Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 01:00   #1

Civic A/T steering mounted audio control

Hi,
I will be getting my civic A/T next week. Is it possible to have a addon steering wheel audio control for the audio system that comes factory fitted with civic A/T. Also do you think it's a good idea to do so as it may screw up the airbags system. I have seen a product from pac audio but it comes with wires. Is there a wireless option available? please advise.

thanks for reading.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

WHich HU are you looking at fitting in? You will need a dhas kit as well as a SWC from PAC.

*UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL BY PAC SWI-ALP (ALPINE, KENWOOD, JVC)*::*STEERING WHEEL INTERFACES*::*Dash Kits Harnesses*::*AUTOTOYS
Car Selector
Old 5th March 2010, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Dear Mahesh

Doesnt the Civic A/T comes with Steering audio controls by default? and if you take the PAC, its only the adapter but not the steering buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshNarayanan View Post
Hi,
I will be getting my civic A/T next week. Is it possible to have a addon steering wheel audio control for the audio system that comes factory fitted with civic A/T. Also do you think it's a good idea to do so as it may screw up the airbags system. I have seen a product from pac audio but it comes with wires. Is there a wireless option available? please advise.

thanks for reading.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:05   #4
BHPian

The wires from the PAC SWI unit will cause no hindrance to your airbags/steering, You are only going to connect the wires which are already present from the stock system to the adapter
Old 5th March 2010, 10:44   #5

Hi,
Civic A/T does not come with steering controls.
sorry i am a noob don't understand abbreviation. so what you are saying is that the switch comes separately. Do i need to buy the adapter from pac and switch from a different manufacturer? Can you please suggest some shop in delhi where I can get these and also the approx price. Also i did not understand the wiring part . Will the wires go through the steering wheel or would they stick out?
Old 5th March 2010, 13:10   #6
BHPian

Best thing you can do is to source an OEM steering wheel (which comes with all the mounted controls) from Malaysia and connect the steering mounted controls to the HU in place of the rear audio controls.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:53   #7

mkc15 I enjoyed the post you wrote about your honda Civic A/T experience. Congratulations on your dream car!!

I would like to know weather you feel the need for the steering mounted controls. Are they really necessary?
This car is the most valuable posession i have so i would like not to do any major changes like the one you suggested. I will go through it only is it is small change (cosmetic) costing not more than Rs.3000. I surely don't wanna screw up the balance. I wonder why honda misssed out on this. Do they have a valid reason? I don't think they did this to cut cost.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is possible to just import the switch gear from the US. You have to get a HELMS manual or similar to disassemble the steering wheel and then connect the wiring to the airbag wiring spool. You'll then have to create the wiring on the other side to the stereo. It's generally all plug and play. You just have to do some connector pinning on both sides.

It is not a job for the faint of heart. But it is still a DIY and is pretty straightforward if you're good with electrical/electronic work.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 5th March 2010 at 15:12.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
mkc15 I enjoyed the post you wrote about your honda Civic A/T experience. Congratulations on your dream car!!

I would like to know weather you feel the need for the steering mounted controls. Are they really necessary?
This car is the most valuable posession i have so i would like not to do any major changes like the one you suggested. I will go through it only is it is small change (cosmetic) costing not more than Rs.3000. I surely don't wanna screw up the balance. I wonder why honda misssed out on this. Do they have a valid reason? I don't think they did this to cut cost.
Thanx. Congrats on your Civic. I miss the steering mounted controls a lot; in fact, who won't? Honda didn't give it for cost factor ofcourse. If HU doesn't support more than 1 ext. control, they could have given a better HU (with steering mounted controls and wireless remote)
Old 7th March 2010, 17:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
It is possible to just import the switch gear from the US. You have to get a HELMS manual or similar to disassemble the steering wheel and then connect the wiring to the airbag wiring spool. You'll then have to create the wiring on the other side to the stereo. It's generally all plug and play. You just have to do some connector pinning on both sides.

It is not a job for the faint of heart. But it is still a DIY and is pretty straightforward if you're good with electrical/electronic work.
i have searched lot of threads on civic on team bhp still haven't found someone who has done this successfully ? has anyone done in this forum, if so can you give details of whats what ?
who doesnot want steering mounted controls for audio !!! ? Honda is tight lipped on how they could miss out in their CIVIC, if there is one thing i would like honda india to do in their CIVIC is add the steering mounted audio control first, and provide a option for existing owners to upgrade as well.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
i have searched lot of threads on civic on team bhp still haven't found someone who has done this successfully ? has anyone done in this forum, if so can you give details of whats what ?
Here you go ! Check this link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1428016

As you rightly said, who does not want steering mounted audio controls ? The steering in the picture looks so complete !

Last edited by rr_zen : 7th March 2010 at 19:47.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Search 8thcivic.com for a complete guide on how to do this. Currently the remote audio control connector on the HU is connected to the rear hand rest controls. You have to disconnect this to connect the steering mounted controls. It is not possible to have them both simultaneously.

Honda simply concluded that Civics in India are chauffeur driven more often than self driven.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:02   #13
BHPian

Re: Civic A/T steering mounted audio control

Quote:
Hi,
Is it possible to have a addon steering wheel audio control for the audio system that comes factory fitted with civic A/T.
I've been searching for the same thing myself.
My pre-worshipped Civic is a 2006 V/AT model - there were no audio controls on the steering at the time.

Honda guys have no clue as to whether they can supply the buttons or whether they can be installed.

But after searching, I came across this - HondaPartsNow

Can anyone confirm if this is actually the correct part?
If so, is any additional wiring or harness needed for the same - or just the switch will do?
Old 17th February 2012, 12:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

A quick thought - wont the City's steering mounted audio control switch not be a direct fit on the Civic ?
Old 17th February 2012, 12:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
A quick thought - wont the City's steering mounted audio control switch not be a direct fit on the Civic ?
They definitely would, thats what I have on my car's steering.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed