Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Help get Bass with Xplod Speakers

Gurus,

I need help, I have just installed Sony Xs-GTx69302 (3 Way 6x9 ovals 400 Watts) and Sony - Xs-GTF10252 (2 Way 10 cm Coaxials 130 Watts) mated with my old Pioneer Cassette HU. I expected good punchy bass from the xplods, but till now I have been very disappointed.

Please advise on how to get the best out of these speakers.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

the ovals should be able to produce sufficient bass.which head unit are you using ? i guess you are Not Using an amp.have you checked te settings on the headunit ?
Old 9th March 2010, 15:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
the ovals should be able to produce sufficient bass.which head unit are you using ? i guess you are Not Using an amp.have you checked te settings on the headunit ?
I have configured the settings on HU with Low +4, Mid -1, High +1
Loud has been set to Mid.
Am using Pioneer DEH 3400

Last edited by krazydriver84 : 9th March 2010 at 15:56. Reason: Model No.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

The ovals will not provide the kind of bass you are looking for. If they are mounted in a sealed box then the bass will improve. You need a sub and atleast a 2 channel amp to go with.

Pramod
Old 9th March 2010, 16:24   #5
BHPian

@ Pramod: They are mounted on a box, and yet am not feeling the punch. Is it necessary for me to get an Amp or will changing the HU resolve it?
Old 9th March 2010, 16:37   #6
BHPian

Which car? What is the power of Audio Head Unit? Its it 40x4? There must be BASS settings too.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:44   #7
BHPian

Hey Yogesh, Its a M800, Power of HU - 50x4
Bass Setting is via the equalizer which are the Lows, Mids and Highs.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
@ Pramod: They are mounted on a box, and yet am not feeling the punch. Is it necessary for me to get an Amp or will changing the HU resolve it?

Changing the head unit will impact your SQ but not the over all amplification and bass, Your speaker needs more power to produce audible bass to make you feel good about it. But sony speakers will jar the moment you pump up the volume. The most cost effective way of doing things here is get a used am and sub (both under 3k) get a decent sealed box for your sub and you are all set. You can later upgrade your head unit to a better CD player may be.

Edit: there are a lot of delhi bhpians who keep on upgrading, keep checking the classifides to find if any one is selling their subs and amps.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 9th March 2010 at 17:05.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:06   #9
BHPian

The Oval speakers are good, but the wooden box might not be at resonance. Bass will be more if you have a wooden plank (which might not fit for 800).
Pioneer DEH 3400 - radio / CD player: Toggle the Easy EQ button through the preset sound fields till you find "SuperBass" that lets you experience real bass!
The Audio Head Unit has trememdous output. If you still need more power, you may consider adding an additional Power Amplifier from Pioneer.
Also please check the Pioneer DEH 3400 output impedance and Sony speakers output impedance match well. For eg., if the AHU's o/p impedance is 8 ohms, the speakers o/p impedance should be the same. This is called load matching.

If you still need more bass, just go for additional Amplifer only for Sub-Woofer, this will save some money.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 9th March 2010 at 17:09.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please also check (before upgrading) that your speakers are "in-phase".
Old 9th March 2010, 18:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Changing the head unit will impact your SQ but not the over all amplification and bass, Your speaker needs more power to produce audible bass to make you feel good about it. But sony speakers will jar the moment you pump up the volume. The most cost effective way of doing things here is get a used am and sub (both under 3k) get a decent sealed box for your sub and you are all set. You can later upgrade your head unit to a better CD player may be.

Edit: there are a lot of delhi bhpians who keep on upgrading, keep checking the classifides to find if any one is selling their subs and amps.

Pramod
@ Pramod: I know what you meant by the sony speakers will start to jar when hit high volumes, this was the case when I was testing the 300 watt xplods in the car, but when i put the 400 watts, then I had very less practically negligible distortion.

Will keep an eye out in the classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
The Oval speakers are good, but the wooden box might not be at resonance. Bass will be more if you have a wooden plank (which might not fit for 800).
Pioneer DEH 3400 - radio / CD player: Toggle the Easy EQ button through the preset sound fields till you find "SuperBass" that lets you experience real bass!
The Audio Head Unit has trememdous output. If you still need more power, you may consider adding an additional Power Amplifier from Pioneer.
Also please check the Pioneer DEH 3400 output impedance and Sony speakers output impedance match well. For eg., if the AHU's o/p impedance is 8 ohms, the speakers o/p impedance should be the same. This is called load matching.

If you still need more bass, just go for additional Amplifer only for Sub-Woofer, this will save some money.
@ Yogesh: Can you suggest a power amp from pioneer (nothing very expensive) since am still not feeling the bass in the speakers after changing to SuperBass. How Do I load match my speakers? First How Do I find out the Speaker's and AHU's impedance?

Last edited by krazydriver84 : 9th March 2010 at 18:04. Reason: Question
Old 9th March 2010, 18:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Please also check (before upgrading) that your speakers are "in-phase".
I'd have to agree. Do one thing.

Take the wire of only one oval (any) and turn it around. Plus to Minus and minus to plus.

Be careful to do it in only ONE speaker, not both ovals. Let us know if the bass increases or decreases.
Old 9th March 2010, 19:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'd have to agree. Do one thing.

Take the wire of only one oval (any) and turn it around. Plus to Minus and minus to plus.

Be careful to do it in only ONE speaker, not both ovals. Let us know if the bass increases or decreases.
Hey Sam,

Gracias! I interchanged the wires in one of the speakers, and there wasn't typically an increase in bass but there was loss of vocals a bit so I switched them back to usual.
Please let me know if you want me to try some more stuff. I really would like it to be a bit more punchy.
Old 9th March 2010, 19:23   #14
BHPian

As you are going a lil upgrade to your ICE, lets take it step wise:

1) Check all speaker wires & insure they are in good health.
2) Check the way they are connected to HU's wire. Make sure + & - is correct
3) Check for no cross connections & shorts
4) Once ur have corrected first steps connect your speaker and recheck the sound
5) If still bad please post pics of your speaker box. May be its not right size. Also post pics of speakers.
6) Check with FM to make sure there is no other issue with your Player

Let us know how it goes.....

PS: I really dont think you need an amp as its an 800 unless you want to shake your neighboring car's glasses. Most of systems with good combination of speakers and speaker boxes can give you enough BASS you want.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:48   #15
BHPian

@Dev: Thanks man!
Will perform the necessary checks and post pics of the enclosure as well.
I like the idea about shaking my neighboring car's glass.
Actually I want bass, because I like to listen to a bit of rock and heavy metal. So am somehow not able to feel the thump. Hope you know what I am talking about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks