Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2005, 10:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

sam, this ones for you it's from Harmon

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2...rld_Harman.htm

u guys got a price on this.
Old 15th September 2005, 11:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This product won the award for best apple innovation. The first working model was put on display at the IFA in berlin this year.We are contemplating marketing it, but it will be priced at about 12000 to 15000 when recd. Do you think there's a market for it?
Old 15th September 2005, 11:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

dude, gunbir is selling some really expensive stuff. My guess is that if you get the right marketing for brands like Infinity they can outsell JBL. You know the number of guys who got dvd/video screens and never use them? that is your market. the guy who wants it and mightnever use it. he wants it becuase his neighbour does not have it (YET).
Old 15th September 2005, 11:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You know why we're number one in India? Because we carry products that sell **** units a month. lol
You know why Infinity will never outsell JBL? BEcause at 3000 bucks JBL will give you an erection! A mad rush!.

Infinity will provide you refinement. Now look at the country you live in. How many Navins in India and how many Not-Navins?
I can market infinity till I drop dead and it still wont outsell JBL trust me.
And we have to discourage people from buying JBL, cos we havent imported enough speakers. I like that kind of business. Music meets money.
AND i know that's music to my ears lol

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th September 2005 at 11:37.
Old 15th September 2005, 11:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Infinity will provide you refinement. Now look at the country you live in. How many Navins in India and how many Not-Navins?
and that is why Bose outsells everything else in audio. not to dish Bose (they sure have their marketing right) but their brand of "psychoacousitcs" leave something to be desired.
Old 15th September 2005, 12:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

No highs.... no lows...

Aha! Must be Bose!
Old 15th September 2005, 12:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

..... and rhymes with Nose!

for those who dont get this in the days when Bose took umbrage to all the Bose bashers we used to use Nose at our meetings. like "
Nose speakers S**K"

Last edited by navin : 15th September 2005 at 12:27.
Old 15th September 2005, 12:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

excellent product... I guess there would be a market for it sam, if the price is going to remain within the 12-15k bracket... It could sell better, if JBL india can package it along with an Ipod and sell it at a killer price... Packaging would be the idea, as an ipod put together with the drive+play console unit could go over 30k, and thats where the problem is...

Whatever bits i've gained from my BBA, even if this product does not have a mass market, it surely will carve a niche market for itself, similar to the Infinity brand...

Personally, i would love to get this... but after I get my 20gb ipod .... So atleast encourage personal requests at a later date...
Old 15th September 2005, 12:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

sam, the KCA 420i goes for 7K and the 410 goes for 9K so 15K is not all that much for a screen as well.
Old 15th September 2005, 12:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I can market infinity till I drop dead and it still wont outsell JBL trust me.
Don't Agree Sam! Right marketing makes the right Products sell.Don't have a proper opinion on the product Navin highlighted but would like to give an opinion on Infinity. If a customer can perceive that Infinity sounds better, he wouldn't mind paying for it. I myself have been dying to take a demo of Infinity brand in Hyderabad but to no avail. JBL 606 Compos cost 6000/- But I was game for Alpine at 7500/- if they sounded better. And surely wouldn't mind a lil more if Infinity gives me Better than Alpine/JBL.

Small point.
Can give an example from my own business line of Petrol Pumps of right marketing.
Diesel with Addittives (like Xtra Mile Super Diesel of Indian Oil) was launched by IBP by the name "SHAKTI." Was Costing Rs. 2.25/litre more than normal diesel. No Petro pump dealer wanted to introduce it as Diesel customer is very very price Sensitve and is know to shift Petrol pumps even for differences of just around 5 paise/litre!

I was the only one who put up my hand and said I would sell it. And sell I did beyond anybody elses's expectation. And my main customer was not the Diesel Car Owners as most expected but 7 Seater Passenger Autos(don't know if they are prevalent in Mumbai, but in Hyderabad on the highways they are a major rage and much prefered to Govt. Bus!) who fill not more than 10 litres of Diesel in a day! The quantity of "SHAKTI" sold will never match that of normal diesel but still it sells in quantity enough to make it a viable proposition.

Another Example from Audio World.

Tested out Soomoku Active Subwoofers the other day. 12" Active sub in box costs around Rs. 12,000/- and he's selling it in good enough numbers I'm told. I found the subs to be creating real loud noise but somehow wasn't very happy with quality - just found it to be making noise, and very loud noise at that. Noise is what some want and as soomoku is giving it, he's selling it!

So, if a customer can percieve, and only if he can perceive a difference in sound quality between infinity and others then diffinitely they'll sell.

Tell you what, when you launch JBL/Infinity anywhere take your Palio eyeballer along for inaugration, get a pic of it published in a paper and see the mad rush eye***** for your eyeballer. Max of those may say Ba##s to your Product for the price it quotes but for start it will get a sifnificant number of customers and I can't imagine the buzz it will create in the market!!!

Huh! A long post that! My intention was not to give you advise on anyting ( I'm the one who is and shall be taking your advice) but just to make a point - Infinity Can Sell!!
Old 15th September 2005, 12:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

NONONONO
the screen is not a "screen"
It is just a screen for the i-pod. An enlarged i-pod screen. Doesnt show any video.
Old 15th September 2005, 12:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sam, this website here says it would hit stores in september and would retail for $200, which should be around the same price when it comes here, + a few hundred bucks for import, and atleast retail around 10k na??? aap kya kehete hein??

http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=346
Old 15th September 2005, 12:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Few Hundred bucks for import and duty? Where do you think you live? Dubai?
Old 15th September 2005, 13:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

I mean, whatever it takes for bringing the drive play down here... and so you're saying it would touch the same figure you mentioned???
Old 15th September 2005, 13:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Don't have a proper opinion on the product Navin highlighted but would like to give an opinion on Infinity. If a customer can perceive that Infinity sounds better, he wouldn't mind paying for it. I myself have been dying to take a demo of Infinity brand in Hyderabad but to no avail. JBL 606 Compos cost 6000/- But I was game for Alpine at 7500/- if they sounded better. And surely wouldn't mind a lil more if Infinity gives me Better than Alpine/JBL.
SM, Sam isn't saying that Infinity won't sell or that it never sells, but his Q is how many guys are there like you who'd be interested to spend so much on car audio.... To most people I know, pioneer and sony are the only brands available for car audio and 90% of them go in for a complete pioneer set, HU, speakers and all, and wrap up everything under 10k....

A colleague in my dept recently bought an Alto and she has a horrible sounding pioneer setup, which he got done for 8500/-, including fixing and mdf board, etc.... To her, it sounds excellent...

That my friend, is the state of preference of the mass market for car audio in India..

Most Viewed