Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 10:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I used the same speakers in my Wagon R. But with out amplifier. It was not giveing good effect. But the Kenwood KFC - 1656NM4 speaker is 2way round which is right fit for Door slot in Ritz and the effects of 4 speaker front and rear doors are really better than the JBL.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:11   #17
BHPian

The reason you did not get the desired 'effect' was because you were running the components from the HU, you should have got yourself an amplifier rather than changing them to coax.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Front speakers in doors or dash.
Rear speakers preferably in the doors, but where it is not possible (like 6X9s), parcel tray.
I am not a fan of putting speakers in boxes.
Car speakers are designed for various applicaqtions.

Most car speakers (Coax and small component midbass drivers) are designed to work in lossy enclosures (read as 'car doors'). Stuff suich a speaker in a box might produce a less than desireable result - often with the bass being completely rollled off and a significant bump in the midbass or other such anamoly.

Most 6x9s are desinged to be used in free air installs (read as 'rear deck' or 'parcel tray').

In short use a speaker that has been designed for the location you desire to put the speaker in. For example some coax speakers have a highly exagggerated treble to compensate for the fact that the tweeter if very much off axis and the speaker is firing at your knee. Moving this speaker to a location where the tweeter is on axis might make the speaker sound irritatingly shrill.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:59   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
JBL GTo due to budget constraints. Can you suggest me in any as am a noob in this regard
Evaluate also Blaupunkt THx or economical GTx series.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
JBL GTo due to budget constraints. Can you suggest me in any as am a noob in this regard
Falcon, go for that one and i've also planned to buy it. Its VFM!

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
The JBL GTO608C will give you some awesome bang for the buck. I was amazed by the speakers when a friend had it installed. I strongly suggest you this, but you will need a amplifier to run the components. The components will give you a very different listening experience compared to the co-axials, once you listen to them you will know.

Happy ICE'ing
Hello Mr, how are you? we had a plan on last week, any updates?

Cheers,
L&S
Old 16th December 2009, 13:29   #21
BHPian

@Navan - For how much did you get the Kenwood 543 with USB port?

@sathee - Ya i know, but don't want to shell out that much for ICE :(
Old 14th February 2010, 14:01   #22
BHPian

Any alternatives for locating 6x9 other than parcel tray

Having to accomodate the LPG cylinder in the boot of my Zen, made removal of the parcel tray (with its two 6x9 speakers) mandatory. Now the poor speakers are kept loose (although the magnet really sticks them to the metal body of the boot) and the bass has taken a real beating.
From what I understand, those 6x9s can't be accomodated inside the rear door panels. Will putting them in the hatch door be a viable option? The speakers would then be blocked by the cylinder, not to mention subsequent problems with the hatch door. Any options/suggestions?
Old 14th February 2010, 16:33   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Having to accomodate the LPG cylinder in the boot of my Zen, made removal of the parcel tray (with its two 6x9 speakers) mandatory. Now the poor speakers are kept loose (although the magnet really sticks them to the metal body of the boot) and the bass has taken a real beating.
From what I understand, those 6x9s can't be accomodated inside the rear door panels. Will putting them in the hatch door be a viable option? The speakers would then be blocked by the cylinder, not to mention subsequent problems with the hatch door. Any options/suggestions?
You could concentrate on making front soundstage better with new 6.5" components in front doors(some minor mods will be needed);the 6*9s would need to go as putting them in the hatch would be of no use as the cylinder will spoil the sound - you could sell the speakers

With some more mods,you could accommodate 5.25" speakers in rear doors - has never been attempted by anyone I know,but not impossible either.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:42   #24
BHPian

Thanks vigsom. The only thing is, I wanted options for the existing setup without adding anything new as it's a 10 year old car.
Old 14th February 2010, 22:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks vigsom. The only thing is, I wanted options for the existing setup without adding anything new as it's a 10 year old car.
this was exactly the way I used to think ; stretch the equipment because the car is old !!!!

Now I am beginning to believe it makes sense to enjoy stuff NOW;when the car is sold,there will be a way out where you can continue to use your new equipment in the new car and give away the old car with the old stuff

Let me know your existing set up and then I will offer you some suggestions.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

@zen2001, why do you say your rear speakers cannot be accommodated because of the LPG cylinder? You could be just approximating the mounting situation!
1. The existing parcel tray can go in even with the cylinder present (did someone scare you about not keeping the speakers there because 'a spark from the speaker would be dangerous'?)
2. You can definitely mount them on the rear hatch. Will be good if you mount it on 1/2" MDF replacing the existing hatch pad. And no, the LPG cylinder will not block the sound
3. With a bit of imagination, you can figure out how to mount them in the boot area - C-pillar, quarter-glass or ceiling
Old 15th February 2010, 21:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@zen2001, why do you say your rear speakers cannot be accommodated because of the LPG cylinder? You could be just approximating the mounting situation!
1. The existing parcel tray can go in even with the cylinder present (did someone scare you about not keeping the speakers there because 'a spark from the speaker would be dangerous'?)
2. You can definitely mount them on the rear hatch. Will be good if you mount it on 1/2" MDF replacing the existing hatch pad. And no, the LPG cylinder will not block the sound
3. With a bit of imagination, you can figure out how to mount them in the boot area - C-pillar, quarter-glass or ceiling
I have tried placing the speakers everywhere in the trunk, at all angles, and the only place they fit is in the little space on either sides of the cylinder. That too is almost impossible near the fuel filler side. (This is where I've kept them for now; no I'm not spooked by the "spark") Can't keep them under the cylinder as I would have to keep them loose so as to access the jack/spare tyre.

Hatch mounting - From the experience of those who have done this as their primary choice, they have had problems with excessive hatch vibrations and even failure of the "shocks". Ultimately, they had to be moved to the parcel tray.

No, the parcel tray won't fit even if cut right till its borders (as I have a large 50L cylinder).

And C-pillar, quarter glass & ceiling?? Are you serious?
Old 21st February 2010, 04:02   #28
BHPian

Any suggestions, guys? Otherwise I might as well box them and keep them on the rear seat!
Old 21st February 2010, 09:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Hatch mounting - From the experience of those who have done this as their primary choice, they have had problems with excessive hatch vibrations and even failure of the "shocks". ...

No, the parcel tray won't fit even if cut right till its borders (as I have a large 50L cylinder). ...
Could you please post a picture of your boot with the cylinder? Difficult to imagine otherwise, especially the parcel tray part - unless your cylinder is 600mm or so in dia. or vertically oriented!

Also, difficult to imagine what "hatch vibrations" (simple to damp with cc foam) or failure of "shocks" (I presume you mean the pneumatic lifters of the hatch) have to do with it. Seems more like empirical assumptions ("I think so and so will happen") than actual happening, considering there are thousands of others who have hatch mounted speakers (seems to be the preferred location of accessory guys if one doesn't want a tray) and don't face such problems.

Quote:
... And C-pillar, quarter glass & ceiling?? Are you serious?
You haven't searched around / read other older threads here, have you? Just remember, where there is will, there is a way!
Old 28th February 2010, 02:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post a picture of your boot with the cylinder? Difficult to imagine otherwise, especially the parcel tray part - unless your cylinder is 600mm or so in dia. or vertically oriented!
Suffice it to say that the transversely mounted cylinder occupies nearly the entire breadth of the rear seat (even the parcel tray mounts had to be removed to accomodate it).

Quote:
Also, difficult to imagine what "hatch vibrations" (simple to damp with cc foam) or failure of "shocks" (I presume you mean the pneumatic lifters of the hatch) have to do with it. Seems more like empirical assumptions ("I think so and so will happen") than actual happening, considering there are thousands of others who have hatch mounted speakers (seems to be the preferred location of accessory guys if one doesn't want a tray) and don't face such problems.
The overall increase in the weight of the hatch (including the speakers, MDF, foam etc) has a deleterious effect on the hydraulic lifts and hinges, as I have been told by some people who had done the same. Their problems were only solved after removing the speakers from the hatch door. ICE installers also confirmed the same.

Quote:
You haven't searched around / read other older threads here, have you? Just remember, where there is will, there is a way!
I've searched a lot AFAIK. It would help if you could direct me to any specific post that I may have missed out. Any pics of the same would also be helpful.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks