Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2005, 12:59   #16
BHPian

GTO, many of these head units will have an output connection for the iPod adapter. Even my Pioneer 5750 has one. If you can get the HU out and check the back, you will know. Which head unit is it by the way?
Old 20th August 2005, 13:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin boston has an Ipod adapter fitted from on a new 545... it was a 10min job cost about 150$....probably mercedes will charge the same price......i suggest u buy it from a mercedes dealer abroad and have it fitted by auto hangar or somethign i am sure it wont be a diff thing to do.
Other alternative
DONT use the iTrip.........i bought one was fed up of the quality in 1 month
Best option - Get an AUX cable outlet from your panel.......this will give the best quality possible
2nd and easiest option is to get a cassttee adapter...... thats what i am using......but ONLY SONY !! trust me on this one ... i have used various cassttee players but nothign beats the sony one....the quality diff is huggge.....the sony is exactly like CD quality u really cant tell the diff.
Old 20th August 2005, 16:10   #18
BHPian

GTO,
The problem is that docking station that you see on ebay is for a Audio 10 system and in my E and ur new C we have the Audio 20 system ... Need to get a plug and play thing for this ...
I agree with you on the Menu scrolling thing ... thats the reason why i havent yet bought an IPOD coz my max listening is in Car Audio...

Binz,
What you were talking about is the same thing as I-TRIP FM Transmitter....

Let me find out if DCIL is going to have something like that for the AUDIO 20 ...

Cheers
Old 20th August 2005, 16:27   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Simply press a button on the car radio to switch it on: the ?AUX? button on those models with a navigation system (Audio 50 APS and COMAND), and the ?CDC? button for the Audio 5 CD and Audio 20 CD radio models. A particular advantage of the Mercedes-Benz system: other devices such as a CD changer are not affected because the iPod® Interface Kit is connected to the audio system via a separate interface. The navigation system and other functions controlled directly via the head unit can still be used as normal.
Taken from a German Car Fans Article.

The new kit is compatible with the Audio 20. But it requires a professional installer and none of the dealerships here seem to have an inkling of it.

GTO
Old 22nd August 2005, 13:42   #20
Team-BHP Support

GTO, Does your HU have an Aux in? If so this is the next best method (failing not having a ipod integrator). The Ipod is effectively a 2004-2005 phenomenon hence most manufactureres only offer forward integration not backward integration. I would call up the MB dealer and hope they are better informed.
Old 22nd August 2005, 16:23   #21
BHPian

Hi Navin,
The OE head units in MERCs dont have AUX in ... and also the aux out is thru a wiring harness which is connected to the steering controls so they advice u not to cut any wire as it may coz error ... Wanted to upgrade the audio system in my car .. DCIL warned against and many others adviced not too and audio installers refused to touch it ...
I asked if there were any after market wiriing harness where one could get AUX out but even that is not available for the new W211 E class .. same goes for the new C class
Old 22nd August 2005, 17:23   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wanted to upgrade the audio system in my car .. DCIL warned against and many others adviced not too and audio installers refused to touch it ...
Just upgrade the speakers. That will be the safest upgrade.

GTO

P.S. Also find a nice iPod integration kit. Thats successful upgrade no.2
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:12   #23
Team-BHP Support

if you dont have an aux in and MB cant help with a ipod connector then you are limited to either a cassette adapter or FM adapter. I know neither is audiophile grade but then neither is the MP3 format. I am not trying to imply that MP3 is a poor format but if one is forced to use a FM adapter this is one way to rationalize it.
Old 22nd August 2005, 21:38   #24
BHPian

Mercs suck man... Tried to upgrade speakers but the high end component speakers wont fit in stock space... there is some kind of a plastic mount and also the magnet on the OE is really piddly... Component 6"ers with huge magnets dont sit in the given place... Once the Ipod dock comes from DCIL will get it installed... If you find one let me know GTO...
Old 23rd August 2005, 00:54   #25
BHPian

hey guys u remember the cassettes u used to get 4 the cd players that u cld insert into the deck and u vr all ready to listen to ur cds well the same is available for the ipod here in usa
Old 23rd August 2005, 09:55   #26
Team-BHP Support

EVO6, dont rate a speaker ONLY on teh size of the magnet. Case in point Dynaudio.
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:50   #27
Team-BHP Support

@GTO, i would like to suggest something different. There is something which is known by the name of FM transmitter for ipod. You can get it in any electronics market which sells high end things like ipod and stuff. Cost is in the range of 2K. All you have to do is plug it in your ipod. You do not need extra power supply also! It will generate FM radio signal at desired frequency for a range of 3-4 meters. Which means you listen to IPOD on an empty radio station. Some units have 50m range so you can actually Tune it to 91FM and force people to listen to your ipod instead of Star Radio . The plus of this is that it can be carried to any car which has a FM radio.
Old 23rd August 2005, 19:57   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks TSK. But I am really looking for something that can be integrated into the steering controls / standard audio unit. Thats why the keen-ness on Mercs iPod integration.

GTO
Old 24th August 2005, 14:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

GTO, sorry to say this but I dont think there si something like that. I am realy sorry! Unless they boys in Stuggart can help. I dont think you'd get any help from DCIL.
Old 6th September 2005, 10:27   #30
BHPian

Thanks to "CLS_55" for being pro-active and finding out details about the Mercedes iPod integration kit.

Good news : An official iPod integration kit is available from Mercedes Benz India. It has an official part number and will be fitted by Mercedes dealerships. The beauty of this kit is:

1. Total integration with the Merc on-board system. Ability to see track names etc. on the dash board display. Control tracks via the steering.

2. Plug and play. The iPod is not visible and is safely tucked away in the glovebox.

3. The iPod charges while connected to the socket. So no battery and recharging issues.

Cost? About Rs.24,000! I think its only a while before you see these kits on ebay or other lesser expensive sources. It would do good to make sure that the part number is the same to ensure compatibility.

@ CLS - Can ya help with the exact part number?

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks