Team-BHP - Need help with ICE for my Accord - Amp help pg.3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Need help with ICE for my Accord - Amp help pg.3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/73085-need-help-ice-my-accord-amp-help-pg-3-a.html)

hey guys, i just bought an 07 facelifted v6(not that it matters in this section) accord. now the stock ice of the car is pretty bad as you guys probably know. it has 6.5" components in the front and 6x9s in the rear.

now what i want to do is to keep the stock head unit since it has the climate control display etc and looks good. i dont think this hu has any pre outs, but my normal installer was telling me of some speaker to rca cables so that amps can be connected. how will the sound quality be after keeping the stock hu? changing it is NOT an option.

i was planning on getting 2 way components in the front, 6x9s in their place on the rear shelf, and 2 subs and a monoblock and 4 channel amp. now guys please recommend what i should get. i find jbl sound a little bright but i like alpine sound alot. you can open my garage and see what ice i have in both my cars. im open to trying new brands but i dont really want too much of a mixed setup. id prefer to stick to one or 2 brands.

if you guys could give me the model numbers and approx price it would be great. my installer has offered me a 20% discount. my budget excluding damping, installation charges is 50k.

thanks alot guys.

There is a RCA module available which can be attached to the speaker wire's of the HU,but instead of combining the HU direct to the Amplifier get a decent 4band/7band EQ where you have more control over the Lows+Mids+highs,otherwise you will not be able to enjoy the sound,it will sound like a khichdi :D

Ramie

thanks ramie. what sort of equalizer are you talking about? can u send me a link to one?

also forgot to mention - i listen to mainly hip hop and house, so bass is important for me.

guys how are the alpine spr 6.5" component speakers?

what do you think about adding this signal processor to the head unit?
AudioControl LC6i 6-channel line output converter for adding outboard amps to your factory audio system at Crutchfield Signature

i have one more query. what is the difference in sound if i run something at 2ohm or at 4 ohms?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1668837)
07 accord. now the stock ice of the car is pretty bad as you guys probably know. it has 6.5" components in the front and 6x9s in the rear.

now what i want to do is to keep the stock head unit...i dont think this hu has any pre outs, but my normal installer was telling me of some speaker to rca cables so that amps can be connected. how will the sound quality be after keeping the stock hu?

i was planning on getting 2 way components in the front, 6x9s in their place on the rear shelf, and 2 subs and a monoblock and 4 channel amp. now guys please recommend what i should get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1670830)

Most amps have speaker level inputs and level (gain) knobs. I think that unless there are some specific needs (for example using this to reduce noise in a RF 360.2) you dont need this if the amps you are getting have speaker level inputs and gain controls.

Instead a unit like the Alpine PXE H650 will help matters better. The Alpine offers little user control but for 3 out of 4 users it is quite adequate, besides it is quite easily available (compared to other similar products in India).

For the sub you can consider something like this (the pic is of a corvette but a good instalelr can make something similar for your car too)
Chevrolet Corvette Stealthbox by JL Audio

Akshay in addition to what Ramie and Navin has mentioned, stock headunits are calibrated/EQ'd in a way to sound the best with the stock speakers they come with. With addition to aftermarket speakers and to run along with thr stock HU, i suggest to add either a simple EQ or a sound processor. For instance I had used Kicker EQ, that way I had control over the front and rear speakers along with the sub and control over the sound with 9 gr.eq.
Change the front comps and you could probably stick to present 6x9 rears if they are in good state and use to just as fillers to your front stage. Once you decide on this, after which you can decide what comps,subs and amps to add.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 1671620)
Instead a unit like the Alpine PXE H650 will help matters better. The Alpine offers little user control but for 3 out of 4 users it is quite adequate, besides it is quite easily available (compared to other similar products in India).

Navin,

Any idea where this is available in India?. Anyone in teambhp deals with these products that you know of?. Also let me know the approximate price if you are aware. I currently own a JVC AVX44 and wanted something like this H650 to make my music sound better.

Thank you.

an update - i might not get the ice done very soon. i want to spend a little time and collect the stuff. i have ordered alpine type r 6.5" components for the front and type r 6x9s for the rear shelf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 1671620)
Most amps have speaker level inputs and level (gain) knobs. I think that unless there are some specific needs (for example using this to reduce noise in a RF 360.2) you dont need this if the amps you are getting have speaker level inputs and gain controls.

For the sub you can consider something like this (the pic is of a corvette but a good instalelr can make something similar for your car too)
Chevrolet Corvette Stealthbox by JL Audio

thanks alot for the reply. that alpine thing is pretty expensive, so is the rf. i dont need extra high sq or anything, i just dont want khichdi like ramie mentioned. for that do you think the audiocontrol unit would be fine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invinsible (Post 1671686)
Akshay in addition to what Ramie and Navin has mentioned, stock headunits are calibrated/EQ'd in a way to sound the best with the stock speakers they come with. With addition to aftermarket speakers and to run along with thr stock HU, i suggest to add either a simple EQ or a sound processor. For instance I had used Kicker EQ, that way I had control over the front and rear speakers along with the sub and control over the sound with 9 gr.eq.
Change the front comps and you could probably stick to present 6x9 rears if they are in good state and use to just as fillers to your front stage. Once you decide on this, after which you can decide what comps,subs and amps to add.

thats what i thought. so what do you recommend? something like a jl cleansweep? or the audiocontrol thing i mentioned above? how much would a kicker eq run for?

also another question. what is the difference in sound between 2ohm and 4ohm amps and subs? the only difference i can make out is that in some cases in amps the power with 4ohms is less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr (Post 1671730)
Any idea where this is available in India.

Alpine India might have it. I've seen too many pieces of it for it to be just an import.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1671784)
thanks alot for the reply. that alpine thing is pretty expensive, so is the rf. i dont need extra high sq or anything, i just dont want khichdi like ramie mentioned.

also another question. what is the difference in sound between 2ohm and 4ohm amps and subs? the only difference i can make out is that in some cases in amps the power with 4ohms is less.

If your amps have speaker level inputs and gain controls the Audio Control unit you linked is not required. Then your install is even simpler.

The RF/Alpine units offer you Time alignment and will re-equallise the car to suit your current speakers instead of OEM speakers. However the pre=programmed settings they have are limited. They do not offer much user control.

Get a subwoofer that your amp can handle. A 2 ohm subwoofer needs an amp that can deliver more current (mostly monoblocks).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invinsible (Post 1671686)
With addition to aftermarket speakers and to run along with thr stock HU, i suggest to add either a simple EQ or a sound processor. For instance I had used Kicker EQ, that way I had control over the front and rear speakers along with the sub and control over the sound with 9 gr.eq.

And how did you know which frequencies to boost/ cut in order to overcome the equalization of the OEM head unit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1671784)
thats what i thought. so what do you recommend? something like a jl cleansweep? or the audiocontrol thing i mentioned above? how much would a kicker eq run for?

If you're not looking at anything high-end, get something like the RF 360.1. It cancels the OEM HU's equalization, and is cheaper since it does not have features like Time Alignment.

Another option, and usually the cheapest and most effective, is to get a second head unit installed at the bottom on the dash with a dash kit. The OEM HU can be connected to this HU as an AUX device.

RF360.2 should work great and would be the ideal choice. Look around on ebay.com, should get it for around 300$ or so. There is thread where 360.2 has been discussed extensively. Having TA feature will deffinately making a difference. There are many options that can be done. RF360 will also enable you too play the individual drivers with active xover.

Ajay@ I just used the kicker mainly to get 3 individual output i.e for front, rear & sub. I could control the fader on front & rear at the same time had sub vol control too. 9 gr.eq was not my primary need. Though it may not be very accurate, but at some part I trust my ears as too what sound i wanted to hear.
What freq. to cut or boost can only be known once an RTA is done and i wasnt expecting much out of the stock HU. Things would be different if I get EQ for each individual channel with atleast good 30 band and run the RTA in order to get best possible result.

But, at that time i wanted things to be more simpler and kicker EQ helped a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 1672006)
Alpine India might have it. I've seen too many pieces of it for it to be just an import.

If your amps have speaker level inputs and gain controls the Audio Control unit you linked is not required. Then your install is even simpler.

The RF/Alpine units offer you Time alignment and will re-equallise the car to suit your current speakers instead of OEM speakers. However the pre=programmed settings they have are limited. They do not offer much user control.

Get a subwoofer that your amp can handle. A 2 ohm subwoofer needs an amp that can deliver more current (mostly monoblocks).

im thinking of getting a full alpine setup. maybe a pda 4.100 (??) for the speakers. and around a 400w rms sub, and a monoblock to go along with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 1672210)
And how did you know which frequencies to boost/ cut in order to overcome the equalization of the OEM head unit?

If you're not looking at anything high-end, get something like the RF 360.1. It cancels the OEM HU's equalization, and is cheaper since it does not have features like Time Alignment.

Another option, and usually the cheapest and most effective, is to get a second head unit installed at the bottom on the dash with a dash kit. The OEM HU can be connected to this HU as an AUX device.

i dont want to clutter the dash and install another hu even though there is a dash kit. im not looking at anything high end, like a said, ive ordered alpine type r components and ovals. dosent the audio control and the rf do the same thing? i.e cancel the oem hu's eq? except the audio control is half the price of the rf.

Akshay Audiocontrol LC6i is line output convertor which would basically give out high voltage 6 channel output, in a way clean out if there is any noise present, something more like what Headunit gives out 4v, 6v, 8v output.

RF360.2 on the other hand gives out 5v preout plus you get TA and EQ upto 30 band for individual channel, plus it has active xover which can do 2 way front, sub and center channel or can do front, rear, sub and center channel in passive. Overall RF360.2 is much better deal than just LC6i. You should get a good price on ebay.

Reg the amp I would'nt suggest the Alpine PDX series amp. These are full range Class D and it seems there are many user who posted their feedback as not so good. They tend to carry some noise, aren't as clean as the Class AB amp, produces very flat sound with not much of depth. Since you looking at Alpine the best I would say is get an Alpine Vpower amp, they are much cleaner, are slightly under rated which is good. Also the Alpine Vpower mono are good clean powerful amps in their price range.
You might save little $$$ if you choose the Vpower amps and put the difference to get the RF360.2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1672648)
im thinking of getting a full alpine setup.
pda 4.100 (??)
i dont want to clutter the dash
ive ordered alpine type r components and ovals.

the audio control unit does nothing to the OEM HU's EQ settings. The RF 360.1 360.2 and Alpine 650 adjust the eq for the car to suit teh current speakers. the 360.1 does not have TA the other 2 have. neither of the 3 need be visible once set they can be tucked away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invinsible (Post 1672702)
RF360.2 on the other hand gives out 5v preout plus you get TA and EQ upto 30 band for individual channel, plus it has active xover which can do 2 way front, sub and center channel or can do front, rear, sub and center channel in passive.

Exactly the Alpine to does all of this. However the 360.2 offers some user control the Alpine very little (just 4 pre-set curves). But with a little smartness (B&T aka Ajay can elaborate) one can get the sound (tonal balance) what one is looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 1672210)

Could you please suggest where a dash kit can be purchased from, and what is the approximate cost? What's the finish like, is it available in the same walnut finish of the compartment that will be removed to install the kit?

I have seen a few of these kits that have been made as DIY by installers, but the quality and finish left a lot to be desired.