Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2005, 01:31   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

forgive me for my ignorance sam but whts the difference between co-axials and components..and how do comps give better effect..i know im dumb just 21 yrs,also could u mention the prices of the coaxials and the comps so that i know what the dealers are offering me is fair or not..
Old 3rd September 2005, 08:29   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh thats no reason to call yourself dumb!
Its quite simple really, a single speaker with a tweeter/midrange or both built onto the same body, (the same axis really) as the woofer (The most most common sight in car audio speakers) is called co-axial, multiaxial or multielement composite speakers. 2 way 3 way and so on.

Component speakers, on the other hand comprise of dedicated speakers for dedicated jobs. They are sold in sets. The most common components available will comprise of a set of midrange or mid bass driver, a crossover and a dedicated tweeter. They sound better, are built better, provide better convenience of placements and are more expensive.
I can give you JBL prices no problem
4" = no components. only coaxial
GTO426e - Rs 2500/-,
5.25" - Co-axial:
GTo526e- Rs 3250/-, CS 205 - Rs 2750/-
Component: GTO506Ce - Rs 5500/-

6" - Triaxial
GTO636e - Rs 3990/-
CS265 - Rs3250/-

component GTO606Ce - Rs 6000/-

These prices include all taxes and it xomes with warranty and bill. Insist on a bill. This assures you after sales service and the genuineness of the product you have purchased.
Old 3rd September 2005, 08:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
forgive me for my ignorance sam but whts the difference between co-axials and components..and how do comps give better effect..i know im dumb just 21 yrs,also could u mention the prices of the coaxials and the comps so that i know what the dealers are offering me is fair or not..
One cant be stupid just caz he is 21. I know many stupids that are older than that. Many people think the same of me till date . I am just a more experienced stupid.
To add to Sam's advise, the price of JBL 505E is 5.5k with bill and warranty. Just to throw some more options Try listening to other brands as well in the same range. Boston FS 50, Alpine's, Sony (forgive me Sam, couldnt resist the Sony ).
Always trust Sam and Navin, most of all trust your ears!
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:14   #19
BANNED

hey thanks a lot sam and aseem for pointing out the difference between coaxials and components..boy with experts like u all around there is so much knowledge we could grasp about all the stuff we really love but cant afford to learn about(partly bcoz of my ongoing education and parents not wanting me to learn about what can be done to a tin moving on 4 wheels,its just studies and studies for them!!)...hope in the next few years u all teach me with enough knowledge so that later i can impress my kids talking to them about these stuff ..
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:21   #20
BHPian

Midrange

Dear Guys ,

What freq qualifies for midrange and woofer

Pioneer Pro series claims 30 HZ even for Coax as the min Freq. Does that mean I do not require SUB for that added bass( assuming I do not want boom boom bass)
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Generally most speakers are optimized for frequencies above 60 Hz. Even if a speaker is capable of producing notes below the 60 Hz frequency, it wont have the same linear graph of producing optimum sound at that frequency.

Say the speakers output at 20Hz would be : 5
Speakers output at 40 Hz would be : 10
Speakers output at 60 Hz and above would be : 20
Speakers output at 100 Hz and so on: 20

I hope you are getting the point!

So even if it can theoritically support playing frequencies till 20 Hz, it wont be optimized for playing them. Bass requires a lot of power, much more than whats needed for the higher frequencies. So you would have to go in for an amplifier to power the speakers. However the speaker would have an RMS of around 100 Watts as opposed to most subs that have an RMS of 200 watts and upwards. So you wont be able to drive them as much as you can drive the sub even if they had the same output throughout their frequency band.
In short, a cheap sub would produce 5 times as much bass than your speakers!

Last edited by aseem : 3rd September 2005 at 09:31.
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:28   #22
BANNED

hey sam just another input i need from u..which sub are u using in your lancer..had read in some post quite a while back but cant remember which one..pls shed ur light on this..
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey sam just another input i need from u..which sub are u using in your lancer..had read in some post quite a while back but cant remember which one..pls shed ur light on this..
While we wait for Sam's response, to the best of my knowledge he is using the JBL CS 1200 T tube in his lancer. He will be going for JBL GTO 1000B once his Swift arrives
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:48   #24
BANNED

hey guys do u think 1000B,1200B and the other subs from jbl will fit in the zen..i mean i already have a tray on which my rears are mounted..so dont want to buy a sub and then find out its too big..by the way will the thumps from the sub lead to the tray jumping around..
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey guys do u think 1000B,1200B and the other subs from jbl will fit in the zen..i mean i already have a tray on which my rears are mounted..so dont want to buy a sub and then find out its too big..by the way will the thumps from the sub lead to the tray jumping around..
McLaren you would need 250 Watts RMS from your amplifier to drive 1000B and 1200B to their potential. A lower powered amplifier would clip in order to power such subwoofers.
JBL CS 1200 T on the contrary requires 150 Watts RMS which most budget amplifiers provide. Its a 12 " tube and would fit in your Zen, however will take all the trunk space. So depending on your budget you can go for either.
However make sure that JBL CS 1200 T is removable if you do choose to install it, so that you can take it off in long trips. I am going for JBL CS 1200 T for my Swift and if it can fit a Swift, it can fit a Zen. The reason I am going for the tube is that I do not have the budget to go for a high powered amp to drie the JBL 1000B or 1200 B. Although I would have loved to go for them as they eat up lot less space.
You can also consider mounting the woofer on the tray itself. I have a Pioneer sub in my Esteem which is mounted on the tray. This setup saves plenty of space and bass is respectable. The trunk acts like a huge box in my scenario.
If you are not too picky about your music and are looking for Bass and dont want to compromise on the limited space in Zen, try considering other options. Sony 122 subwoofer with a desi box will cost you around 3 k with bill and warranty. It will be a lot smaller than the tube. Take a pick!

Last edited by aseem : 3rd September 2005 at 10:01.
Old 3rd September 2005, 10:07   #26
BANNED

well aseem its true the trunk will act as a huge box but im pretty sure the tray wont be able to bear the weight of the rears and the sub..u mean to say the tube takes more space than the box type ones..and by the way isnt the cs1200t a strap on kind..i mean its kept in the hatch by strapping it to the floor with welcrove strips is it not..
Old 3rd September 2005, 22:33   #27
BANNED

hey aseem a friend of mine wants to plonk in a new system on his brand new xing..well he wants to go in for the vcd player from sony 5800 i think,sony 400w 4-ways at the back and i suggested him to go for comps in the front..so for this setup do u need an amp to drive the components and if yes will a sony 502z be enough to drive both the components and the rears..well the prob is i suggested him the same system that u all suggested me but he is pretty tight on budget as he has spent everything into buying the car..ur inputs please..
Old 3rd September 2005, 22:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey aseem a friend of mine wants to plonk in a new system on his brand new xing..well he wants to go in for the vcd player from sony 5800 i think,sony 400w 4-ways at the back and i suggested him to go for comps in the front..so for this setup do u need an amp to drive the components and if yes will a sony 502z be enough to drive both the components and the rears..well the prob is i suggested him the same system that u all suggested me but he is pretty tight on budget as he has spent everything into buying the car..ur inputs please..
Mc Laren your freind will have to make up his mind whether he wants to go for an audio system, or an audio/video system. As most audio/video systems are not good music players. So if I was your freind and wanted a basic video system for now and add state of the art audio later as I am on a budget this is what I would do:

1) Get JVC DVD player for 11k (DVD can have upto three movies and is much better than VCD's... spending 4k more gives him DVD option)
2) Get Necvox or other not so branded roof mountable 8" TFT for 4-5k
3) Get some budget front co-axials and rear ovals for 3-4k

Total budget : 18k

Always remember when investment is small, he wont mind throwing away his cheap speakers in the future once he has the budget. But if he goes for an in between system he will not be able to upgrade later.

If you freinds choice for now is mainly audio (which I doubt) than this is what I would do:

1) Get Sony 5510 for 6k
2) Get front components 5" or 6" based on the cars fitting for 5-6k
3) Add a decent budget value sub at 3k Sony 122
4) Get a 4 channel amplifier and use it to power the fronts and the sub for 4k
5) I wouldnt go for the rear speakers contrary to popular belief!

Total budget: 18k

The 502 is a subwoofer amplifier and cant drive the front speakers. It has low frequency filters that are optimized for sending low frequencies to the sub. The 504 on the other hand is a 4 channel amp which can be used to power 4 speakers, or 2 speakers and a woofer. Price difference between the 2 is 1.5k

If he later wishes to add VCD/DVD functionality to his audio system, he can get a Screen for 4k and a VCD changer for 6k. A DVD changer will cost him 10k.
Old 3rd September 2005, 23:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
While we wait for Sam's response, to the best of my knowledge he is using the JBL CS 1200 T tube in his lancer. He will be going for JBL GTO 1000B once his Swift arrives
Absolutely correct. Will be putting TWO GTO1000Bs in the swift. I'm impressed Aseem.
Old 4th September 2005, 00:01   #30
BANNED

Quote:
well aseem its true the trunk will act as a huge box but im pretty sure the tray wont be able to bear the weight of the rears and the sub..u mean to say the tube takes more space than the box type ones..and by the way isnt the cs1200t a strap on kind..i mean its kept in the hatch by strapping it to the floor with welcrove strips is it not..
sam what are ur thoughts on this..and ya aseem will find out from my friend what his primary need is audio/video..does make sense to go in for a dvd player as the vcd quality we get here is worse..well i have almost decided on my setup will post the details shortly..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks