Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:22   #121
BHPian

Navin we have used Pioneer and till date we are using it. Never had problems with the headunits till date. No problems at all. The gray market penetration of the Pioneer product will never make Pioneer come officially to India. They cannot sustain their own gray market competition.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:41   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
My point. Cant recommend Pioneer if Pioneer wont stand behind their product and offer a warranty. They expcet to make money of servicing new Pioneers by making sure the product is only available without bill and warranty. After al they have many authorised service centers in India. Lamblasting them for this level of marketing has not helped.
While Pioneer is widely misunderstood and their actions misinterpreted, let me shine a light on whats really happening...

It is really not Pioneer's fault. They understand how our market works.. How many of you would buy a 7750 with B&W for Rs 15000... Maybe a few will. But look at the majority out there who would rather buy a higher model in grey than a lower one with B&W.

Plus, Pioneer doesnt import their products in India. Our "Grey Market Operators" do!! When they buy bulk quantities from the distributors in Dubai, Thailand and Malaysia, they forfeit the warranty for a better price. Its their choice, not Pioneers. Moreover, It is up to the India Distributor to provide a service network. Not the mfr. Alpine service is provided by Supreme (not Alpine). Alpine provides back to back support to Supreme because they pay for "warranty".

Pioneer is eager to have an exclusive Authorised Distributor for Car Audio products. But there are no players that can invest that kind of money... And still have the insecurity that the products will still be available in every galli through the already established grey distribution networks. No company is that gutsy (or dumb).

So while they wait for such a player, they have gone ahead and opened service centers all across the country so that you can get good service when needed.

I have used many HUs over the years and many of them have been Pioneers. I would rate them no more or no less than Alpine in reliability. Why do you hear about more problems in Pioneers than Alpines??? Simple. Cuz for every Alpine unit out there (in India) there are at least 30 Pioneer units. So its just numbers...

Also, look at it this way. While I dont support the grey market or products available through them, you have an advantage. By not paying for warranty, you are saving at least 40% of the MRP cost. How many of you have actually had to spend this 40% on repairs / service? Very few... The rest of you save that money.

So lets stop bashing a company that makes good products. I would love to be able to buy Pioneer with B&W cuz thats the only bad thing the competition can say about them. Unfortunately, I dont see that happening soon. I hope Navinji is right and Autocop is selling Pioneer with B&W.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gunbir, i have the 9833 and i would like to knwo what problems i should expect.
While the 2004 models were still better, the 2005 are downright unreliable. Check out this thread.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/138435.html

while the 9833 is much more reliable than the current models, my point was that it is discontinued by Alpine. While it was launched for nearly 30K+, the price has been dropped now cuz they are clearing stock. And while you are a content owner, why should anyone buying a new unit today purchase a discontinued model... when there are so many better options out there.

Specifically, the one comon problem I've seen on the 9833 is that it can get stuck (CD doesnt eject) when tightened too much. And if you dont tighten it, the anti-skip doesnt work too well and there are lots of skips. Compared to the current series, this is a minor issue
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:57   #124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The gray market penetration of the Pioneer product will never make Pioneer come officially to India. They cannot sustain their own gray market competition.
ya think this as a matter of fact could be true..as we have the pioneers selling so extensively thru the gray market it would be a big risk for the company to invest in selling officially..
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:23   #125
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

holy c##p..anyone read the link below posted by gunbir..sounds like alpines in deep trouble judging by there response..
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:48   #126
Team-BHP Support

this seem to affect the 9853 and 9855 models. my 1st was guess is their glide touch. funnily the problems dont happen when their internal amp is off. makes me believe that it is a case of overheating. but this statement tells me it is their logic.

"I tried connecting both ignition wire (red) and battery wire (yellow) together to battery terminal +. Now I can leave my disc inside and off engine and it works as normal. But now I can also switch on the HU when engine is off and I will risk a flat battery if I leave it on carelessly"

this is why i stuck to my 9833 even thought i wanted to look at glide touch. see end of that link....

"I've had my 9833 for a year now and I am very very happy with it. I have yet to find a better head unit equal in price (in my opinion). I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the ejecting and Glidetouch. When I first saw them advertised I was seriously thinking about selling mine and getting the 9853. The first time I used the Glidetouch on a demo model I was very disappointed. It worked, but I expected it to have a much higher quality feel. On top of that they yanked the V-power internal amp out and put in a standard one. If you can find a 9853 NIB for sale and you have the money buy it."
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

Autocop is selling with BnW and also a 2 year free replacement warranty...but what they are selling is a 7450 for about 16-17k...so there you go .
I had bought this thru the Maruti Dealer but returned after I upgraded my system since the 7450 did not have enuf RCA o/ps..I upgraded to a 7750 too..
Maruti service is pretty good...they just took everything back and returned me the money

Last edited by Buffetfan : 22nd September 2005 at 12:58.
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:07   #128
Team-BHP Support

what is the grey market price of the 7450. 10K?

BTW I dont see the same price difference in other brands. makes me think that autocop is trying to take advantage of Pio's market share.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:09   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is the grey market price of the 7450. 10K?

BTW I dont see the same price difference in other brands. makes me think that autocop is trying to take advantage of Pio's market share.
7450 is dead in grey market I guess...it is a 2003-2004 model...of course they are trying to entice customers by providing service at home, theft insurance, ....
they also sell another model which is a bit cheaper but looks bad and does not play mp3 either...

7450 was earlier sold for 22.5k....this is the new reduced price ....7750 has all the features that 7450 has and more...the only thing better in the 7450 is the display (clarity / entertainment options [mean cartoons on display] is better...both have blue display though)
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:17   #130
Team-BHP Support

what does the 7750 sell for in grey?
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:42   #131
Senior - BHPian

9.5-10k I guess .. I paid 10k
Old 22nd September 2005, 20:16   #132
BHPian

9 Units so far Never required service except Drive belt and head

Quote:
what does the 7750 sell for in grey?
s

Got one down from Singapore ( although it says made in thiland )

for INR EQUI. 10200 ( With GSt refund)

IMHO with the maount of fuctionality built in there is no other match and I simply love the pioneer reliability of reading any CD. ( my own personal 9th unit from 1998)
Although first time using it in India.

Pionner is Good for consufer like me who are not die hard audio buffs but still apprciate good things.
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:43   #133
Team-BHP Support

you bought 9 pios in 7 years. i use a 1987 alpine 7385. when i bought it i got a spare head and pinch roller. still found no need for them.
Old 23rd September 2005, 00:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
While Pioneer is widely misunderstood and their actions misinterpreted, let me shine a light on whats really happening...

It is really not Pioneer's fault. They understand how our market works.. How many of you would buy a 7750 with B&W for Rs 15000... Maybe a few will. But look at the majority out there who would rather buy a higher model in grey than a lower one with B&W.

Plus, Pioneer doesnt import their products in India. Our "Grey Market Operators" do!! When they buy bulk quantities from the distributors in Dubai, Thailand and Malaysia, they forfeit the warranty for a better price. Its their choice, not Pioneers. Moreover, It is up to the India Distributor to provide a service network. Not the mfr. Alpine service is provided by Supreme (not Alpine). Alpine provides back to back support to Supreme because they pay for "warranty".

Pioneer is eager to have an exclusive Authorised Distributor for Car Audio products. But there are no players that can invest that kind of money... And still have the insecurity that the products will still be available in every galli through the already established grey distribution networks. No company is that gutsy (or dumb).

So while they wait for such a player, they have gone ahead and opened service centers all across the country so that you can get good service when needed.

I have used many HUs over the years and many of them have been Pioneers. I would rate them no more or no less than Alpine in reliability. Why do you hear about more problems in Pioneers than Alpines??? Simple. Cuz for every Alpine unit out there (in India) there are at least 30 Pioneer units. So its just numbers...

Also, look at it this way. While I dont support the grey market or products available through them, you have an advantage. By not paying for warranty, you are saving at least 40% of the MRP cost. How many of you have actually had to spend this 40% on repairs / service? Very few... The rest of you save that money.

So lets stop bashing a company that makes good products. I would love to be able to buy Pioneer with B&W cuz thats the only bad thing the competition can say about them. Unfortunately, I dont see that happening soon. I hope Navinji is right and Autocop is selling Pioneer with B&W.
I totally agree with GUNBIR.
I checked out 5750 with B&W by AutoCop and It was for Rs 12,750 and without B&W I am getting it for RS 6500. HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Difference. And I am sure that I won't hv to spend (GOD, Please) a whopping Rs 6000 on Repairs, I'd rather buy a new Unit.

And Thank you GUNBIR for pitching in on this forum along with other experts, would love your advice as well.

Now Please tell me which Speakers to go in for with Pioneer 5750 (Rs 6500) Leaving around 3500-4000 INR for Speakers (Rears Only) No Amps, No Subs.
Which speakers will match best, If required I can even Spend around Rs 4500 On speakers however they need to sound extraordinary with Pioneer 5750.

I need very good clarity at loud volumes with well defined beats.

Thank you.

I hv actually not been posting but been here day in and day out, My dad needed the car for sometime I will get it definetely on Saturday (Tomorow) and will let you abt my setup with pics and how it sounds. I can see everyone is doing very Gud, Keep It up.
Old 23rd September 2005, 00:29   #135
BHPian

Quote:
you bought 9 pios in 7 years. i use a 1987 alpine 7385. when i bought it i got a spare head and pinch roller. still found no need for them.
:-) I'm loving your Alpine :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks