Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2005, 18:47   #61
BHPian

On a budget bu still want quality sound

Guys Off course i am on a budget, I have spent alreday 18,000 On my HU and speakers

What I found after listening to the system was the JBL GTO 606 and pioneer TS- A1681 are able to give nice bottom end if HPF on HU is set at 80 hz. with HPF off or at 50 HZ they distort quite alot.

So I am looking at filling that gap. No punch as my wife hates It. (BTW I have got the HU specifically for that) U can switch off or cotrol the sub +-6 DB independly through HU. The HU has dedeicated button for this.

What my laymans thinking is that for 91 db JBL fronts running on 22 watts from HU and 89 db sub on 40 watt of amp, the sound will even out across the spectrum. what is lacking on sub can be made up by equalizer for the time being.

See the setup will not cost me more than 1000+1500+500( Amp+Speaker+box)

If somebody has better solution to get me a sub below 3000 then I am all ears. Off course I will later shift the amp to Rear fills and get me a nice 4 channel amp for front and rear sub. and later as a last option some good sub.

But this change not due at least for a year.

AND GUNBIR - thanx for the spare wheel idea but I can n ot sacrifice my sparewheel. With sparewheel and jack hardy any space is ther to fit shallow 6" forget about a sub.
i can not loose the spare wheel as On weekends I drive down to pune.

Last edited by pranil : 3rd October 2005 at 18:49.
Old 4th October 2005, 00:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer 306C subwoofer is a VFM sub under 3k.
Old 4th October 2005, 09:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil
Guys Off course i am on a budget, I have spent alreday 18,000 On my HU and speakers

What I found after listening to the system was the JBL GTO 606 and pioneer TS- A1681 are able to give nice bottom end if HPF on HU is set at 80 hz. with HPF off or at 50 HZ they distort quite alot.

So I am looking at filling that gap. No punch as my wife hates It. (BTW I have got the HU specifically for that) U can switch off or cotrol the sub +-6 DB independly through HU. The HU has dedeicated button for this.

What my laymans thinking is that for 91 db JBL fronts running on 22 watts from HU and 89 db sub on 40 watt of amp, the sound will even out across the spectrum. what is lacking on sub can be made up by equalizer for the time being.

See the setup will not cost me more than 1000+1500+500( Amp+Speaker+box)

If somebody has better solution to get me a sub below 3000 then I am all ears. Off course I will later shift the amp to Rear fills and get me a nice 4 channel amp for front and rear sub. and later as a last option some good sub.

But this change not due at least for a year.

AND GUNBIR - thanx for the spare wheel idea but I can n ot sacrifice my sparewheel. With sparewheel and jack hardy any space is ther to fit shallow 6" forget about a sub.
i can not loose the spare wheel as On weekends I drive down to pune.

a sub setup at 3K with all the works? possible ?
Old 4th October 2005, 13:21   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir

No man... stay away from the pioneer subs... they suck big time...

You could use the Hertz Energy ES200 - 91dB.
Well, I heard the pioneer subs and they're OK. Especially for the price.

What is the price of this hertz energy subwoofer?
Old 4th October 2005, 13:40   #65
Team-BHP Support

Sam FYI the ES200 is an 8".
Old 4th October 2005, 13:49   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam FYI the ES200 is an 8".
yes mate..its an 8'', 200W rms SVC sub and costs around 5k..so way outta budget..
Old 4th October 2005, 21:03   #67
BHPian

Sam sound and sound reproducing equipment are like food. Everyone has a different taste and liking. And you tend to change your references as you come across and taste better "food".
Old 4th October 2005, 22:25   #68
Team-BHP Support

JB, i spent 4 years as a poor student. so poor we used to skip meals to make ends meet. we'd line up for the 99c deals from McD, Buger King, Wendy's etc... we did not care for this food but it was all we could afford...so food eaten is often a matter of budget.
Old 4th November 2005, 20:27   #69
BHPian

Dear Gunbir,

Got two pairs of Soomoku component speakers (don't laugh) installed in my Getz yesterday. These replaced the earlier speakers I had. Horrified to see eight guys, two at each door panel, pouncing on my poor automobile (I couldn't even put my neck inside to see what's happening), pulling wires, removing door panels, drilling holes etc... etc....

The outlet owner was a fairly reputed guy, and is brother-in-law of a high-end audio dealer in Bangalore. On the other hand, the installation crew consisted 16 year olds to 25 year olds (Niaz... Hafiz...Karim...etc...etc...) in rag-tags and hawai slippers.

In the end, I have no idea as to what has been done to my car. I know that the speakers were fitted on to M.D.F.-rings. I must admit that the sound indeed is very clean, though it lacks bass. My car-carpet had mud and foot-prints, and I spent this morning cleaning the same. The door-panels needed cleaning too. There were lots of cut wire-pieces, screws etc., lying on the carpet. Being a fussy guy who keeps admonishing my wife & children over car-interior cleanliness, I was not at all happy with this.

My problem now is, after fixing the M.D.F-ring and the slim, neodymium magnet based, Soomoku woofers, there is now a visible gap between the door-panels of my Getz and the corresponding metal doors on the rear side. Is this gap because of M.D.F-ring protruding (But I saw in this very thread that you recommended a M.D.F-ring for Getz), or my "installer crew" did not know how to fit back the door-panel correctly? If this gap is because of the M.D.F. ring protruding, is there any alternative way of installing the speakers?

I would be grateful for a reply.
Old 4th November 2005, 20:36   #70
Team-BHP Support

kspv, can you include a small pic. if the gap did not exist before those monkeys may have done some damage. BTW how does it sound?
Old 4th November 2005, 21:31   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
kspv, can you include a small pic. if the gap did not exist before those monkeys may have done some damage. BTW how does it sound?
u mean the 8 monkeys?

i would have first check teh whole setup and seen for mistakes and gaps. what if those guys were trainees and .

and where did u get the tweeter of teh compo fixed. Well, as Navin said, please post a pic, as its the first time we are getting a post about soomoku speakers install.

Last edited by jkdas : 4th November 2005 at 21:36.
Old 4th November 2005, 22:23   #72
Team-BHP Support

i just want to see the panel gaps. :-(
Old 4th November 2005, 23:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

KSVP

Re your funky 'monkey' install... No, its not right that any panel gaps appear. MDF rings installed correctly would not cause this. It seems either of these is possibel:

a. The MDF Ring is too thick. Though it is unlikely they would have used thicker than 1" MDF. Another possibility is that the ring is wider than required and is faulting with the plastic ring on the door panels inner side.

b. A more likely reason for the panel gap... There are many plastic locks on the door panel that secure the panel to the metal door. It is likely they lost a lock, or misaligned the panel so the lock isnt sitting in its intended place, thus causing the gap.

It is clear you love your car. Next time you go for an install try and have ample time on your hands and dont be rushed into anything. Some dealers will finish an install in 2 hours while some dealers will take 2 days. Eventually you get what you paid for. And If you paid for the installation, I recommend you throw your weight around and make sure they install on your terms, at your pace. Its your car, your money and you have every right to a quality install.

As a consumer please be more demanding. It will raise the quality of work out there and benefit our industry at large.

McLaren knows his way around the best installers in Bangalore. I suggest you contact him and maybe he can help you find a better installer.
Old 5th November 2005, 00:16   #74
Team-BHP Support

gunbir, funky monkey is the name of my wife's fav tattoo parlour in bandra, mumbai! :-)
Old 5th November 2005, 12:08   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine too! In fact it belongs to a friend!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks