Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Sony home speakers in car ? | Help

Hi Gurus,

Need your advice on a setup that i am thinking to do. Its been an year now since i got the below mentioned setup done at "Driven"
I have the following ICE setup in my UVA:-

1. HU :- Pioneer 6050
2. bull audio cs 650.75 6.5" component - Front Door - They sound awsome.

I am looking forward to put in a amp with speakers for rear end.
Now here comes the query. I have a sony 2000W system at home which is lying idle. The speakers are powerful and move the home windows.

Can i get these speakers to work in the car with an amp and other mods (if any). I am sure these will perform good if used with original box.

I am attaching the snaps of the speakers for a quick view.

All your suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Regards,
Ujjwal
Attached Thumbnails
Sony home speakers in car ? | Help-090110_1156.jpg  

Sony home speakers in car ? | Help-090110_1159.jpg  

Last edited by rapidsnail : 9th January 2010 at 12:32. Reason: cosmetic
Old 9th January 2010, 17:11   #2
BHPian

Go for it! They'll work fine...

Hi Ujjwal, I have been running home audio speakers in my car for quite a few years now and they are Sony boxes. They sound really great!

Check out my thread for complete details...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...s-car-yes.html

You'll need a good amp or two to power the speakers for best performance.

Last edited by hotstuff : 9th January 2010 at 17:13.
Old 9th January 2010, 20:27   #3
BHPian

Thanks Hotstuff.

Your and mine requirements are just the same. Can you beat that, i never searched thinking that who on earth would do that. And i am wrong !

Team-BHP rocks !

I'll keep you posted on my progress. another DIY on the way..
Old 9th January 2010, 20:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

why not?

car HUs and amps can put out 4 ohms;home audio is typically 6-8 ohms.So no problem.

The only thing you need to check is the RMS output of the amp should be approx the same as the rms output of your home audio to get the best out of the speakers
Old 10th January 2010, 09:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you want to use just for the heck of it, you can.

Otherwise, its altogether an absurd idea.
Old 10th January 2010, 09:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsnail View Post
Hi Gurus,

Need your advice on a setup that i am thinking to do. Its been an year now since i got the below mentioned setup done at "Driven"
I have the following ICE setup in my UVA:-

1. HU :- Pioneer 6050
2. bull audio cs 650.75 6.5" component - Front Door - They sound awsome.

I am looking forward to put in a amp with speakers for rear end.
Now here comes the query. I have a sony 2000W system at home which is lying idle. The speakers are powerful and move the home windows.

Can i get these speakers to work in the car with an amp and other mods (if any). I am sure these will perform good if used with original box.

I am attaching the snaps of the speakers for a quick view.

All your suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Regards,
Ujjwal
Hey its MHC v40 with VACS 2000 watts.I also have this model and man that speakers with woofers sound just the best. You must have bought it sometime near the year 2000. It had a very good spectrum. We retired it a year ago and stored it very well in the current SONY MS package.

If you want to plonk it in your car then be sure to wire it correctly to your car amplifier and also set the frequency of wattage compatible with your car otherwise it will blow up your car's windows .
Old 10th January 2010, 10:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
If you want to plonk it in your car then be sure to wire it correctly to your car amplifier and also set the frequency of wattage compatible with your car otherwise it will blow up your car's windows .
true about the wiring part;but windows blowing up?????don't think that can happen for the given rms
Old 10th January 2010, 20:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have a sony 2000W system at home which is lying idle. The speakers are powerful and move the home windows. ...
The "2000W" part is a marketing gimmick. If you test it, you will find that it will blow it's guts at much less than 200W actually - and will be shrieking like a banshee at that.

Due to various factors, such systems might sound OK at home but rather insipid in the car. First and foremost, the speakers are likely to be 8 ohms or more, and fed from the HU or even an amp, will never rival speakers meant for car audio. Quite a few people have tried it - but it has always been for stop-gap arrangements.

And your house windows were rattling because they were loose, not because your "2000W" system was generating high-pressure waves. Most decent 2.1 PC speakers (with sub) can also do the same at loud volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
... be sure to wire it correctly to your car amplifier and also set the frequency of wattage compatible with your car otherwise it will blow up your car's windows ...
LOL Very creatively written!

What is "frequency of wattage" and how is it compatible / incompatible with the car?
Old 10th January 2010, 21:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The "2000W" part is a marketing gimmick. If you test it, you will find that it will blow it's guts at much less than 200W actually - and will be shrieking like a banshee at that.

Due to various factors, such systems might sound OK at home but rather insipid in the car. First and foremost, the speakers are likely to be 8 ohms or more, and fed from the HU or even an amp, will never rival speakers meant for car audio. Quite a few people have tried it - but it has always been for stop-gap arrangements.

And your house windows were rattling because they were loose, not because your "2000W" system was generating high-pressure waves. Most decent 2.1 PC speakers (with sub) can also do the same at loud volumes.

What is "frequency of wattage" and how is it compatible / incompatible with the car?
As per your post the 2000w is the PMPO (Peak Music Power Output) of the MS through speakers. It is the highest level of output reached at the time of testing(before the cone got blasted, for sure). One can never reach that level( I myself tried it once and ruined the system by damaging the output IC).
The speakers made for the purpose of household use can never be fully successful in the car as they are not made to withstand those bumps and heat as compared to car audio speakers and also they are very scared of those revs and high speeds.

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th January 2010 at 21:14.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The "2000W" part is a marketing gimmick.
I agree

If you test it, you will find that it will blow it's guts at much less than 200W actually - and will be shrieking like a banshee at that.
I checked, Its 75W RMS (each box)

Due to various factors, such systems might sound OK at home but rather insipid in the car. First and foremost, the speakers are likely to be 8 ohms or more, and fed from the HU or even an amp, will never rival speakers meant for car audio.
Min are 6 ohms. I just checked

Quite a few people have tried it - but it has always been for stop-gap arrangements.
Just giving a try

Thats explains

So as of now, following is the technical specs i can find online of the speakers

1. Front (installed) :- Bull Audio 650.75 6.5" Component Speakers
Peak Power Handling: 100 Watts
Power Rating: 50 Watts RMS
Minimum Amplifier Power: 20 Watts RMS
Sensitivity: 89dB 1W/1m
Frequency Response: 55 Hz - 22 KHz
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Slope: 2 x 6 dB
Crossover Frequency: 5.500 Hz

2. Rear:- Sony Speakers (150 watts RMS (75 watts per speaker), 6 ohms)
Speaker system : 2-way, bass-reflex type
Woofer : 5" , cone type
Tweeter : 3.5 ", cone type
Nominal impedance : 6 ohms
Dimensions (w/h/d) : Approx. 215 x 325 x 275 mm
Mass : Approx. 4 kg net per speaker

3. HU Pioneer 6050

Task on hand
I need a amp to power front as well as new rear speakers.
I am totally a naive in this job, so wold appreciate if any suggestions are given.

I read that "Hotstuff" used sony XM222 and Sony XM502Z. Can i buy just One amp and connect all four speakers with the specs given above?

pour in your suggestions.

EDIT:- Backup Plan. If the things doesnt work, i would keep the amp and get another set of Bull 6.5/ JBL for rear.

Last edited by rapidsnail : 10th January 2010 at 21:49.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

i believer the MHC GX 2000 is rated at 130 W RMS
Old 12th January 2010, 20:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So as of now, following is the technical specs i can find online of the speakers

1. Front (installed) :- Bull Audio 650.75 6.5" Component Speakers
Peak Power Handling: 100 Watts
Power Rating: 50 Watts RMS
Minimum Amplifier Power: 20 Watts RMS
Sensitivity: 89dB 1W/1m
Frequency Response: 55 Hz - 22 KHz
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Slope: 2 x 6 dB
Crossover Frequency: 5.500 Hz

2. Rear:- Sony Speakers (150 watts RMS (75 watts per speaker), 6 ohms)
Speaker system : 2-way, bass-reflex type
Woofer : 5" , cone type
Tweeter : 3.5 ", cone type
Nominal impedance : 6 ohms
Dimensions (w/h/d) : Approx. 215 x 325 x 275 mm
Mass : Approx. 4 kg net per speaker
Please don't put home audio speakers with 5" woofers in a car. A sheer waste of time and energy IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks