Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:26   #91
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Friends, finally I'm installing an Audio System in my Nano! I researched quite a bit and found out that Pioneer is accepted as the most reliable. I was also looking at Blaupunkt but did not get much details nor response from their Customer Care. Sony was a strict No. I searched most websites and the manufacturer sites and chose the following models -

1) Pioneer 1790UB - Aux, USB & CD - MRP 5990/- (snapdeal Rs. 4474/- . Tvm shop - Rs 5300/-)
2) Pioneer 3790UI - Aux, USB, Ipod, CD - MRP 6990/- (snapdeal - Rs. 4992/-, Tvm shop - Rs.6300)

I am not so interested in Bluetooth but thinking about it in the long run, will it be a blunder if I don't choose it? I initially thought CD drive ain't necessary but I have loads of CDs that I'l listen to. And I've read atleast some people opting for a purchase via Snapdeal. So I guess it should be reliable. Plus, can someone suggest me speakers for my car - Oval for rear parcel tray and 4" front speakers to be installed beneath the Dash?

I prefer JBL over other speakers as they are pretty good for the price. I don't intend to spend so much either. I did get a quote of Rs3800/- for two JBL oval speakers and 1,300 for a pair of 4" front ones too. But I did not note down the model numbers as i never had the thought of an online purchase untill now.

Can anyone help me out in this matter?

Thank you!
Old 2nd November 2014, 20:36   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
... but did not get much details nor response from their Customer Care ...
Please check at shops for what is available, not with Customer Care.

There are other brands also - Kenwood, JVC, Clarion etc. apart from Pioneer and Blaupunkt.

Please go through this thread as to what others have done for ICE in Nano.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:29   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Please check at shops for what is available, not with Customer Care.

There are other brands also - Kenwood, JVC, Clarion etc. apart from Pioneer and Blaupunkt.

Please go through this thread as to what others have done for ICE in Nano.
Thank you DerAlte. Yeah, I did check out the shops out here but most of them have very few models for single din systems. I checked out atleast 5 shops and all they have are just the basic few single din systems and most are 2 years old stock! JVC is no where to be found here in any shops and so is clarion. One Kenwood model I saw was a 2010 stock! I wish Trivandrum had better shops! Blaupunkt is not to be found either. So while I sent a mail through their website, I did get a helpful reply, hence the mention.

I went through the whole thread. I want the entire system to come under around 11k. After going through the thread, I'm right now searching more about co-axials and components to chalk out a suitable speaker configuration. I listen to classical music, Indian Film songs and jazz more. Rock, Metal, etc is very rare. I'm no audio techie expert so if you do have any suggestions, please do guide me.

Thank you!
Old 3rd November 2014, 01:06   #94
BHPian

Make sure you buy a bluetooth HU, since it is a very useful feature, not just for calls, but also for playing music from your phone.

As for speakers, decent quality components, such as Rockford Fosgate Prime Series, start at around Rs 8-9K. So if you're thinking components, plan for a slightly higher budget. One lesson I've learnt with ICE is that it is better to plan well and spend more the first time, to avoid unnecessary repeat spending for upgrades. Audition a few budget components and buy a set that suits your needs.

PS: I'm planning to sell my Rockford Fosgate Punch Series Components and Polk Audio Ovals in my scorpio, since I'm planning an upgrade. I have an ad out on OLX, and might put out something on Team BHP Classifieds as well. If you have someone in Delhi/Gurgaon, who can come over to check them out and buy, I can sell you the complete set for 12K. Let me know if interested

Quote:
Thank you DerAlte. Yeah, I did check out the shops out here but most of them have very few models for single din systems. I checked out atleast 5 shops and all they have are just the basic few single din systems and most are 2 years old stock! JVC is no where to be found here in any shops and so is clarion. One Kenwood model I saw was a 2010 stock! I wish Trivandrum had better shops! Blaupunkt is not to be found either. So while I sent a mail through their website, I did get a helpful reply, hence the mention.

