawback in a car becos of the driver sitting position and speakers being to too close to the ears compared to a home setup?
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:20   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
In a car setup, I am missing the stereo effect if a 2 channel source is played.
Its because one channel is much closer to you than the other. So that makes the nearer channel louder, plus it arrives at your ears about 1-2 ms sooner.
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:51   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Its because one channel is much closer to you than the other. So that makes the nearer channel louder, plus it arrives at your ears about 1-2 ms sooner.
Okay..that's the problem! Solution kya hai sir?

Are u saying no option but to live with it?

I have tried playing around with speaker level calibration and TA avlbl on the HU but seems more needs to be done.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:02   #354
Senior - BHPian

@ sanjayc, TA is supposed to address this issue in cars! A badly set TA could cause this delay or the issue as you want to call it.

Btw, do we need to hijack Mi10's thread for this query!? Please post it in 'Ask the Guru' section. You might be able to get a convincing help for this!
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:05   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Okay..that's the problem! Solution kya hai sir?

Are u saying no option but to live with it?

I have tried playing around with speaker level calibration and TA avlbl on the HU but seems more needs to be done.
1. Positioning of the tweeters, aiming. Applies to midranges also in the case of 3-way systems.
2. Adjusting the levels so that output on both channels is as close to equal as possible for the desired listening position.
3. Delaying speakers that are closer to compensate for the difference in arrival time.
4. Any equalization that may be required.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:35   #356
Senior - BHPian

Re: "In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile

Quote:
You could probably try this later once the drivers passes the break in period.
I never really belived in 'this Break-in' thing for drivers.

But the setup, now sounds a lot more punchier at the same volume level. Is that becuause of the Break in Period ??

The Midbass seems to be more forward and is making an impact cleanly. The Sub is seems to be playing same. But when you crank the volume up, It shows what one thousand rms of low frequncey mean !!!

Still I dont feel like tweaking the EQ nor set the TA !. I dont feel the need to touch anything in that Eclipse, Good Lord. Even i never expected such a day and night difference between a Passive and Active Setup (ok, a Semi Active one)

People with 7200 MK II, you really dont know what your missing till you go Active with it.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:00   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I never really belived in 'this Break-in' thing for drivers.

But the setup, now sounds a lot more punchier at the same volume level. Is that becuause of the Break in Period ??

The Midbass seems to be more forward and is making an impact cleanly. The Sub is seems to be playing same. But when you crank the volume up, It shows what one thousand rms of low frequncey mean !!!

Still I dont feel like tweaking the EQ nor set the TA !. I dont feel the need to touch anything in that Eclipse, Good Lord. Even i never expected such a day and night difference between a Passive and Active Setup (ok, a Semi Active one)

People with 7200 MK II, you really dont know what your missing till you go Active with it.
That's right, that is the breakin period I was talking about. Every driver takes certain amount time to breakin. Some may take more. The results are seen midbass and in highs from the tweeter. Subs can easily take around 70-100 hours to completely breakin.
Morel drivers take longer breakin time compared to most others. I have played with them extensively and I can surely tell these would sound better as you listen more and more.
The other thing I tried to improve on mid and midbass is to put thick closed cell foam around the speakers on the spacer with the foam height of 1" and the midbass got much more punchy and sounded much cleaner along with the midrange (since it was running in 2way setup).

Eclipse is one the best HU money could buy. If it was able to do 4 way active would be just perfect. When I heard this HU in Franks car I was amazed how clean it sounded.
Once you tweak the TA and EQ it surely would add to the bliss.

Last edited by Invinsible : 4th January 2011 at 10:10.
Old 20th January 2011, 17:52   #358
BHPian

Hi
I need some suggestions from you regarding this problem of mine-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post2216146

I am losing my sleep over this.
Regards
Abhinav
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:59   #359
BHPian

Mi10, this is one fantastic thread on ICE. Thoroughly enjoyed going through the pages, the effort and passion is there for everyone to see. How I wish I could audition the sound in your car and maybe take some pointers !
Old 4th March 2011, 10:24   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Mi10, this is one fantastic thread on ICE. Thoroughly enjoyed going through the pages, the effort and passion is there for everyone to see. How I wish I could audition the sound in your car and maybe take some pointers !
Many Thanks.

Now the Setup is running a slightly tweaked XO set up and the staging and music is just phenomenal

Sub : LPF 63 Hz @ 6 db slope
Midbass : HPF 63 Hz @ 24 db slope and LPF at 630 Hz @ 12 db slope
Mid Range : HPF 630 Hz @ 12 db slope and LPF 3800 Hz @ 6 db slope
Tweeter: HPF 3800 Hz @ 6 db slope (Passive XO)

The Sub is so so so invisible and plays exceptionally fast.

Infact for normal listening levels, I ve already received many comments like;
"Now, can you switch on the Sub"
"Why is the Sub so low in power"
"You dont you drill a vent so that the Sub frequencies come inside the cabin"
"Are you sure the Sub is 1000 rms ?"

I just laugh myself.

Ofcourse when i crank it up, the SPL levels are too hard to believe for an SQ tuned setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks