Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 11:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit?

Hi all,

I own a 2005 Swift Vxi and was wondering if I could firstly fit a steering wheel with audio controls which is available in the latest Swifts/Swift Dziers. If yes, any idea as to what would be the cost of the same?

Also, since these steering wheels with audio controls are meant to control the stock headunits which come with the car, is it possible to have them connected & be fully functional with an after market headunit like an Alpine 9887?

Mods : Found a similar thread but all posts were off topic - The title said steering wheel with audio controls but steering wheel remotes were being discussed.
Old 29th January 2010, 14:16   #2
BHPian

Even i have a swift zxi, and would like to add on the factory steering remote, would like to know if its possible and also how would it impact the airbags in the steering?
Old 12th July 2010, 14:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post
Even i have a swift zxi, and would like to add on the factory steering remote, would like to know if its possible and also how would it impact the airbags in the steering?
Is anyone successful in doing this small mod?
Old 12th July 2010, 17:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

this will mean that you will have to have a HU with a compatible wiring harness to the Steering control, and I imagine you will have to replace a large part of the steering wheel, and maybe the assembly too. The aftermarket steering wheel controls are a much more feasible option
Old 12th July 2010, 19:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
this will mean that you will have to have a HU with a compatible wiring harness to the Steering control, and I imagine you will have to replace a large part of the steering wheel, and maybe the assembly too. The aftermarket steering wheel controls are a much more feasible option
Hi Greenhorn, could you please elaborate on this? Are you suggesting to buy a after market steering wheel controls? Just as a background of thisd question, I have purchased the Pioneer P8000BT HU and is waiting for my mom to return from US this month-end. So, I was thinking if I should buy the PAC wiring adapter for the HU, and buy the Steering Audio Control switch from Maruti (I even got the part number 37460-79J10-ZCP). Any idea if this is feasible? Or do I have to change the front portion of my steering wheel (the one we press to sound the horn)?
Old 19th July 2010, 13:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

(1). Install the suitable PAC adaptor which interfaces to the existing controls. This may be slightly expensive.
(2). An infrared remote control adaptor is available, which would be installed in the steering. This is quite small in size, so you dont have worry about the SRS bags or any other system getting affected. This control would be connected (plugged) to the steering controls and the other end is the infrared sensor which would be hidden in your roof lights. The sensor would be connected to the rear side of the HU. I have installed mine in this manner.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:54   #7
BHPian

I would advice you to resist your temptations on doing so. Its not a possibility, unless and until you are planning to mess what you already have. You gonna waste a lot of money and mind on something which wont be worth the effort at the end of the day.

Steering controlled audio system as if now has no room for personalization and strongly advice you to stop thinking about it.
Sorry if i sound demotivating.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I have noticed that you'll dont recommend making modifications to the steering wheel on the Zxi due to the airbags and stuff. But what about my case? I have a 2005 Vxi, can I change to a Zxi steering wheel with audio controls and use a PAC wiring kit to connect to my aftermarket HU?
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Hi Greenhorn, could you please elaborate on this? Are you suggesting to buy a after market steering wheel controls? Just as a background of thisd question, I have purchased the Pioneer P8000BT HU and is waiting for my mom to return from US this month-end. So, I was thinking if I should buy the PAC wiring adapter for the HU, and buy the Steering Audio Control switch from Maruti (I even got the part number 37460-79J10-ZCP). Any idea if this is feasible? Or do I have to change the front portion of my steering wheel (the one we press to sound the horn)?
if you are obsessed with keeping the stock look, and dont mind spending the extra cash, why not, But I have an aftermarket steering remote http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...e-control.html

it is doable, but feasiblity is upto you - how badly you want it and if you're prepared to pay for it. I know I'm not !
Old 30th October 2012, 10:55   #10
BHPian

Re: Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit?

Hi Guys,

Nice to see that there were people who had similar thoughts.

I was too wondering if I could swap my Swift VXI steering wheel with that of Swift ZXI. I somehow can't follow the difficulty in it. I own a 2012 model. I still repent for not going for a ZXI .

What all do we need to change, isn't it just the steering wheel? I already have a HU that supports the wiring.

I'm not really into the after market IR remotes!

Thanks so much.

Xydon.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:10   #11
BHPian

Re: Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Hi Guys,

Nice to see that there were people who had similar thoughts.

I was too wondering if I could swap my Swift VXI steering wheel with that of Swift ZXI. I somehow can't follow the difficulty in it. I own a 2012 model. I still repent for not going for a ZXI .

What all do we need to change, isn't it just the steering wheel? I already have a HU that supports the wiring.

I'm not really into the after market IR remotes!

Thanks so much.

Xydon.
Xydon,

Its not just the steering wheel but the wiring all the way to the headunit from the steering. It has to take care of winding-unwinding of the steering wheel etc. Don't think it is as simple as changing just the steering wheel. Not sure if it can be done by any after market guys or even the company A.S.S.

Sometime back I was also checking if a similar thing can be done on a Honda City but in-vain.

So, hard luck bro. But do let me know if you manage to find a solution.

Lastly, there is an after market solution to this that I can think of. The Parrot MKI 9100 or 9200 will do just fine. It will add, USB, iPod, Bluetooth Phone control functionality to your existing HU (provided it's compatible) and will give you a steering mounted pod to control everything. However, it's on the expensive side (~ 170 USD) and it doesn't retail in India.

Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!
Abhi
Old 30th October 2012, 12:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

I got an awesome kit from Bass&trouble for my Honda Civic rear armrest controls. I can control my Pioneer DEH-80PRS from my armrest with this IR based kit without any complicated wiring.

PM him (@Bass&Trouble on the forum)

Last edited by frankmehta : 30th October 2012 at 12:25.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:11   #13
BHPian

I own a Swift ZXI which has steering mounted audio controls.

Have after market HU installed and the steering mounted audio controls work flawlessly, wanna know how?

Its simple I installed a PAC steering wheel interface which supported the HU which was Alpine 117 in my case, the same interface also supports various other brands of HU including Clarion, Kenwood, Sony etc. to name a few.

Any audio shop should be able to do this for you, I am running this now for more than 2 yrs I think or maybe more.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I own a Swift ZXI which has steering mounted audio controls.

Have after market HU installed and the steering mounted audio controls work flawlessly, wanna know how?

Its simple I installed a PAC steering wheel interface which supported the HU which was Alpine 117 in my case, the same interface also supports various other brands of HU including Clarion, Kenwood, Sony etc. to name a few.

Any audio shop should be able to do this for you, I am running this now for more than 2 yrs I think or maybe more.
Hi, Great to know that you have already done it. Could you tell where to find this PAC thing, how much does it cost and is it as simple as it sounds to install this. Can any accessory shop handle this without issues?

Thanks.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi, Great to know that you have already done it. Could you tell where to find this PAC thing, how much does it cost and is it as simple as it sounds to install this. Can any accessory shop handle this without issues?

Thanks.
I got this procured from US itself, you can try to source it through ebay or can check with any reputed Car Audio guys in your city, and you happen to be in the city with best in the audio business guys . Hint --- Bass&Trouble, check with him on this.

On the installation part, it was pretty easy to figure it out since the instructions were very clear and crisp and we (installer & myself) just followed it up and voila it worked just fine.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks