Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 21:30   #1
BHPian

RF 3Sixty.2 vs Alpine H650

I need help deciding between the RF 3Sixty.2 and the Alpine H650. Both are available online for practically the same price.

I have heard that the RF unit has issues with the BT moudule and if this happens then the unit is completely inaccessible. The only way to fix this is it to send it to RF in Arizona. This would be a serious problem..

Apare from this, can someone help list out the pro's and cons so I could make an informed decision.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:07   #2
BHPian

Did you consider the Audison Bit One?If you can wait go in for the JBL MS8. Seems like the wait will be worth it

Last edited by pranava999 : 1st February 2010 at 13:10.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

The Bit one is 3 times the price of the 650 or 360.2
Old 1st February 2010, 13:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

or you could buy pranava's RF 360.2. whatsay?
Old 1st February 2010, 13:57   #5
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
not really since i think that this is area dependent you would be surprised at how cheap the bit one is - for example here in South Africa the 360.2 is around R5500 ZA rands whist the bit one is around R6000 ZA rands

From what i have heard Audison need to sell 40 thousand of those units to just break even on research and development costs hence have priced accordingly. Though if you are buying directly from the "States" then Rockford is very cheap there but in South Africa we have to pay more for it because of the import duties and VAT and a whole host of other factors

The thing is though for us in this part of the world theres almost no difference in the price between those two units. If the opening poster does look on Ebay though there are many people disillusioned with the bit one who are getting rid of it cheaply enough. The JBL though will probably be a bit pricey compared to the others but if it does a lot more compared to the others then it could be a worthwhile proposition

Old 1st February 2010, 18:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
or you could buy pranava's RF 360.2. whatsay?
Sure, I would surely check this out.

Quote:
Yes - the cheapest Bit one is for 700$ here. The 650 & 3sixty.2 are both in the range of 290-350 USD (NEW) on ebay.

naughty001: I doubt I would bet the bit one for anything under 700$.

Can someone please give me an update on which is better? I would be need it for OEM integration in the Punto.

As mentioned in the the post above, my concern about the 3sixty.2 is that there is a known issue of the blue tooth module going bust.
Old 1st February 2010, 19:38   #7
naughty001

Quote:
As mentioned in the the post above, my concern about the 3sixty.2 is that there is a known issue of the blue tooth module going bust.
there has been a revised version released, im assuming that newer stock would be the revised stuff which works perfectly well, older stock would probably be from the batch that had the problems

in Rockfords defence they replaced all the bad ones with the good ones when the problem became apparent

i would buy rockford with confidence if they have official representation where i live because this makes it easy to get stuff replaced even though it takes up a bit of time but you dont lose out - if they dont have representation then i would look at the alternatives

about the 650 well i like that it has imprint technology built in but i havent really looked at the other capabilities of the unit. IMHO if you are a tinkerman like myself then you would probably want all the adjustments to be made manually as well as auto calibration with multiQxt (ie imprint) so if it has lots of manual adjustments too you can tgo wrong with it cos the 360.2 has only manual adjustments and has nothing that allows you any automatic setting functionality

Last edited by naughty001 : 1st February 2010 at 19:41.

Old 1st February 2010, 19:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would strongly suggest RF360.2 you get lots of manual control, not just TA or EQ but its xover setting is more flexible. Alpine is Equally good, have an option auto EQ as well, but since your system is running on passive RF is better pick, you get to tinker lots.
With bit.1 there have been lot issues reported by users. don't see big worth at that price compared to the RF or Alpine.

MS8 though is loaded with all the features one can think plus that Logic7 but it would be priced higher around $800+. Definately if you can wait and dont mind the price, it's surely one to pick.

Last edited by Invinsible : 1st February 2010 at 19:51.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:19   #9
BHPian

I went in for the cheap JL Audio cleansweep that is still in its box. Could not afford the RF 3sixty.2

OT:Hey Frank nice to see a post. Thought you had disappeared from the forum.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I would strongly suggest RF360.2 you get lots of manual control.
I have heard some stoires about hiss being apparnet in setups using the 360.2. I did not hear it but have you heard this hiss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
I went in for the cheap JL Audio cleansweep that is still in its box. Could not afford the RF 3sixty.2
the Clean sweep does not have TA does it?
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard some stoires about hiss being apparnet in setups using the 360.2. I did not hear it but have you heard this hiss?

the Clean sweep does not have TA does it?
Hiss was present in previous model which has been rectified in 2009. But, it was more dependant from car to car or with power cables of the amp running off along with the rca wires or of weak ground wiring. Of lately there aren't many user complaininng on this. Many of them are successfully using the Rf.2 without any complain. My guess is it could be more cause of installation than the product. I say one can look at buying from ebay as these vendors purchase limited stocks and some even offer free shipping in US. Vendors like woofersetc.com or sonicelectronix carry much larger inventory some of which might be having old stocks.

Jl audio cleansweep is a great product but all it does is flattens the sound. It is used with stock headunit which are EQ'd as per the stock speakers given by the manufacturers. Cleansweep simply flattens this output with the help of calibrating CD that comes along with it. One can further use some Equaliser from Audiocontrol or RF to get the desired EQ setting as per ones liking after cleansweep and achieve better results. Cleansweep does not always works well. With some stock HU that are heavily EQ'd one will notice the difference immediately whereas some stock HU's with mild EQ on it, it would be hard to notice any difference. No wonder I see mixed reviews on this product by many where some give it excellent rating and some are just not happy.

Overall RF360.2 is a better package than all the other ones i.e if one needs more control over the system. If not than one can use the Alpine processors with the imprint tech comes in handy.

Last edited by Invinsible : 2nd February 2010 at 15:51.
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:05   #12
naughty001

Quote:
not so much hiss but if you used the pre-outs ie the RCA inputs the 360.2 invariably caused line noise (alternator whine) - ive heard this in about 7 or 8 of those - it was hard to escape unless you were using the 360.2 as an OEM interface and used the high power inputs (speaker line level) - not 100% sure that the newer revisions have sorted this out or not

Old 3rd February 2010, 01:31   #13
BHPian

There is one more contender to the Mix. The Alpine PXE-H660. Doubt ill get it at a similar price though. I'll be in the Us for 2 more weeks so I still have sometime to make the right decission.

The alpine 650 is available at 290$... Going this route does save me somemoney for rear fills / a sub.

Alpine 650 PRO's
1. Cheaper
2. Not as many HW issues
3. Blue tooth issues not applicable

Alpine 650 CON's
1. Known to HISS with a non Alpine HU. (I would use the stock Blau with Line level inputs)
2. Limited Manual EQ control

3Sixty.2 PRO's
1. Lots of manual tuning options

3Sixty.2 CON's
1. If I get an older version (which could happen), lots of HW bTooth issues

Last edited by Crimson : 3rd February 2010 at 01:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks