Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 20:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE on Zen

I had bought this 2004 Zen Lx as a second hand vehicle as my first car. I have always been a music buff. I listen to all kinds of music that sounds good to my ears ranging from Country Music to Bollywood and regional songs.

When the car was purchased it had the company provided Cassette Player HU and two co-axial speakers plonked on the cars hatch. Obviously it sounded crappy. Then my quest for an upgrade started with very very limited budget. I got all the ingredients of my current system 1 by 1.

1. First I decided to change the speakers and bought a Pioneer 2-way 300w 6x9. Once it was used in-place of the crappy old speakers the music started to sound much better.

2. Second I got the front speakers Lightening Audio 4" ones that had 30w RMS output. It fitted neatly inside the front door panels but the rear Pioneers were over powering.

3. The third upgrade that I got was a second hand HU Pioneer CD/MP3 player. Why a second HU? Again finance was the main decider but the system suddenly felt more livelier with the new HU and i was pretty much content for sometime

4. Finally I decided to enhance the front sound as the sound stage was more inclined towards the rear with a component speaker. I got the JBL GT5-S265c series of 6" component speakers.

The system now sounds way better and suddenly I can equate the current setup with my Creative system on the comp. Yes I am satisfied
Attached Thumbnails
ICE on Zen-dsc04181_1024x768.jpg  

ICE on Zen-dsc04182_1024x768.jpg  

ICE on Zen-dsc04184_1024x768.jpg  

Old 9th February 2010, 12:40   #2
BHPian

Congrats my friend.

Get some damping done on the doorpads when you install the amp. The doorpads on the zen sing along with the components. My suggestion to you is one layer of yogamat on the doorpad. Its also low budget.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Congrats my friend.

Get some damping done on the doorpads when you install the amp. The doorpads on the zen sing along with the components. My suggestion to you is one layer of yogamat on the doorpad. Its also low budget.
Already got 2 layers of Yoga mat inside the doorpad saw the DIY section and was inspired to perform the same.

Now have got some vibration from the window mechanism inside the door. any solutions?
Old 10th February 2010, 12:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Already got 2 layers of Yoga mat inside the doorpad saw the DIY section and was inspired to perform the same.

Now have got some vibration from the window mechanism inside the door. any solutions?
I have the same problem. I have stuffed some sponge so that the mechanism operates without any obstruction. But it doesnt last long due to heat and water that gets in.

This time I am planning to use foam sheet instead of sponge.

Last edited by shreyasma : 10th February 2010 at 12:46.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
I have the same problem. I have stuffed some sponge so that the mechanism operates without any obstruction. But it doesnt last long due to heat and water that gets in.

This time I am planning to use foam sheet instead of sponge.
Where did u stuff the sponge? inside the cavity where the window mechanism works?
Old 9th August 2010, 09:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

2nd Upgrade

Did some minor upgrade to the ICE yesterday.

1. Got a JBL GT-A644 800w amplifier to drive the front compos & the rear 6x9
2. Upgraded the Pioneer 6x9 to JBL GTO-948 6x9

The amp has been fixed below the front passenger seat and is well hidden from the view. The SQ has improved a lot but now the only sore point are the HU's which needs to be upgraded as they have only 2ch out instead of 4ch.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:52   #7
BHPian

Audition Results

Audition of your cars Music system was in deed impressive. The step by step journey is turning to yield nice outputs :-). What I feel that damping the boot may add to some more characteristic to the whole setup.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
Audition of your cars Music system was in deed impressive. The step by step journey is turning to yield nice outputs :-). What I feel that damping the boot may add to some more characteristic to the whole setup.
Yeah i thght of the same, infact the car has not been damped par say.........u had some wurths number for the damping stuff?

Most Viewed