Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 10:37   #1
BHPian

ICE for a Novice's i10

Friends, please help me choose the right ICE for my i10.

I am not much of an audiophile and not very technical though, hence I would entirely depend on the recommendations and options.

What I Want
  • DVD Player with USB, AUX, BLUETOOTH options
  • Door Speakers (component??)
  • Tweeters
  • Good decent cables to do the job
What I don’t want
  • Do not want to make any cutting on the door
  • Not to disturb any electrical that may void the warranty
  • Am not going in for a LCD screen now
Doubts
  • Is an amplifier required, is there any HU that can perform the job of the amp as well. The amp’s I have seen in t-bhp are all huge and I don’t want to eat up the boot space in i10
  • Same goes for woofer as well, any alternatives to woofer or can we go for good speakers that can make up for no woofer.
Budget
  • Around 20K, can stretch based on the options
Fitting
  • Please recommend a good installer in Chennai
Music Types
  • I mostly listen to Tamil Movie songs,fast beat english songs and instrumental.
Dear Moderators, since my ICE requirements are different and given my very little knowledge in ICE, I have started a new thread. Hope this is alright.
Old 20th December 2009, 23:26   #2
BHPian

A DVD player alone with all the features you have asked would blow your budget.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
A DVD player alone with all the features you have asked would blow your budget.
oh what are the other options then. Can you please suggest some other models.
Old 24th December 2009, 05:42   #4
BHPian

Hi Ikoneer

May I ask you why you want to have a DVD player but no LCD screen at all? (is it because you want to keep all of your music on a single DVD and want to avoid the hassle of changing music disks?) DVD players are expensive and without LCD its no brainer to have one in your car. Also is your i10 a magna or other?
Old 24th December 2009, 11:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Hi Ikoneer

May I ask you why you want to have a DVD player but no LCD screen at all
I will have the LCD screen in the future hence thought why not get the player first and attach the screen later.

anyway, it's all dependent on the budget. lets see.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Not much inputs in this thread. It's getting very boring to drive without music system.

Come go guys, please suggest a good ICE configuration for my i10. Budget about 30K-40k
Old 25th January 2010, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

1. All HU's (other than a couple of very high end ones) have in-built amps suitable for normal listening. External amps make the listening experience better, since they can go lower and louder without distorting. Avoid a DVD HU unless you really intend to see movies in the car. Any CD/MP3 HU will do, and there is a wide range based on built-in extra features such as USB port, Aux-in port, Bluetooth support etc. Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Clarion, ...

2. Put 6.5" components in the stock locations in the front door. JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Alpine, Hertz, Bull, ...

3. You can either put 6.5" 2-way round coaxials in the stock location in the rear door, or put oval 6x9 2 or 3 way coaxials on an MDF plank that would replace the parcel shelf. 6x9 would give you a feeling of bass, since you want to avoid a subwoofer. Again, choice of makes as above

Be sure to listen to the speakers before you take a buying decision - they vary in how they sound, and a couple of them you will like more than the others
Old 25th January 2010, 12:51   #8
BHPian

Ignore the DVD bit right now. Watching movies in a small hatch isnt really a good idea anyway.

Next, get a good sounding HU with all other features - Aux/USB/BT and the likes. Budget for around 10k for this.
Look at the HU which has good RMS output, which should help you from not having to buy the amp as well.
Most HUs have 15W RMS but some good ones have 22W ! I use the Kenwood Excelon x993, although it was sourced from the US.
Look at Kenwood/Pioneer/Blaupunkt models.

Next, get good 6.5 compos in the front. DerAlte has suggested the brands you could look into.
Set aside 6k for this.

Then, if you are not too much into heavy bass, ignore the sub (since you are not getting an amp).. and get a good pair of 6*9s.
JBL/Alpine/JL Audio and others are the ones you can look at. J
BL GTO series are the most famous ones here, but I did find the JL Audio better/cleaner here although the cost would go up a bit. Budget 4-5k here.

There - you are set at 20k with a good and clean setup.

Last edited by jigbarai : 25th January 2010 at 12:53.
Old 25th January 2010, 15:44   #9
BHPian

Thank You for the inputs DerAlte and Jigbarai.

Let me skip the DVD player idea and look at a good HU without DVD.

What will be the options for Amp and Sub, considering this will be a onetime expnse for couple of years, like to get the full install done so that need not touch again.

my only constraint with an amp/sub is that it will eat up the small space. Is there any models of small yet powerful amp/subs that does the job.

i can stretch the budget for a good install.

I will also start doing the auditioning for the speakers.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Thank You for the inputs DerAlte and Jigbarai.

Let me skip the DVD player idea and look at a good HU without DVD.

What will be the options for Amp and Sub, considering this will be a onetime expnse for couple of years, like to get the full install done so that need not touch again.

my only constraint with an amp/sub is that it will eat up the small space. Is there any models of small yet powerful amp/subs that does the job.

i can stretch the budget for a good install.

I will also start doing the auditioning for the speakers.
Skipping DVD for a good Sounding HU is a good move.
Not many DVD HU's are SQ-oriented, you know
HU - try the Kenny 6539 - you ll be getting it for 9K - the best in local market with TA under 10K
Or try sourcing a 785USB or Kenwood X693 - you can get it for just under 8.5K from US
Budget: 8K - 10K

You could do with a Compact 4-Ch Amp or 2 Ch Amp + 8" or 10" Sub with 0.5-0.75 cu.ft of enclosure. This should'nt eat more than 35% of your Boot Space

Point is Compact Subs ar hard to find- atleast in Chennai.
You could opt for Polk Db Series - Although not an out of the world product - is decent enough for good music and most importantly comes in 8" also.
You also get Alpine, JVC, JL Audio subs in 10" size (in chennai, i mean)
You could also get in touch with direct distributors and opt for GroundZero, Image Dynamics subs in 10" size (Price may be bit higher on ID's)
Average Budget bracket would be from 3500 - 8500 (Depending on Size and Brand)

Amps - you can opt for a a 4Ch - with two channels for front compos and bridged one for the Sub.
Can have a Look at Blaupunkt, GZ, JBL, Pioneer, Alpine etc..
Around 6K-12K

Assuming You get a good pair of rear 6.5" Coaxes (tyhaty will be driven by HU) - 2K-3K

Front Components - 4K-6K

Wiring and Install - 1K - 3K (Depending on your wires and Amp kits)

Total Should be just under 30K

Last edited by Mi10 : 25th January 2010 at 16:27.
Old 26th January 2010, 13:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Skipping DVD for a good Sounding HU is a good move.
Total Should be just under 30K
That's wonderful mi10. you have covered all the aspects.
Let me do some searching with the inputs provided and will come out with my finding.

Planning to source from singapore if it works out cheaper than chennai. US could be difficult as my friends just went back.

Where can i get good audition in chennai - radio warehouse, haute car zone?, where else?
Old 20th March 2010, 18:12   #12
BHPian

Hi ikoneer - did you finally buy ICE? What did you settle for in the end?
Old 21st March 2010, 21:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Hi ikoneer - did you finally buy ICE? What did you settle for in the end?
Am in the process of finalizing the ICE with the help of fellow bhp'ns. Hopefully, everything should be organized and installed this week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks