Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 17:48   #1
BHPian

ICE for SUV - Now with Media players

What do we have in our ICE today to Play Audio & Video ?

Typical systems consists of

1.DVD HU
2.5.1 Speakers
3.Video Head unit
4.Sub woofer in the back

The DVD HU on the dash board consists of the DVD player and we use the on board dash to playback all movies . Now imagine we are going on a 10 Hr long drive and want to carry a movie collection with us .We have to carry our entire collection of movies . These are prone for scratches and can also render them useless in the long run. The alternatives would be to take a back of the movies on DVD which again can get damaged .

So what’s the Alternative ?

Media players :

First of all these Media players can play any format in town . This can not only play Audio , Video , but also play photos . One can watch all Wedding photographs on the road and go down the memory line .Connectivity is simple with a USB thumb drive , USB HDD . We can easily carry up to 500 GB HDD . With DIVX quality movies ,we can carry 250 movies High quality movies depend on size . Most of the HD quality movies from Blue ray are ripped in MKV file formats .

What are the challenges ?

1.Size
2.Installation challenges
3.Remote ?
4.Connectivity

Size :
Today the Media players are smaller than the normal Amps which are fitted for the system .

Installation challenges
Most of the media players available in the market today accept a 12V DC .This means this can be directly fitted into the car 12V or a separate wire drawn from the Car batteries .

Remote :
Remotes is available with the Media players . They might be a bit bulky as these are done for living rooms and not for cars . The other side of the coin is that this will not get lost for sure .

Connectivity :

Most of the Media players available in the market have 5.1 Analog out or Optical out , not sure how many have a optical or coaxial in . They certainly have Analog In which can be passed for reference. High end systems have optical in to connect external players .

So how do we connect ?
The Media players pass

Audio : HDMI , Optical outs , RCA ( Stereo )

Video : HDMI , Component , Composite

Connections will be as follows

Media player - > Optical out to DVD Player HU Optical In -> For Audio
Media player -> Video Composite out to the Display unit

How do I get started ?

Switch on the HU , Media player , and the Display unit
Go to AUX in HU
Audio will come from the Aux out
Display unit will showcase the GUI of the Media player
Connect a External HDD or USB thumb drive to the Media player.
This gets selected . Browse the folder and select the movie u want to watch .
Any other connections in the Media player need to be checked .

What cars fit the bill ?
1.Toyota Innova
2.Scorpio
3.Tavera
4.Qualis
5.Fortuner
6.Endeavour
7.The list is endless …..

Last edited by navin : 25th February 2010 at 10:28.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

you forgot about carpc's

plus I'm not sure if higher capacity HDD's are supported via USB, due to current & storage capacity limits
Old 19th February 2010, 18:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Already know a lot of people using media players in their car, and I intend to do it too, in order to play flacs. The only problem I see is that the GUI of these media players displays very small text (works fine on large flat panel home displays) and is thus a little hard to read. This could also be dangerous to operate while driving.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:09   #4
BHPian

I picked up a Samsung Q2 16gb player to mainly play FLAC files via the aux in port on my HU (old,weak pioneer). The only problem being the output from the player at max volume levels is not enough and maybe needs amplification.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:15   #5
BHPian

Car PC issue is price .

Media players is a cheaper alternative to CAR PC .

Regarding size of the GUI, we have media players available where u can change the size of the GUI text . I plan to add a Media player shortly on my ICE .

Last edited by navin : 25th February 2010 at 10:29.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Ranga, do you or the organization you work for have a commercial interest in AC Ryan player?

If so, please declare your involvement in the ICE - Commercial Involvement Declarations thread. You may not promote on Team BHP the products that you represent.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Media players is a cheaper alternative to CAR PC .

Regarding size of the GUI, we have media players available where u can change the size of the GUI text . I plan to add a Media player shortly on my ICE .

The Media player i have in mind is from AC Ryan - Play on HD mini . Costs 7.7K INR and has all feature available on the box. ....
1. Watching Video in the car is a no no for the driver and is distracting for the driver if the front passenger is watching.

2. Also on Indian Roads with potholes and uneven surfaces the eye strain for the rear passengers might lead to eye trouble later in life. Like listening to very loud music for extended periods, personally, I would not recommend using vidoe in the car. I tried.

What B&T intends to do is install a system that allows him to play AUDIO in uncompressed (FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio) format. If Media players allow this in a plug and play format then they do make a lot of sense.

Currently the easiest method (for compressed audio) is using a ipod (or similar music player). A 160GB ipod will allow to you carry about 300 CDs worth of good quality audio. Some HUs allow multiple devices (I accidently managed to connect 2 ipods to my system) so, for example, I can carry about 600 CDs (CDA format CDs) worth of music (about 10,000 songs) with me. If one used a slightly higher degree of compression one could carry this same quatity on 1 ipod too.
Old 24th February 2010, 18:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What B&T intends to do is install a system that allows him to play AUDIO in uncompressed (FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio) format. If Media players allow this in a plug and play format then they do make a lot of sense.
Yes that is exactly my plan. The Xtreamer is what I intend to use. It works on 12V DC, and it takes a 500 GB 2.5" HDD internally. It has analog audio outputs which I will hook up to the AUX connection of my head unit. I'll need a small screen on the dash to operate it though. In AV head units with a built-in screen and AV inputs, the additional screen would not be required.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 24th February 2010 at 18:36.
Old 24th February 2010, 22:49   #9
BHPian

Xtreamer is a good brand.

You are right , you can add a internal HDD on Xtreamer . ( 2.5 inch HDD)

iPod is other option . I personally use the iPhone and very happy with the clarity u get out of the system for Audio . No second thoughts about it .

The only challenge we have is that the Video head units now available in the cars are not that great . GUI size matters . I agree that Video is not for first two seats and its purely for a the second and third row

Even a phone call during driving takes our attention out and i won't suggest video for drivers .

I have one nasty experience of the same while coming from Nasik to Mumbai . A good movie was on the bus and the driver got so engrossed with the movie and the song that while taking a turn in ghat section , he almost rammed into a on coming truck .

After this incident , the driver switched of the movie and started driving . Driving also means we need to be responsible at the end of the day

Last edited by navin : 25th February 2010 at 10:29.
Old 25th February 2010, 02:23   #10
BHPian

i have a question. there is a remote turn on wire in the head units which starts the amplifier when the head unit is powered on. what will happen with media player? it doesn't have a remote turn on wire !
Old 25th February 2010, 10:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I'll need a small screen on the dash to operate it though. In AV head units with a built-in screen and AV inputs, the additional screen would not be required.
But a good AV HU is hard to find most "good" HUs do not have AV screens do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Xtreamer is a good brand and uses the same chipset as AC Ryan Play on .
U are right , u can add a internal HDD on Xtreamer . ( 2.5 inch HDD)
Ranga, as a representtive of Ryan, as per TBHP rules you cannot dicuss the product unless asked a direct technical question.

This thread itself was in violation of TBHP rules. I have edited your posts so that it complies better. Also do not use SMS short forms for exmaple use "You" instead of "U" in your posts. It makes for easier reading.

Last edited by navin : 25th February 2010 at 10:30.
Old 25th February 2010, 13:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amangujral06 View Post
i have a question. there is a remote turn on wire in the head units which starts the amplifier when the head unit is powered on. what will happen with media player? it doesn't have a remote turn on wire !
No it doesn't. The discussion is about adding a media player to a head unit with aux input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
But a good AV HU is hard to find most "good" HUs do not have AV screens do they?
Alpine IVA 502
Old 26th February 2010, 10:23   #13
BHPian

Dear Navin

i will not discuss AC Ryan on this website in future . My apologies for the same . Unless some one personally pings , i am not going to talk about this product on this forum . Hope this is clear ..

Most Viewed