I went through the whole thread. I want the entire system to come under around 11k. After going through the thread, I'm right now searching more about co-axials and components to chalk out a suitable speaker configuration. I listen to classical music, Indian Film songs and jazz more. Rock, Metal, etc is very rare. I'm no audio techie expert so if you do have any suggestions, please do guide me.

Thank you!
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I wish Trivandrum had better shops! ...
You have 2 options:
1. Drive down to Kochi - much wider choice available
2. Order online from Snapdeal or eBay, and get it installed in Trivandrum
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:26   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Make sure you buy a bluetooth HU, since it is a very useful feature, not just for calls, but also for playing music from your phone.

As for speakers, decent quality components, such as Rockford Fosgate Prime Series, start at around Rs 8-9K. So if you're thinking components, plan for a slightly higher budget. One lesson I've learnt with ICE is that it is better to plan well and spend more the first time, to avoid unnecessary repeat spending for upgrades. Audition a few budget components and buy a set that suits your needs.

PS: I'm planning to sell my Rockford Fosgate Punch Series Components and Polk Audio Ovals in my scorpio, since I'm planning an upgrade. I have an ad out on OLX, and might put out something on Team BHP Classifieds as well. If you have someone in Delhi/Gurgaon, who can come over to check them out and buy, I can sell you the complete set for 12K. Let me know if interested
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm settling down for a simple setup right now!
Quote:
You have 2 options:
1. Drive down to Kochi - much wider choice available
2. Order online from Snapdeal or eBay, and get it installed in Trivandrum
Yes, i'm settling for option 2.

1) Pioneer 1790UB (I'm also checking a one with Bluetooth)
2) JBL GT6 S699 6x9 rear full range speakers/ GTO S949
3) Front JBL CS4/ Pioneer GT 414 4" speakers - fit beneath the dash board.

The whole thing will cost less than 10k as I don't want to invest much on this car now. As soon as I order, i'l put in the details. Here, I'l be able to install the whole setup for around 1k. And I found a better shop called Car Park near Overbridge. I may install it with them.

Will be ordering it tonight and hoping to getting it delivered soon. I'l put up the pics as soon as i do the install.
Thank you all!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 21:37   #97
BHPian

Don't fit the 4" beneath the dashboard. If you must go for coaxials, at least go for 6" round coax speakers installed on the front door, by cutting into the door pocket. Ask the installer to mark, use a heat gun on the trim, and then cut the heated trim with a blade. Please make sure to put in at least the most basic damping sheet on the door before installing the speaker. I know this will somewhat increase your budget, but you will get appreciably better sound
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:00   #98
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Don't fit the 4" beneath the dashboard. If you must go for coaxials, at least go for 6" round coax speakers installed on the front door, by cutting into the door pocket. Ask the installer to mark, use a heat gun on the trim, and then cut the heated trim with a blade. Please make sure to put in at least the most basic damping sheet on the door before installing the speaker. I know this will somewhat increase your budget, but you will get appreciably better sound
Hmm Thanks for the suggestion! I just realised your 6.5" inch installation was on the door! That looks pretty neat. I thought it might be a bit too huge but looks just fine. For a 6" co-axial, I might just have to shell out 1k more which is perfectly fine! But I hope they cut the doorpads well which is the only worry I have.
Old 3rd November 2014, 23:11   #99
BHPian

That and you need to make sure they damp the doors, which is a further 2K more. But trust me, the money and effort is well worth it. Please make sure you buy plenty of extra trim clips from your local Tata service center. Those trim clips on the Nano are a different double-headed variety that you don't get in the market.
Old 5th November 2014, 23:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
That and you need to make sure they damp the doors, which is a further 2K more. But trust me, the money and effort is well worth it. Please make sure you buy plenty of extra trim clips from your local Tata service center. Those trim clips on the Nano are a different double-headed variety that you don't get in the market.
Three of the shops I enquired said they can't install anything above 4 inches on the front doors! I may have to settle for the 4 inch ones if i don't find someone confident enough to install 6" or atleast 5.25".
Old 6th November 2014, 00:12   #101
BHPian

You can install 6 inch coax in the front doors using two mdf spacer rings one on top of the other for each door. That's what's been done in my car. It works perfectly fine
Old 6th November 2014, 00:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't take power from the Bat lead of the HU - the sub amp will have a sizable current draw. A better practice is to wire a separately fused wire from the battery directly. Not sure, but the sub amp will require an signal from the HU to turn itself on. If so, connect the Remote Turn-on signal of the HU used for motorized antenna and amps.
It is clearly stated in the Owners manual and on the battery cover as well that NO wires should be connected directly to the battery. If the service station see any wires connected directly it will void your warranty so do be careful.
The reasoning behind this is that the battery is underpowered anyway (most Nano owners who have replaced their batteries have usually gone with an M800 battery) and the most important is that it could lead to a fire.

Regards,
SS
Old 6th November 2014, 14:55   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
It is clearly stated in the Owners manual and on the battery cover as well that NO wires should be connected directly to the battery. If the service station see any wires connected directly it will void your warranty so do be careful. ...
Please talk to the Service Center first. If done professionally, there is no risk, and they don't mind it. If one buys from the dealer's accessories person, they do the same. "Warranty will be void if ..." is a threat most dealers make without knowing what they are talking about, but they look the other way if they are doing what they warn you about.

Quote:
... The reasoning behind this is that the battery is underpowered anyway ...
What makes you say that? Don't the Tata designers know their job? Or are people who know nothing about battery sizing better placed to declare a battery "underpowered"?

Anyhow, power to the accessories is actually supplied by the alternator when the engine is running. And that Nano alternator is adequately sized to handle the power needs of ICE (about 40W).

It is only when the engine is off that the battery supplies the power. In any case, one doesn't recommend playing the ICE with engine off, just so that battery is not drained to a point it can't crank the engine.

Quote:
... and the most important is that it could lead to a fire. ...
Err... why? What would cause the fire?
Old 7th November 2014, 22:54   #104
BHPian

Hi DerAlte

Quote:
Please talk to the Service Center first. If done professionally, there is no risk, and they don't mind it. If one buys from the dealer's accessories person, they do the same. "Warranty will be void if ..." is a threat most dealers make without knowing what they are talking about, but they look the other way if they are doing what they warn you about.

I tried talking to the service centre. I wanted to fit extra fog lights. They point blank refused.
I asked about fitting an amp. Same answer. NO!!

What makes you say that? Don't the Tata designers know their job? Or are people who know nothing about battery sizing better placed to declare a battery "underpowered"?

Anyhow, power to the accessories is actually supplied by the alternator when the engine is running. And that Nano alternator is adequately sized to handle the power needs of ICE (about 40W).

This as told to me by a reputed battery dealer. Says that most Nano batteries die after 2.5 to 3 years max when other cars batteries last much longer.

It is only when the engine is off that the battery supplies the power. In any case, one doesn't recommend playing the ICE with engine off, just so that battery is not drained to a point it can't crank the engine.

Err... why? What would cause the fire?
A short circuit! This has happened to me. Not the fire, thank God but something pretty close when my headlight relay and wiring melted and so did the main battery cable insulation. This was on my Swift. The fuse did not blow but melted instead. I consider myself extremely lucky!

Anyway, the Tata guys are paranoid about the Nano catching fire so maybe that's why they have all these "do's" and "don't" in their warranty booklet.

Regards,
SS
Old 8th November 2014, 11:25   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, the Tata guys are paranoid about the Nano catching fire so maybe that's why they have all these "do's" and "don't" in their warranty booklet.
1. Think of a battery as a capacitor. It stores just enough power for cranking. It recharges once that power is depleted. Which is why you do not run lights, air con, ICE etc with the engine off or you may risk discharging the battery to the point where it cannot crank your engine

2. Yes the Tata guys are more paranoid than most others but almost every manufacturer has boiler plate clauses in their warranties. This is because the manufacture has NO control over who can/will make alternations sensibly or poorly. A poor alteration can damage even the best built cars, a sensible alteration should work even is cars that are designed with a low price point (aka more corners cut).
navin is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks