Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Booked a Ikon TDCI.. Confusion with ICE(go with OEM or not)

I have just booked a Ford Ikon TDCI. The dealer has offered me the OEM ICE for Rs 10,000/- as against the MRP of 13,000/-. The dealer is giving me the Kenwood KDC-MP343 Unit with god knows which speakers(Ford Speakers).

Please suggest whether I should go with the OEM Kenwood or any other HU like Pioneer. I have a budget of Rs 10,000/- for the entire ICE

The main feature I require is USB input(Front or anywhere). Another thing the dealer told me was that other HU like pioneer/JVC cannot be installed in Ford vehicles as wires need to be cut which void the warranty. He says the Kenwood KDC-MP343 which for provides is direct plug and play unit as the required plugs/sockets are already there.

Thankx a lot for your valuable suggestions in advance.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Ask him to give a demo of the setup - IN any other Ikon. Compare that with other models of both HU & speakers. If you still like what the dealer is offering, then go for it.

Atleast one member recently upgraded the basic system the dealer offered him. He took the upgraded setup from the dealer itself.

If that ICE is not part of the car itself (like it is in Ikool), then suggest you shop around outside before you decide that part.

A good installer will be able to use another harness to connect any make of HU. what the dealer is saying is not entirely true - he is just trying to get you to buy what he has. So if you do get your system from outside, make sure the installer uses correct harness and does not cut the original power cables. (it is possible using wire-taps)
Old 16th December 2009, 21:12   #3
BHPian

there is a problem the unit (Kenwood KDC-Mp343) which the dealer is offering does not have USB Input...
The dealer has only one model thats the Kenwood KDC-MP343 and no other one. He is saing I'll be voiding the electrical warranty on the car if I install a ICE setup from outside.

Please Help me.
Old 16th December 2009, 22:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@agent009, there are many of us who did not take ICE from the dealer. So, chill. Unless the wires leading to the connector are cut, he cannot say that the warranty will be void.

Is there any other Ford dealer you can go to ?

Alternatively, if you want to play the dealers game :
1. tell him he should give what featuers you want and you will take it from him. He cannot force you to take a player that does not meet your requirements.
2. pick up another Kenwood with the USB player from outside. All Kenwoods will have the same connector. If the player used by the dealer does not void warranty, neither will another Kenwood taken from anywhere else.

3. Find a good ice installer, get it done using a proper harness. Go about your business.
Old 16th December 2009, 22:45   #5
BHPian

@agent009 : The dealer is just playing a fool game with you. Dont take his words. Tell him that you will not buy the car itself if it cannot have the HU of your choice. See how things change.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent009 View Post
there is a problem the unit (Kenwood KDC-Mp343) which the dealer is offering does not have USB Input...
The dealer has only one model thats the Kenwood KDC-MP343 and no other one. He is saing I'll be voiding the electrical warranty on the car if I install a ICE setup from outside.

Please Help me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
@agent009 : The dealer is just playing a fool game with you. Dont take his words. Tell him that you will not buy the car itself if it cannot have the HU of your choice. See how things change.
1. If a proper socket is used ther ei no way they can void the warranty.
2. if the dealer says he does not have the HU of your choice tell him that you will happily supply the HU and watch him suddenly get you the HU of your choice. A few years ago Arya Honda tried the same thing with my mom (for her NHC)!
Old 17th December 2009, 18:36   #7
BHPian

thankx for the reply friends

tried what you guys suggested but the dealer refuses to budge.
This is the list of problems I am facing
1) Only one FORD dealer in entire GOA and hence I cannot even cancel booking
2) He is not ready to install any outside units.
3) I have a budget of only 12K max for HU with USB input and good set of JBL speakers. will add an amp later..

after a lot of argument with the dealer and assurances from you people I have decide to install a good HU from outside.
So friends please suggest me a good unit within a budget of 12K(max already stretched) will and an amp later if i gather enough cash.

P.S i have gone through quite a few threads regarding recommendations but am a little confused with the 1RCA, 2RCA units whats the use of the RCA inputs. should I buy an unit with 1RCA or 2 RCA??

thankx a lot in advance
Old 18th December 2009, 09:38   #8
BHPian

I have Pioneer HU with JBL's allround, no wires cut or any issues with warranty.and even if the warranty is void it would be only for the electricals, which is not a big deal considering you get good ICE on a brand new car.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent009 View Post
3) I have a budget of only 12K max for HU with USB input and good set of JBL speakers. will add an amp later..

after a lot of argument with the dealer and assurances from you people I ave decide to install a good HU from outside.
So friends please suggest me a good unit within a budget of 12K(max already stretched) will and an amp later if i gather enough cash.should I buy an unit with 1RCA or 2 RCA??
1. make sure the person who installs the HU uses the requisite wiring harness
2. Pio and JVC make good HUs with the features you want for about 7K. For 5K/pair JBL's GT5 series will be perfect.
3. Get the HU with 2 pair of RCA outs. If the HU has 3 pair so much the better. It will aid you later when you add the amp.
Old 18th December 2009, 13:29   #10
BHPian

Congrates agent009.why dont you wait for some time and go for a better ICE setup ?
Old 18th December 2009, 21:50   #11
BHPian

ok got quotes for pioneer HU's
DEH 4190SD = 10,000/- with bill & 7,500/- without bill(Unit has 2RCA outs)
DEH 3190UB = 8,000/- with bill & 6,500/- without bill(Unit has 2RCA outs)
DEH 2190 = 7000/- with bill & 6000/- without bill(unit has 1 RCA out)

SPEAKERS
FOR REAR
JBL GTO 937 = 5500/-(pair) with Bill and warranty
JBL 396 = 3750/-(pair) with Bill and warranty

FRONT
JBL 652(6") = 2500/-(pair) with Bill and warranty

are these rates ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Congrates agent009.why dont you wait for some time and go for a better ICE setup ?
well I had similar plans when we bought our maruti zen 9 years ago and till date its without anyform of ICE.

so wont make that mistake twice..so getting the new IKON ICE'd on the day of delivery..

i just saw oon the pioneer india website that the HU's like DEH 4190SD support wired remote so I was wondering where I would find that remote so that I can attach it to the steering wheel some how..

thanks for helping in advance.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Make sure that your front speakers are components.

Are you planning to check any other brands of HU / speakers ?
Old 19th December 2009, 19:37   #13
BHPian

do we have any dealers in mumbai or anywher who could ship me the JBL spears(GTO 937 and JBL components)
Old 21st December 2009, 19:32   #14
BHPian

anyone please help....
got quotes for pioneer HU's
DEH 4190SD = 10,000/- with bill & 7,500/- without bill(Unit has 2RCA outs)
DEH 3190UB = 8,000/- with bill & 6,500/- without bill(Unit has 2RCA outs)
DEH 2190 = 7000/- with bill & 6000/- without bill(unit has 1 RCA out)

SPEAKERS
FOR REAR
JBL GTO 937 = 5500/-(pair) with Bill and warranty
JBL 396 = 3750/-(pair) with Bill and warranty

FRONT
JBL 652(6") = 2500/-(pair) with Bill and warranty

are these rates ok..

Also if required please suggest me a good alternative.. I have increased my budget to 15000/-
I donot plan to add an amp soon as I am not a sound maniac but this will be my first car with ICE so please help.
Also is it ok if I add only the rear speakers in the IKON and think abt the front door components later..

thanks in advance

Last edited by agent009 : 21st December 2009 at 19:47.
Old 21st December 2009, 20:00   #15
BHPian

also can I install the GTO 947 or 938 rear speakers without an amplifier..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks