Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 22:33   #1

My DIY Amp Wiring

Hi Gurus,

I had a sony head unit with xplod oval rear speakers for my santro xing. I wanted a moderate amp for my system and choose to have sony xplod 350w 2ch amp. I purchased it from S.P Road Bangalore and also copper OFC cable for speaker wiring. In the below image you could see the OFC cable connected to speaker clips. I also purchased RCA cable to connect amp with the head unit and managed to lay out the wire myself by borrowing spanner from a near by workshop to open plastic body cover in the boot area.

My DIY Amp Wiring-19122009141.jpg
My DIY Amp Wiring-19122009143.jpg

The amp spec says to connect the power cable with atleast 14Gauge/2mm wire, and also to have a 30A fuse in the near proximity of battery. This is where I am bit confused and need your help.

Please help me solve below issues.

1. Do I need to run a separate cable from batter to amp or I can use the existing wiring harness which connects to the stereo head unit? Does the existing power and ground wiring can withstand Ampere desire of my AMP which is rated peak 30A! I am bit afraid of using regular house power cable under the mat as I am not sure about the quality of cable coating.

2. Will there be a fuse in the fuse box of santro which I can use for powering my AMP? If not do I need to purchase some fusebox for this purpose?

3. Is it okey to connect the GND wire of the AMP to car body to a near by bolt?

4. What wire should I use to connect the remote control wire of the head unit to amp?

I have done all other wiring and paused at this stage to seek your inputs. Please help.

Thanks.
Scienty
Old 20th December 2009, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienty View Post
1. Do I need to run a separate cable from batter to amp or I can use the existing wiring harness which connects to the stereo head unit? Does the existing power and ground wiring can withstand Ampere desire of my AMP which is rated peak 30A! I am bit afraid of using regular house power cable under the mat as I am not sure about the quality of cable coating.
Yes, you need a separate wire. If you take power from the harness you will blow the radio/ acc fuse which is probably 10-15A only.

Quote:
2. Will there be a fuse in the fuse box of santro which I can use for powering my AMP? If not do I need to purchase some fusebox for this purpose?
No there won't be. You will have to look for a AGU style fuse holder, preferably with a 40A fuse. Like in this link -http://www.svhotwire.com/catalog/images/AGU%20fuse%20holder%20001.JPG

Quote:
3. Is it okey to connect the GND wire of the AMP to car body to a near by bolt?
Yes. But ideally create a new ground point. If the bolt is that of a seat or something, and if the wire is removed during work on any such part and not put back you could have trouble.

Quote:
4. What wire should I use to connect the remote control wire of the head unit to amp?
Some wire with approximately the gauge of your speaker wire or slightly lower is also fine.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 20th December 2009 at 18:57.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks