Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2005, 23:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
JBL can be squeezed in. if customer is not ready to increase budget, to start with Sam can't you reduce your price may be just a lil bit. Don't scream just a suggestion...

Hey, but what have we to gain out of this discussion? Nothing.....
So, I rest my case......
Hey Sm... brother... its a healthy discussion, but like you said, what have we to gain from it. At the end of it all, it would be 2 silly blokes trying to convince each other of the availability and the non-existance of a potential market while the mass is still out there to buy the pioneers... so lets just enjoy our setup and the rest would follow, someday....

Your idea of selling stuff out from your bunk is cool.... Check wid Sam if he'd be willing to partner up for the initiative....
Old 16th September 2005, 09:44   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
.... so lets just enjoy our setup and the rest would follow, someday....
does it make a difference if the rest follow or not. the man bedhing you is not important. let them be. they have their reasons. march to the beat of your own drummer.

my wife will tell you that she is convinced that i am mad. I am not saying that in a flattering way. really mad.
Old 16th September 2005, 11:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sam,
Look at the simpler stufff man...many persons decide on what they want to buy at the Car showroom itself....they see the models being played and decide which HU and speaker they want to purchase....sadly, JBL never crosses their minds since
1. It is NEVER at a display anywhere...including the local distributor
2. 90% of the persons dont even know the name of the brand....

hope something is done abt pt 1 soon
Old 16th September 2005, 11:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL
Hyderabad is suffering I'll agree, but very few people in India will have the same complaint. This is why I travel like a madman.
We're coming to hyderabad next week to solve this problem. Trust me, you'll be fed up of seeing the brand everywhere. If you're serious about doing biz, i'll ask someone to contact you.

About point one, demo boards have always been the toughest job. Since we're now Hyundai partners, JBL will be avaiable at all hyundai showrooms, so that covers one of your points.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th September 2005 at 11:31.
Old 16th September 2005, 12:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
LOL
Hyderabad is suffering I'll agree, but very few people in India will have the same complaint. This is why I travel like a madman.
We're coming to hyderabad next week to solve this problem. Trust me, you'll be fed up of seeing the brand everywhere. If you're serious about doing biz, i'll ask someone to contact you.

About point one, demo boards have always been the toughest job. Since we're now Hyundai partners, JBL will be avaiable at all hyundai showrooms, so that covers one of your points.
Sam, there is India beyond the big cities also. My home town is a mere 65 KMs from Delhi (Bulandshahr, in UP); and believe me very few people (many of whom are quite educated and well-read) have heard abt JBL.
I myself had suggested JBL to many friends/relatives, they were skeptical initially, but when the heard the demo they were impressed and went for it.
IMHO, sooner or later you'll have to look for micro-interiors as well. This is where the real sales come from (go ask HLL, ITC). In the smaller cities Sony, Pioneer and mebbe Kenwood are the brands which sell. And believe it or not, on more than one ocassion I have heard people confusing JBL with JVC ;-)

\N
Old 16th September 2005, 12:31   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you ntomer. Bro, trust me all this feedback goes a long way. Thanks all of you. I mean it.
Old 16th September 2005, 13:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you ntomer. Bro, trust me all this feedback goes a long way. Thanks all of you. I mean it.
Hey Sam, I dont know what you "had done" on this trip to Mumbai... but you're looking much prettier... and blonde suits you too...
Old 16th September 2005, 13:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Similarly, Sam... I honestly don't know if Chennai is a lucrative market for JBL or not, but not many people know about the JBL brand, or are inclined to try some expensive equipment. Also, I'm surprised to come to know of the fact that a lot of JBL sales come from places like Trichy, coimbatore and other cities in Tamilnadu, in volumes more than that of chennai....

I guess Chennai market could use some marketing too, atleast to promote and help the brand gain some visibility... Now I maybe right or wrong, but whats your take on this???

Last edited by k_ajay : 16th September 2005 at 13:39.
Old 16th September 2005, 13:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
We are talking about automobile related products. Lets talk cars. How many countries do you know of where Suzuki is the no. 1 brand and the highest selling product. In some countries, people dont even know Suzuki makes cars.

We are a high end products company and we represent high end brands. I think it takes more passion to sell expensive products in India. It means more resources are spent educating and converting customers, lesser quantities are sold, business is more difficult.

We have spent days and weeks at our dealers outlets hanging around customers and gauging their response when they see an Image Dynamics or a Hertz sub next to a Sony / Alpine / JBL.

We had never though we would be able to sell a Rs 13000 sub driver to a guy who wandered off the street to buy a Rs. 2900 Pioneer sub. But it happens, more often than not. First time car buyers, with no experience with car audio, demo a bunch of spreakers and pick the more expensive brands, all the time. This being India, I cant explain it in any other way except this...

Indians are NOT fools. ...At the end of the day, keep your mind open and trust your ears alone.
Gunbir that was as long as my posts!

1. Suzuki (Maruti) is the market leader in India becuase of the legacy of our licence Raj and because even after the market opened up it has consistently offered better customer service (I hear Tata is good too) than Honda, Toyota. I also offers a lot of value to many.

2. Sure selling high end products takes passion. High end products are usually expensive and selling them involves gerater costs.

3. Indian are not fools, i'd bet that there are fewer fools in India than in the US even though they have 1/4th the population. Not to derire Americans but they have more "disposbale" income and that alone can make a difference. Indians however want VALUE.

4. That you are able to sell Rs. 13,000 subs to someone who just wanted Rs. 3,000 subs is fantastic. It proves that Indians are willing to spend on audio. I have unfortunately not heard Hertz but sure hope to soon. However these breaktroughs your and JB have made is truly fantastic.

Last edited by navin : 16th September 2005 at 13:44.
Old 16th September 2005, 13:46   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hey Sam, I dont know what you "had done" on this trip to Mumbai... but you're looking much prettier... and blonde suits you too...

Saw a photo kya?? I've been red and gold haired for almost 4 months now. I look prettier lol, I got divorced! HAHA samjhe?

And by the way, how dare you refer to Sony and JBL in one breath. Laanat hai aap par.
Old 16th September 2005, 13:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

My take!! Let us have a RURAL awakening. Join me my fellow BHPians as we bring quality to the masses. SPL to the bore wells. The money is in the villages, not in the cities, but what to do?
I have to start this somewhere lol
Old 16th September 2005, 15:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sam, I must appreciate the consistency of advertising that JBL does in India, via Auto Mags... I'm not sure if you know this, but even Sridhar really respects and appreciates the fact that JBL always advertises its brand, regularly, without missing a month, it really matters....

But what I'm trying to say is that not everyone buy such mags, that they can get to know about JBL. I buy a couple, navin has once said that he does not. So, you also need to consider alternate ways of advertising.... I understand that huge costs are involved with this reco, but I'm only suggesting ways in which more people get to know about quality brands, and buy them. If you takes a good look at this forum, you'd realise not many want to look beyond Sony and Pioneer for a HU.... Rarely a few opt for Kenwood or JVC... Why? Coz it solves the purpose spending just 6-9k instead of looking to spend upwards of 10k for an Alpine, Clarion or others... Another reason being, I haven't seen Alpine or Clarion spend as much for advertising... It does come out on Auto mags too, but consistently, I doubt....

Have you [JBL India] considered Billboard advertising or print advertising [newspapers along with mags]?? It has a wider reach, people invariably see them on roads or on paper everyday, and that could be a start towards bringing in that needed visibility... These auto mags say that a lotta cars are being sold every month, and when these people who view ads on billboards/newspapers could recollect the brand name when they go scouting for car audio equipment, they MIGHT try the brand, and I guess once they've heard it, they might go for it... The need here is to get the people to know about the brand and listen to the equipment... Like Gunbir said, people who come looking for a 3000 buck sub, can also end up buying a 13000 bucks sub..... My only question is, why won't it work for JBL or any other leading [quality] brands for that matter???

I know of late, a few have starter making recommendations and giving suggestions, its so easy to do so, but we're doing it so everyone understands these quality products and get access to them...

Navinji, no offense intended here... Just wanted quoted your preference, I hope you don't misunderstand..

Lastly, Sam... I like 2 things that Gunbir said... 1) <Crap sells> Well, this is so true and we all know that... 2) <That they are commited to quality car audio>.... I know for sure that you are tooo.... I've never missed seeing the JBL ad at the back of that ACI mag, every issue...

Now, who's inchage or Alpine in India????
Old 16th September 2005, 15:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Navin, with reference to your post #39, you're saying that the service of Toyota is not very good??? I think I once read somewhere that they offer quality service to their customers and that they also have a "Any service under 3 hours" kinda program, and the service is so transparent, that customers can watch the service of their cars being done....

Was surprised to see you say they aren't as good....
Old 16th September 2005, 15:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Sam,
Look at the simpler stufff man...many persons decide on what they want to buy at the Car showroom itself....they see the models being played and decide which HU and speaker they want to purchase....sadly, JBL never crosses their minds since
1. It is NEVER at a display anywhere...including the local distributor
2. 90% of the persons dont even know the name of the brand....

hope something is done abt pt 1 soon
I would agree with Buff on this... I had been to Tata Concorde Motors a total of 4 times, to buy a car... While I was there at the showroom, I noticed that almost everyone buying a car from them [whatever car] headed to the accessories section to check out the accessories needed for the car and also got a demo of the Blaupunkt systems there.... How would these customers ever get to know of any other systems or brands available, when they get a complete deal on everything before they stroll out with their new ride???

Blaupunkt is no doubt a good system, but limiting the choice to just 1 isn't ideal.... Another interesting note was when I took a look at the cars coming in for service, most of 'em had pioneer ovals at the rear.... now, that isn't surprising, is it??
Old 16th September 2005, 17:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
LOL

Wow! you're coming to Hyderabad next week? That's half the problem solved!!!Give more details please

And about the biz....well! I could become serious depending on alot of factors.....Its like this. I have time to spare, money, zeal and I also like to think I've quite a brain but Car Audio would be a totally new field for me. Zero knowledge Zero Experience. So, I don't know. If money is good, I surely can, nah not can, I would love to get in...
You have something in mind? I'll PM my ID

Last edited by SoundManiac : 16th September 2005 at 18:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks