Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 11:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep ICE with Headphone-out option required

This is the first time i'm visiting this thread. I have never been a big ICE person. A decent HU and speakers are enough for me.
Most of you who know me, know that i recently purchased a Mahindra Classic jeep.

Now i need an ICE option for the jeep. I don't need any fancy stuff, just basics will do.

Till now, i normally use my iphone to listen to music and i'm fine with it. Since the jeep is open, i always shied away from the idea of installing a music system since it will cause a nuisance to others on the road (will have to keep it loud to hear above the roar of the engine and the din of the road and other vehicles). However, when out on an OTR or parked (don't get wrong thoughts - OPEN JEEP) or while on the the expressway with other people in the car, a music system with speakers starts making sense.

Again, i don't need hifi stuff, just a basic setup. I did a little scouting and found these chinese head units. There are two options. One with USB and SD card slot costing Rs. 1200 and another also with a Aux-in costing 1800. I found pioneer small speakers with a PVC cone (water resistant) costing Rs. 600 a pair.

I'm fine with this setup. Now since i already am fitting a deck, i thought, then why not use that only to listen to music even when i'm alone if i can add a headphone jack to it. That way i'll save on battery of my iphone.

So, my question:

How can i add a headphone out to this deck? I plan to run a wire below the carpeting and get a socket out near the seatbelt catch. (see the attached 2nd pic). In the first pic is the position where i plan to put the speakers (as seen on the mahindra thar). The reason for this is that i can just unplug and remove the box in case i need to go through water. It will be secured with a few screws and i'm not too worried about security.

To get this headphone jack, earlier i thought that i can solder a wire to the speaker outs only and use it. But i guess with that kind of output i will blow my headphone speakers in case i forget to turn the volume down.

I will have a switch attached to the speaker wires, so i can cut of sound to them when not required or when i'm driving alone and want to hear through the headphones.

Any other options? Ideas? Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep ICE with Headphone-out option required-thar-speaker1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th February 2010 at 11:32. Reason: typo
Old 6th February 2010, 12:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Disclaimer: Do not drife with headphones in Mumbai traffic. You get a lot of spatial clues through your ears.

Why bother with wiring. Consider IR headphones. I have heard the Alpine 252 and they are quite nice. Clarion makes a cheaper model (I think it is called the 204).

Alpine SHS-N103 Wireless headphones at Crutchfield Outlet

Clarion WH204 Headphones - Audio/Video Accessories at Onlinecarstereo.com
Old 6th February 2010, 12:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Disclaimer: Do not drive with headphones in Mumbai traffic. You get a lot of spatial clues through your ears.
Yes. Point taken. But i don't listen very loud.

Quote:
Why bother with wiring. Consider IR headphones. I have heard the Alpine 252 and they are quite nice. Clarion makes a cheaper model (I think it is called the 204).

Yes, these are an option. But i don't want headphones. I need earphones so that i can put them in my pocket. The jeep's glove compartment is small and wont be able to fit these in as well.

Also i still will need a headphone out jack (to connect the IR headphones) which these chinese HUs don't have. They have no input / output sockets at all. Just a bunch of wires that come out from behind.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th February 2010 at 12:38. Reason: typo
Old 6th February 2010, 22:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

46 views... only one guru answers!

All the famed ICE gurus... where art thou?
Old 6th February 2010, 22:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer: I am not a guru and I may be wrong.

The simplest solution that I can think of is to get a HU with at least one pre-out. Since your speakers would run off the HU, you could use a 2XRCA to 3.5mm Stereo jack (female) cord and connect it to the pre-out. Connect your earphones to the Stereo jack (female) and voila, you're in business!
Old 7th February 2010, 16:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Headphones and earphones would work the same way. Your idea of connecting them should work - you just have to carefully connect the correct '-' ends of the speaker outputs together to get the earphone common. The L and R speaker outputs will connect to the respective jack connections.

Usually when one inserts the earphone jack into the socket, there is a contact which is wired in such way as to disconnect the connection to the main speaker. Since this is an external connection, you will not have the facility. If you really want this facility, you can use a DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) switch to virtually do the same thing:
- Mount it somewhere convenient near the HU
- To the center pin of the switch, connect the speaker out (R and L) from the HU
- The other wire of the pairs that I have described above can be connected together, and taken to the speakers and earphone socket. If you don't want to do that, you have to use 2 DPDT switches to switch pairs of wires
- To one side, connect the wire going to the actual speakers, one for R, one for L
- To the other side, connect the wire going to the EP socket R and L
- Flip the switch to the desired side to connect either the speakers or the earphone

Navin, would he need to connect a resistor in series with the speaker out from HU to limit current? At a pinch, he could have actually connected a cheap headphone amp to the speaker outs to do the same, but the switch will be a cheap rugged alternative.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

thanks for the detailed reply DerAlte.

I'm going to experiment with DPDT.

Quote:
Navin, would he need to connect a resistor in series with the speaker out from HU to limit current?
How is this done?

Quote:
At a pinch, he could have actually connected a cheap headphone amp to the speaker outs to do the same, but the switch will be a cheap rugged alternative.
What is a headphone amp?
Old 10th February 2010, 13:54   #8
BANNED

Why do you want a HU? Attracts too much attention in an open Jeep.

How about a 2-3 GB MP3 Player with a plug -in dock inbetween the 2 front seats with the dock connected to the speakers.

I had a crude adaption of the above in my Jeep.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why do you want a HU? Attracts too much attention in an open Jeep.

How about a 2-3 GB MP3 Player with a plug -in dock inbetween the 2 front seats with the dock connected to the speakers.

I had a crude adaption of the above in my Jeep.
So basically, you're saying is to just fit a small amp and connect it to a mp3 player? Right?

Can you post pics of the adaptation in your jeep?
Old 10th February 2010, 14:06   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
So basically, you're saying is to just fit a small amp and connect it to a mp3 player? Right?
Yes. I think GTO has done something similiar on his Classic.

Edit: Found it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...tml#post913123

Sorry man no pics. But I can build you one Let me know which MP3 Player you have.

One thing in the Classic. Anything added aftermarket with the help of extra mounts rivets or screws (HU) works its self loose after you have been in half an OTR. After that it just gets too painful to fix the rattling every now and then.

Last edited by Spitfire : 10th February 2010 at 14:11.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

I think you should give the jeep to me asap!

Use iPod naah, works well, stores well and no worry about getting soaked or stolen.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I think GTO has done something similiar on his Classic.

Edit: Found it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...tml#post913123

Sorry man no pics. But I can build you one Let me know which MP3 Player you have.

One thing in the Classic. Anything added aftermarket with the help of extra mounts rivets or screws (HU) works its self loose after you have been in half an OTR. After that it just gets too painful to fix the rattling every now and then.
I've seen GTO's setup.
I plan to cut the fibre dash and install it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think you should give the jeep to me asap!

Use iPod naah, works well, stores well and no worry about getting soaked or stolen.
Don't wanna use the ipod. Just another extra item to carry around and i'm quite forgetful; may forget the ipod in the jeep. Also i can use the radio feature if i buy the deck.

BTW, how's the jeep search going?
Old 10th February 2010, 15:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need earphones so that i can put them in my pocket.
Also i still will need a headphone out jack (to connect the IR headphones) which these chinese HUs don't have.
The IR headphones I listed will take an input from RCA (line out - nominal 2Vrms) and convert it for headphone use. I have installed the Alpine 252.

Also think PX100 (Sennheiser). They fold and are comfortable and are not bad sounding. Plus they let outside sound in better than in ear buds.
http://www.headphones.com/headphones...ble-headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The L and R speaker outputs will connect to the respective jack connections.
- Flip the switch to the desired side to connect either the speakers or the earphone

Navin, would he need to connect a resistor in series with the speaker out from HU to limit current?
Yes if he uses headphones with a impedance of 32ohms or less. If however he is using high impednace headphone (earphones are almost always 32 ohms or less) then he wont need a resistor but all he really needs is to put a 560ohms-1k 2W resistor in series with the headphones or an L-pad as shown here http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1082826750.jpg.

LBM once pointed to this site and the schematic looks more complete (and thought through - fail safe 120ohms to ground too).
Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

Quote:
What is a headphone amp?
see headfi.org or headphone.com and if you are into DIY Headwise.com
HeadWize Library - Projects
Amplifiers ? Digital Analog Converters ? DACs | HeadRoom Audio
Head-Fi Amp Guide -- Submissions - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Quote:
once the screws are tightened spray some 'Maxifix' on it. It willl prevent the screws from working themselves loose.

Last edited by navin : 10th February 2010 at 15:34.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't wanna use the ipod. Just another extra item to carry around and i'm quite forgetful; may forget the ipod in the jeep. Also i can use the radio feature if i buy the deck.

BTW, how's the jeep search going?
I suggest you make the HU lockable inside the glove box or something. Mumbai and exposed HU is not a good idea, even without the panel. Ensure you do the same for speakers. Saw Sam's JBL pod stuff for Nano? Get that and try to fix it in a water proof area. Once the monsoons hit, jeep will show its leaky nature + the water logged trails!

As for me, well am chasing few options here and there nothing finalized as of now.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

instead of the HU, buy a cheap local amp, or if you know whom to contact, get it made. Methinks you should be able to find something at lamington.

You can get stuff for 700 or so which take line inputs, have headphone outputs, and run off a 12V supply.
These are dirt cheap, rugged, and IC based.

Last edited by greenhorn : 10th February 2010 at 15:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks