Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:37   #1

USB Drive very slow

I have a Sony HU and I connect my 16 GB PNY lovely Attache USB stick to it. The problem is the HU is taking a very long time to read the USB. Once it starts, it is fine. But it is waiting about 2 to 3 minutes in 'reading' state. Is there a way to resolve this problem? It is really annoying sometimes to have to wait for 2 minutes for it to play songs.
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:02   #2
BHPian

This happens on the larger drives. Make sure the partition is FAT32.

Use this defragmenter to defragment the drive. This may not be a relevant solution to you but it surely worked when a friend had slowness problems with a 40GB USB harddrive and a Pionerer HU. No harm in trying

Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks

You can also use this to format to FAT32

Download FAT32format 1.03 - FAT32format is able to easily format large hard disks in FAT32, even in Windows XP. - Softpedia
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

This happens with cheap Chinese made USB sticks. (My personal experience)

Buy a reputed brand like Transcend/Kingston (with bill) from a decent computer shop. It would read faster.

Rohan
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Could be some problem with your computer, but I bought my last Sony TV in 2005, last Sony mobile in 2006, last Sony DVD player in 2007, and last Sony music system in 2003. I am still saddled with a sony DVD writer, which reads slowly. I am waiting for it to stop reading at all. No more Sony DVD writers for me. Even Moser Baer reads faster, writes faster, and lasts longer.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:20   #5
BHPian

As Rohan pointed out, its better to get a branded USB pendrive and preferably something which has a little lower capacity than current one. If I remember correctly, Sandisk is little costlier than Transcend (by 20-30 Rupees) but has a little better read speed. I see that the pioneer HU doesn't re-create the index unless something is written into the disk between. So Another suggestion would be to use a dedicated pendrive for car music.
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Guys PNY is also branded stuff

See this

PNY Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this

PNY

I myself have 2 4GB PNY drives that are performing same as the 4GB Transcend drive.

But yes the performance will vary when duplicates are used.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:53   #7
BHPian

I have been using a sandisk 16 GB pen drive with pio 2190 for a few months.
Never faced any problem.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:10   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
This happens on the larger drives. Make sure the partition is FAT32.

Use this defragmenter to defragment the drive. This may not be a relevant solution to you but it surely worked when a friend had slowness problems with a 40GB USB harddrive and a Pionerer HU. No harm in trying

Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks

You can also use this to format to FAT32

Download FAT32format 1.03 - FAT32format is able to easily format large hard disks in FAT32, even in Windows XP. - Softpedia
Disk de-fragmentation is not at all needed for flash/SSD drives since file fragmentation is almost nil !
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:38   #9
BHPian

Does the problem persists with other pen drives as well?
Make sure you have your songs collection arranged in folders and there are no non-compatible formats songs in the pen drive.
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

is the speed slow on all computer u plug the USB into or only on some , or maybe ur drive could be a USB1.0 drive where the data transfer rates are slower ....
Old 23rd January 2010, 17:25   #11

PNY is not a brand? comeon guys, I thought this is one of the best brands that make USB with the best technology. For all you know these guys could be manufacturing the so called reputed brand USB. I know for sure they make falsh sticks for HP. Check the packing/manual of your USB dont be surprised if the device is made by PNY and 'marketed' under certain brand.

Coming to the issue, it got resolved :-) . Thanks Diveshsingh. It seems to be the bad files. I deleted everything but the mp3 files from the drive (album art etc). Now the drive is very fast.. Just takes couple of seconds to read. I'm very happy :-)

thank you all for your responses.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:09   #12
BHPian

Nice tip Divesh, thanks chbpreddy for confirming.

and PNY is a large manufacturer of pen drive, but has very limited market share in India as of now.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have used USB drives from Transcend, HP, Kingston, SONY, SanDisk and the like.

PNY is the most compact and has the least read and write cycle times atleast in my case.

Many mistake my PNY usb drive for a memory card, infact. And yes, HP sells the same drive under their brand.

P.S: Mine is a 4GB drive.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbpreddy View Post
Coming to the issue, it got resolved :-) . Thanks Diveshsingh. It seems to be the bad files. I deleted everything but the mp3 files from the drive (album art etc). Now the drive is very fast.. Just takes couple of seconds to read. I'm very happy :-)

thank you all for your responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Nice tip Divesh, thanks chbpreddy for confirming.
My pleasure. glad to help

Most Viewed