Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2006, 11:26   #46
BHPian

The simplest way to get good sound is to use FreeRIP MP3 (a freeware CD to MP3 converter) and convert sound to either ..

1) 128 - if you want good sound but as much more on one CD as possible
2) 160 - if you want a good balance between quality and file size
3) 192 - if you want great quality.

Bitrates above these (like 256 and 320) will sound just like 192 in most car setups unless you have some ultra high end setup.

Variable bitrate is another option .. you can try a VBR setting between 128-192, which will also give you great results.

A word of caution - don't re-encode (or transcode) MP3 to a lower/higher bitrate MP3. You will only lose quality in the process, unless its s 320/256kbit MP3 that you are trying to convert to 160 or 192, in which case its actually ok.

If you're looking for an encoder with lots of options and also support for about 50 audio formats (gasp!), search for GX Transcoder. FreeRIP MP3 comes with lame built-in so you don't need to worry about quality.

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com
Old 12th January 2006, 18:49   #47
BHPian

Trabscoding is not advisable but abt audio cd [wav]which has been copied from another copied cd without ripping to hard disk [or even if ripped to HD using some software but at default BIT RATE,can we encode this cd with, ofcourse better ouput?
Old 12th January 2006, 21:00   #48
Team-BHP Support

Doc, TBHP does not promote or condone piracy. I do have copies of CDs however they were made when the orignal showed signs of decomposing as some CDs are wont to do.

Rippping the copy of the CD is almost the same as ripping the original CD. I say almost as I do see some errors from the anti aliasing filters and jitter compound on copies but to be honest cant really define them consistently.

Making copies of CDs is best done using a CD recorder (I use a Marantz machine) and from the coax output of the CD player.

So what you really are ripping is a CDA file. I have not compared the output of my Maratz recoder to a good (Plextor) computer based CD Writer so i cant say if those CDs are equally good.

I have ripped about 305 artists, 696 albums and 8354 songs and this occupies all but 50MB of my 55.7GB ipod.
Old 12th January 2006, 21:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Doc, TBHP does not promote or condone piracy. I do have copies of CDs however they were made when the orignal showed signs of decomposing as some CDs are wont to do.
no..navin...even i dont like that but why i asked this as my sis-in-law has some collection of cd's and i wanted her to send me their copies and then i wud encode these to mp3 myself just for car system.
i cant tell her to do encoding for me.Its very time consuming especially for her as she is doing her MD there.I usually send her copies of my hindi and punjabi music cd's.
Now i wont call it piracy as we r sharing music within a family,though some may not agree with me.

For me piracy is if somebody is trying to get some financial benefit by selling copied cd from original/copied cd.Here we r not looking for any such thing.

Probably i could not put my question right way.Sorry for that.
And even i am not going to use those pirated,cheap 20/rs mp3 on my such a nice system.It will sound like sony!!!!
Old 12th January 2006, 22:43   #50
Team-BHP Support

Well Doc, technically what you are doing is considered piracy. Even if you are not gaining financially from it. The record and software companies see this is a potential loss of income.

What i discussing earlier is that when you are encoding from a CD remember the copy can never be as good as the orignal (unless you have enough equipment to upsample and remaster) so it is best to have the orignal. However use CDA copies made by a good home CD recorder (in my case marantz) I have not noticed any difference in the MP3 made from the copy v/s an MP made from the orignal CD. As mentioed earlier and on other threads I use VBR (APX in EAC/Lame with Accuraterip and Wavegain).

that reminds me did i not promise to send you my Lame settings. i forgot. buzz me tom. and i wil dig them up.

Last edited by navin : 12th January 2006 at 22:44.
Old 12th January 2006, 23:32   #51
BHPian

Quote:
that reminds me did i not promise to send you my Lame settings. i forgot.
U had said APX (alt present extreme) with wavegain and a few other flags will do one better
in reply to my post about --alt preset extreme and i asked for these flags or settings,whatever?
And here when we r discussing this piracy issue,just now i got to know i cant get those cd as my she had virus in her laptop and repair guy accidently removed dvd writer and hasn't been put back so far.So there is no time left as my FIL is leaving tomorrow early morning.
Old 13th January 2006, 10:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

you still can take out her hard disk and connect it to your PC as a slave or use a PC-PC LAN wire (not the standard RJ57 but 2 wires are reversed) and or use a switch to connect the 2 PCs.

--present extreme --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --scale %x --ta "%a" --tn "%n" --tt "%t" --ty "&y" --tg "%m" %s %d

my file path is
C:\Music\MP3\%a\%g\%n - %t
Old 13th January 2006, 17:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
you still can take out her hard disk and connect it to your PC as a slave or use a PC-PC LAN wire (not the standard RJ57 but 2 wires are reversed) and or use a switch to connect the 2 PCs.

well....she is in USA.

Quote:
--present extreme --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --scale %x --ta "%a" --tn "%n" --tt "%t" --ty "&y" --tg "%m" %s %d

my file path is
C:\Music\MP3\%a\%g\%n - %t

Thanx...i will use this setting now.
Old 16th July 2006, 18:15   #54
BHPian

well..........lets discuss this topic bit more.I dont want my original CD's to get damaged quite early costing as much as 500 per cd.

Right now i rip my cd's using microsoft's WMP v10 to WMA(VBR from 240-355kbps) which uses about 105 to 155 MB per CD.
So each file is about 15MB and CD's sound quality is quite good.[Better than recorded at 128kbps].

I also use EAC with razor but have not much idea how to configure EAC.I did read one article but it dint help me much.

I know EAC is reputed to be the best but it doesn't give file names in ouput directory which WMP v10 gives while ripping to WMA or MP3 format.
And i dont want to type file name individually.
I dont want to have 4-5 folders per cd keeping cd or near cd sound quality.
I hope i am not missing some setting.
Old 16th July 2006, 20:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using CDex for a long time to rip my CD's, and I find this to be good. I have not compared it with other util's, but this has worked for me.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

There was a point abt using CD-RW's in this thread - pls note that CD-RW's are more susceptible to fail than CD-R's. With the cost of CD-R's being so low, it makes more sense to burn to CD-R's than CD-RW's.
Old 16th July 2006, 22:49   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
I have been using CDex for a long time to rip my CD's, and I find this to be good. I have not compared it with other util's, but this has worked for me.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/.
CDex is fine too. EAC just offers a lot of support from a large user base. Sorta like Linux.
Old 16th July 2006, 23:25   #57
BHPian

here is what i would suggest...
use exact audio copy to rip the music off the audio cd.. save the files as .wav on your hard drive.. next.. use this programe called Audio Catalyst.
its is the best and fastest converter to mp3 formats..only encode at 320 Kbps.. always.. with the cost of a cd at 10 Rs or less.. there is no excuse left to have the mp3's at anything below 320 kbps.
Audio Catalyst is very very good.. and the MPEG 3 encoder was writtien by Xing. the same guys who had a part in founding the MPEG standard. they have now been bought by Real Networks.. of real player fame so trust me .. you cant go wrong.. use this to convert in VBR or constant 320.. It has Brilliant sound quality.. this i can vouch for.. find very negligible differences even on studio monitors... hope this helped...

link for audio catalyst is below
http://www.real.com/accessories/?prod=audiocatalyst

Link for Exact Audio Copy
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

Booom
Old 17th July 2006, 12:15   #58
BHPian

Hey Tool...posting in a MP3 bit rate thread with Manley's Voxbox in you avatar ... cool

Last edited by Autophile : 17th July 2006 at 12:17.
Old 17th July 2006, 15:27   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
I know EAC is reputed to be the best but it doesn't give file names in ouput directory which WMP v10 gives while ripping to WMA or MP3 format.
And i dont want to type file name individually.
I dont want to have 4-5 folders per cd keeping cd or near cd sound quality.
I hope i am not missing some setting.
EAC might not be the best but it has a lot of support (see hydrogenaudio.org for example).

if you are using LAME with EAC you can use the settings I mentioned below. Yuo should get rips with the following format ...\Artist\Album\Song.mp3
Old 17th July 2006, 16:12   #60
BHPian

Can all these sofwares write the file name [as in original cd] to output file [mp3 or wma] as well?
I know EAC doesn't do it but WMPv10 does it very well though on some occasions it just refuses to rip whole cd at one go and i have to repeat it many times for whole cd to be ripped.
So thats my main problem o/w i cant find any difference in audio quality of original cd and ripped to wma format.

@Tool-:audio catalyst is not a freeware and it costs about $29 and they ask about ur billing address/credit card no. etc before u can download it.

@navin-:I tried file name suggested by u but without much help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks