Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:48   #1
BHPian

DIY - Dash-mounting a GPS Unit in Maruti Suzuki Ritz

When I got my Mapmyindia Vx140 GPS unit in Sep 2009 for my Ritz, I first tried fixing the mount to the windshield. To my chagrin, I found that the suction mount dropped down after a few hours. Thank God, I did not fix the GPS unit to the cradle because I was apprehensive that the mount can drop.

Again the power lead running to the GPS unit from the car charger plugged into the cigarette lighter socket would have made it unsightly. Mounting it on the dashboard would be more secure and would also facilitate less obtrusive connection to the car charger.

Unfortunately, the dashboard of Ritz with its curving matt-finish plastic and no smooth/flat surface anywhere, made it difficult to mount the suction cup. The only smooth surface on the dash was the coin-box lid and even that is not flat.

To resolve this issue, I obtained a 10cm*10cm square table glass (3mm thick) and fixed it on to the coin-box lid with 3M Dual Lock velcro. On to this smooth glass base, I fixed the suction mount and the GPS. This has worked well for the last six months with no problems. (I can still open the coin-box but have to hold it and then close it smoothly. However, I seldom use the coin-box and hence not an issue.)

Here are the pictures.

DIY - Dash-mounting a GPS Unit in Maruti Suzuki Ritz-glass-base.jpg

DIY - Dash-mounting a GPS Unit in Maruti Suzuki Ritz-gps.jpg

And here is a writeup on 3M Dual Lock Velcro. 3M India does not manufacture this Dual Lock Velcro and one can buy from US vendors. ( Long back while in U.S.A., I had purchased a four strip pack - something like what is shown in the writeup - at Target and that came in handy to fix the glass base. )

Finally, whenever I leave the car unattended for hours together anywhere, I remove the GPS unit from the cradle, put it in a PDA case and carry it with me. The suction mount, I remove and hide it in the car itself. Anyone who peeps in can only see the glass base and more often than not he would not know what it is for. (Breaking the windshield/door glass to steal the GPS, when the tell-tale signs of its presence in the car -though hidden- are left in the form of a jutting mount on the windshield or dash, is common in U.S.A.)
Ponmayilal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:15   #2
J.Ravi

Excellent way of dashboard-mounting the navigator. Even I am not fully satisfied with the windshield-mounted suction holder of my MMI Lx130 navigator.

Old 23rd February 2010, 14:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very elegant solution to a common problem, @ponmayilal.

Actually there is a simple solution to the problem of vacuum-type windshield mounts falling off. Since the issue is imperfect vacuum due to irregular contact, making that plastic surface damp before mounting it gives a good hold. One can use vaseline (leaves an unsightly mark when removed) or water - I usually just blow (with mouth open, like doing hah-hah) on the surface of the suction cup, and it holds strongly till I take the mount off.

Surprisingly a China-made mobile mount has never fallen off in the last one year of rough driving, whereas almost all Garmin mounts do in the first 10 minutes.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is something so simple. I thought you custom fabricated the dash or something to accomodate the screen

DIY needs to be a little more of a 'do' with it

My opinion only. Sorry if any offense meant, but sincerely none intended
Old 24th February 2010, 17:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice idea, once again a simple one yet it took you to invent the wheel. Good Thinking. And damping the suction pad works quite well. I did it to my GPS mount and never did it fall over 5200 Kms of extremely bad roads to no roads.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:51   #6
BHPian

Nice idea, I was thinking of getting a dash mat gps holder from US, but after this I decided to implement the same thing in my WagonR. Can you let me know from where you got 3M Dual Lock velcro. (in bangalore?) and the total cost involved?
Old 19th March 2010, 12:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

OT : How much your GPS receiver cost?
Old 21st March 2010, 09:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
...... Can you let me know from where you got 3M Dual Lock velcro. (in bangalore?) and the total cost involved?
I had mentioned in my post that 3M India does not manufacture the Dual lock and that I bought it in U.S.A long back. You may place an online order on U.S. vendors or ask anyone arriving from U.S. to get it for you. Google "3M Dual Lock". The writeup by Andy Baird, an RV enthusiast, which I had referenced in my post also indicates possible sources. ( As an alternate you may try any good quality double-sided sticky tape. I tried but was not happy with it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
OT : How much your GPS receiver cost?
It is a MapMyIndia Vx140. List price Rs.15K. Through a promotional offer by Digit online store, I got it for 14K in Sep 2009. Refer to a whole bunch of discussions on navigators under "Shifting Gears - Gadgets, Computers & Software".
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:58   #9
BANNED

Re: DIY - Dash-mounting a GPS Unit in Maruti Suzuki Ritz

This is a great solution! Even i was having problems with the windshield mount of my mapmyindia navigator and i started looking for dashboard mounts. But this looks like a better solution. Thanks a lot.
I will try this on my car and post the pictures later
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Clever! I was expecting a major fabrication sort of thing for a mount - but this is so much simpler and definitely serves the purpose if a suction mount already exists.

I have a tablet PC which I fix it on windshield using a suction mount and it is a too heavy for such a set up especially on bad roads. So might look at this option some day!
Old 23rd January 2011, 13:53   #11
BANNED

This method did not work too well for me. :( I tried it with the double side sticky tape, which did not stay on the dash for long. The velcro strips you have used, look great, but the sticky tapes look hideous. I will have to buy a dash mount.
Old 24th January 2011, 13:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ponmayilal good stuff there pal. The job done looks real clean and looks a like a professional job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Actually there is a simple solution to the problem of vacuum-type windshield mounts falling off. Since the issue is imperfect vacuum due to irregular contact, making that plastic surface damp before mounting it gives a good hold.
Works really well and I was gonna suggest the same, you beat me to it though .
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:14   #13
BHPian

Thank you DMehta, androdev and rjstyles69 for your appreciation and bringing me back into this forum after a long hiatus, during which I was busy in the sevenforums dishing out my rantings at the rate of 1.48/day and in the processs earning the Seven Pro badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
This method did not work too well for me. :( I tried it with the double side sticky tape, which did not stay on the dash for long. The velcro strips you have used, look great, but the sticky tapes look hideous. I will have to buy a dash mount.
Double-sided sticky tape is not suitable. These not only look ugly but also will dry out soon due to exposure to direct sunlight.

One has to use the weather-resistant 3M Dual lock Velcro.

To this day I have no problems with my contraption in Ritz and almost all my driving is long-distance where it is continuousy exposed to sunlight for long hours.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:57   #14
BANNED

But like you said, the 3m dual lock velcro is not available in india, is it?
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

You can try 3M mirror mount tapes available easily in hardware shops selling sanitary ware and plumbing items and black table top glass as well IMHO.

Normal double sided tapes do not have much strength but 3M mirror mount tape is quite strong

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks