Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2005, 21:47   #256
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Let me translate this for my old man, Navin.

"I am happy after passing gas, imagine what will happen when it is heard?"
great one there ..really love ur sence of humour..damn when are u coming back to bangy sam,it seems so boring after the fun we have had when u were here !!!! i think its high time i make another quote with ur famous 1 liners..
and btw yaar i ought thank u for introducing me to ur fantastic JBL team who made it possible for me to get my setup right..and also how can i forget the fun we had during the VY...can never forget that ever..
PS: hey btw did i tell u that v1p3r gave JB a bangalore special farewell in my zen just like the way psycho gave u one in his esteem..its high time i give u a farewell too like the demo i gave u that day lol !!! so get here soon..
Old 19th October 2005, 22:16   #257
BANNED

here is a pic of the HU in the dark..aseem if ur reading this the HU does have a dimmer option which on turning the headlamps on dims the lighting effect on the HU to a great extent..one can even dim the brightness apart from this setting too..and trust me its not distracting at all once these two things are taken care off..

here is a pic of the door speaker enclosure being damped with the wurth damping pads without the mid range in place:

here is another pic of the door pad damped with the mid-range in place:

here is an overall view of the door with the damping in place:

Old 19th October 2005, 22:43   #258
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
ok, mclaren i have still a few worries.

1. those coax drivers may have polarised caps. I would change them to non polar ones from DEC or CTR.
2. the 10" woofer might modualte the cone of the coax. I would isolate the coax cone from the 10".
3. the box of the 10" woofer should be made using non parallel surfaces.
4. I would use resin bonded fiberglass to stiffen the rear parcel tray. resin bonded fiberglass does not add much weight.

BTW I have heard about JB and autopsyche in Mumbai and that is why their work on the Sonata did not surpise me. I expect very high standards from guys like these 2.
hey navin really appreciate ur concern but let me atleast enjoy this setup for a few days my man..maybe then i can get into the DIY stuff..
and btw u really wont believe how close the cone of the coax is to the sub,its actually touching the sealed box lightly..its only because the boot space of zen it too tiny and we couldnt do anything..

well initially the sealed enclosure was going to be made using non parallel surfaces,but the space constraint in the boot made it impossible to use such a box..so the cubical box was the best option i had as u can see even this fits in with great difficulty..imagine what would have happened if one side was slanting then the box volumes would have gone all wrong..

and about the using of resin bonded fibreglass navin i will post the pics of the distance btwn the sub box and the cone of the coax..u can see how little it is..so using another layer for support is just not feicible..

and most importantly the sub has been wired in series at 8 ohms so the amp is delivering only 100W to the sub as the amp might not be that stable at 2 ohms..imagine how it would sound if it was being driven to its optimum level..so ur inputs or any suggestions folks..

PS: pls feel free to give any drawbacks that u find so that it can help me better to make my setup sound the best...
Old 19th October 2005, 23:11   #259
Team-BHP Support

mclaren, the sub does not have to face up. it could face the rear and have been a wide box streching across the width of the car and tapered. something like this....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jZlCPOJ...0&I=044T1012SS
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jZlCPOJ...0&I=044T6510SS

the 450 should be able to handle 2 ohm esp if it only 1 channel that is being driven so hard.
Old 19th October 2005, 23:35   #260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
mclaren, the sub does not have to face up. it could face the rear and have been a wide box streching across the width of the car and tapered. something like this....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jZlCPOJ...0&I=044T1012SS
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jZlCPOJ...0&I=044T6510SS

the 450 should be able to handle 2 ohm esp if it only 1 channel that is being driven so hard.
well thanks a lot navin for those links..actually our initial plan was to use such a sealed box and make the sub face the boot door but as i quoted the boot space wasnt big enough..one more reason why we decided that the sub be facing upwards is the quality on the marutis is real bad..so facing a sub towards the boot door would cause extreme rattling because of the poor quality and extensive use of damping materials to deaden the sound which would again increase the cost factor by a minimum of another 4-5k..saw the same on a swift but that too sounded really bad as the damping did too little to dampen the sound..that bad is the quality thats up with the MUL guys..

well ya i too was planning to wire the 5th ch of the 450 at 2 ohms to drive the sub only but JB was against it..so lets wait to hear from him as to why he choose to do so...any other inputs my man..really love to see ur keen sence of investigative nature...pls feel free to provide any further inputs too as and when u come across...thanks..
Old 19th October 2005, 23:44   #261
BHPian

the alpine 450 can drive the 5th sub channel at 2 ohms and in my opinion - driving the sub at 8 ohms is fine if you're not looking to get that bump in your ride. i would have done a 2 ohm set up and turned down the gains on the amp to help keep panel rattle to a minimum.
Old 19th October 2005, 23:47   #262
BHPian

the 450 is no longer available - they don't make it any more!
Old 19th October 2005, 23:48   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrani
the alpine 450 can drive the 5th sub channel at 2 ohms and in my opinion - driving the sub at 8 ohms is fine if you're not looking to get that bump in your ride. i would have done a 2 ohm set up and turned down the gains on the amp to help keep panel rattle to a minimum.

hhhmm..now that name sounds very familiar..is it the great deepak asrani by any chance..if it is then ur just in the right forum my man..
Old 19th October 2005, 23:51   #264
BHPian

yes, it is deepak asrani and not "great" - i do this for a living and enjoy every moment of doing the thing i do best.
Old 19th October 2005, 23:54   #265
BANNED

Quote:
yes, it is deepak asrani and not "great" - i do this for a living and enjoy every moment of doing the thing i do best.
hey deepak welcome to the forum!!! im sure ul love it out here..hey bhpians here we have another audio guru in our lineup..whhoow looks like we are getting luckier day by day...and btw dan great setup u got there on the polk palio..will be posting pics shortly about the entire vahaan yatra trip..im sure all our ICE fans will love ur installs..
Old 19th October 2005, 23:55   #266
Team-BHP Support

Mr. Asrani. How do you they dont make the 450. I want one! :-( bad! My stereo is starving for one! the only reason i dont got one is i cant afford 25k. if it was less i'd jump at it.

Last edited by navin : 19th October 2005 at 23:56.
Old 20th October 2005, 00:07   #267
BANNED

hey dan it was a real pleasure meeting u and getting to know u over the past few days..so having had a personal experience of listening to my car what are ur views regarding my setup..any criticism and fine tuning points for the setup recommended by u ???
as u see this forum is all about sharing each others views and helping out each other through all times...so would love to hear everyones comments be it constructive or critic..
Old 20th October 2005, 00:19   #268
BHPian

the 450 is a 2003 model carried over in the 2004 line up and as far as i know the 2005 catlaog does not have the 450 listed in it. for the year 2005 they only have 2 - 4 channel models - the 345 and 545.
Old 20th October 2005, 01:10   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Deepak, great to have you here.

While the Alpine site and manual are a bit sketchy on this, the Crutchfield site clearly states "Note: Minimum impedance for channels 1-4 is 2-ohms stereo. Minimum impedance for the mono channel is 4-ohms."
This was also confirmed by a Alpine tech rep from Japan during a tech training session held in Delhi.

Also, we have tried running this amps sub channel at 2 ohms but it would shut down when driven hard.

BTW the alpine website still has the 450 listed as a current model.

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...y=40&p_main=10

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KuFxFjT...500MRVF450#Tab
Old 20th October 2005, 03:01   #270
Senior - BHPian

Just makes me wonder why we had the hue and cry when I had mentioned previously that most 4 channel, 2 channel, Class A/B amps are stable in 4 ohm mono and 2 ohm stereo load....

However great setup Mc Laren.... I am sure you are tooo excited. Now begins the tough part.... to begin to enjoy your system and resist upgrades. I know I am having a hard time not resisting adding more

Last edited by aseem : 20th October 2005 at 03:02.

Most Viewed