Team-BHP - Home Theater - Amp/woofer for Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Home Theater - Amp/woofer for Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/7708-home-theater-amp-woofer-car.html)

Audio Gurus,

Can you outline wat are the pros/cons of using the home theater setup for the car rather then routine amp/wooofer combo?

The reasons are that it you get the setup at much lower cost..isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
Audio Gurus,

Can you outline wat are the pros/cons of using the home theatre setup for the car rather then routine amp/wooofer combo?

The reasons are that it you get the setup at much lower cost..isn't it?

well mate, a home theatre...its a 5.1 setup right? thats 5 ( 1 FL, 1 FR, 1 RL , 1RR and centre) full range speakers ( maybe) and a sub

if i am not wrong u can do it in ur car. most car dvd players support dts or dolby and hence 5.1

pio has soem of which i am sure. pio even has the centre speaker. and ther r even 5.1 convertors.

i would say that the so called routine amp/woofer setup is almost a hoem theatre setup or u can call it car theatre setup :D

There are many reasons this wont work... some prominent ones are:

1. Your active home sub needs 230V AC, cant run in car without a power invertor. Even with an invertor, its an excercise in futility

2. Home drivers (at least the cheap 5.1 HT ones) are not designed to withstand the rigours of in car environment like extreme heat and vibration

3. Home speakers are designed for mainly on axis listening in a large(r) space. Unlike car audio where you are less than a couple of feet away and usually off axis

Not really a good idea...

Well I don't know all the technical stuff but I did something similar just with the speakers.

I had 150W RMS Aiwa Speakers at 6 Ohms impedance in my HOme setup. Not the cheap Aiwa India ones but original Aiwa from abroad. Connected them to my Sony 5100 HU.
There's a sea of difference in the sound i used to get at home(they used to rock the house) and in the car. The speakers let out good bass though. Clarity is bad. And the Highs are very subdued.

Wonder if that is of some help to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Well I don't know all the technical stuff but I did something similar just with the speakers.

I had 150W RMS Aiwa Speakers at 6 Ohms impedance in my HOme setup. Not the cheap Aiwa India ones but original Aiwa from abroad. Connected them to my Sony 5100 HU.
There's a sea of difference in the sound i used to get at home(they used to rock the house) and in the car. The speakers let out good bass though. Clarity is bad. And the Highs are very subdued.

Wonder if that is of some help to you.

I wonder if its coz of high RMS speaker at 6 ohm, coz obviously ur HU can't power it. You risk the damage of ruining ur HU. but the question is if..I get active amplifier home theater unit that can power the speakers and woofers..won't it work.

I saw a amazing sound in one of the cars with simple home theater...wow at only 4k stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir
There are many reasons this wont work... some prominent ones are:

1. Your active home sub needs 230V AC, cant run in car without a power invertor. Even with an invertor, its an excercise in futility

2. Home drivers (at least the cheap 5.1 HT ones) are not designed to withstand the rigours of in car environment like extreme heat and vibration

3. Home speakers are designed for mainly on axis listening in a large(r) space. Unlike car audio where you are less than a couple of feet away and usually off axis

Not really a good idea...

Though I agree with you but I think its a over-blown concept.

1. Home theaters like all other stuff run on DC, its just there's a rectifier in them to run from AC?

2. They way I look at it..most of speakers etc..aren't different in the way they are constructed, they look exactley like one in cars. Probably cud mounting/cushioning would help.
3. I agree..however playing with placements, I am sure they can turn out be real neat..does any one have experience with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
Though I agree with you but I think its a over-blown concept.

1. Home theaters like all other stuff run on DC, its just there's a rectifier in them to run from AC?

2. They way I look at it..most of speakers etc..aren't different in the way they are constructed, they look exactley like one in cars. Probably cud mounting/cushioning would help.
3. I agree..however playing with placements, I am sure they can turn out be real neat..does any one have experience with it?

For question no 1, the point here is that at home the mains can supply ample current for all your HT/audio needs but a car does not have this kind of luxury. The volt-ampere rating also comes into play. Remember, cars have just one small alternator and all your car's electricals and audio system have to be powered with that. Besides, drivers meant for home audio mostly have 8 ohm/6 ohm nominal impedance. If you use it in a car, it means that the amp (HU's internal or external) needs more power to drive it.

For question 2, they may look the same but car speakers will be built tougher to handle the vibration like gunbir has already said.