Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2005, 12:15   #106
BHPian

Subwoofer in a sealed box will always sound better than the tube type arrangement.
Old 7th October 2005, 13:29   #107
Team-BHP Support

Minor difference: A subwoofer in a sealed box will sound tighter and better defined than most ported subs. Some may like that others may prefer more boom and less definition. Not everyone loves olives.
Old 7th October 2005, 15:39   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Minor difference: A subwoofer in a sealed box will sound tighter and better defined than most ported subs. Some may like that others may prefer more boom and less definition. Not everyone loves olives.
Subwoofer in a box will require more power than the one with the ported box. I see that many folks in India buy underpowered amps, and want "BOOM", for them ported sub is the best, as they really dont care about distortion!
A sealed box is recommended for folks who want more definition, as the vacumme behind the sub, in a sealed box leads to less distortion. However more power is required to move this sub, as opposed to ported as the air is not pushed out.
End of the day, I would recommend "Ported" box for those who want to impress their freinds, listen to hip hop etc! And sealed for those who want more definition and tighter bass!

Last edited by aseem : 7th October 2005 at 15:40.
Old 7th October 2005, 17:52   #109
Team-BHP Support

unless, asseem, the friends are not impressed with boom but with definition :-) ha ha ha
Old 7th October 2005, 18:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_baghe
I got the price list of the stuff you people suggested from the market (Mumbai).

pio 7750 HU - Rs 9350
pio 6100F 4 ch amp- Rs 7250
Wiring (city link) -Rs 1000
Copper wire for sub - Rs 400
Kicker Sub woofer 12" Rs 6000 OR JBL tube - Rs 6000 ( grey price)
Sealed subwoofer box - Rs 900

Note: All the items are without B&W
Are the rates mentioned above fine? if not then plz give me apprx rates i should look for.

I asked this guy from whome i got price list, regarding JBL tube performance. According to him, JBL tube is useless and people are fed up of JBL tubes. He prefers Kicker 12" sub in sealed box in the boot of my accent.
Is this guy correct.
Dude the prices are overpriced!

Of the lil I know, the JBL tube is for 4.5k gray, and Pioneer 6100F I bought for 7k. I am not aware of the prices of the other products you have mentioned here.
Also consider Sony 7700/8800 in the price range for your HU, they have a better display and a 4V pre out as opposed the the Pioneer with 2.2 V pre out. Also the display of the Pioneer is a lil hard to read in sunlight and lil irritating in the night!

Last edited by aseem : 7th October 2005 at 18:09.
Old 7th October 2005, 18:20   #111
BHPian

As for the Pioneer HU price, Buffetfan bought it for Rs. 9700/- odd some time back, I got it for around Rs. 9500/- yesterday (my price cannot be indicative as I was exchanging it for a week old system taken from the same dealer - couldn't drive a bargain.) My experience also says not worth bargaining for 200-300 bucks. Keep the relationship happy and get good service. See! I could get my system changed even after one week!!!

And as for Sony HU. Read sony read error thread . Pioneer is generally supposed to be best in reading CD's. My own personal experience with my sony CD changer would suggest stay away from it! Rest is your choice.
Old 7th October 2005, 21:20   #112
BHPian

aseem bhai, i am planning to put sealed kicer 12" sub in the boot of my accent along 6100F pio, with 2 channels powering my rear speaker and two channels powering the sub, that is 60 x 4 overall setup. What do you recemmond, sub in tray or sub in boot in a sealed box?

Thanks.

Getting to learn a lot from gurujis!!!
Old 7th October 2005, 21:25   #113
BHPian

aseem ji, by ported box do u mean the subwoofer box with a hole in it?
Sorry for such a unprofessional quesstion to a professional!! But i need to learn from the professionals, isnt it.
comment on post #112
Old 7th October 2005, 21:30   #114
BHPian

further an addition to post #112. aseem bhai, navin ji as u mentined regadring underpowered amp and amps in the sealed, in you post #108. Do ou personally feel pio 6100F is underpowered for kicker 12" after reading the post #112 of mine
Old 7th October 2005, 21:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_baghe
aseem bhai, i am planning to put sealed kicer 12" sub in the boot of my accent along 6100F pio, with 2 channels powering my rear speaker and two channels powering the sub, that is 60 x 4 overall setup. What do you recemmond, sub in tray or sub in boot in a sealed box?

Thanks.

Getting to learn a lot from gurujis!!!
For this and this setup only I recommend going in for a ported (box with a hole) box. I have Pioneer 6100F as well, and it runs out of steam powering a sub in a sealed box. It clips! So you are better of going with the ported box for now. That would be my suggestion. If you could afford a dedicated mono block for the sub, than definitely a sealed box would suffice!
Old 7th October 2005, 23:48   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
For this and this setup only I recommend going in for a ported (box with a hole) box. I have Pioneer 6100F as well, and it runs out of steam powering a sub in a sealed box. It clips! So you are better of going with the ported box for now. That would be my suggestion. If you could afford a dedicated mono block for the sub, than definitely a sealed box would suffice!
Aseem, some questions re your setup:

a. what Pioneer sub? Free Air or Closed model?
b. what box volume, mdf thickness, damping used?
c. What is the gain setting on your amp? How have you calibrated this setting?
d. If DVC, what is your wiring?
e. What guage power cable to your amp?
f. What is the preamp voltage "seen" by your amp?

While I eagerly await your reply, at the outset I can clearly see your "clipping" issues are due to a bad install...
Old 8th October 2005, 10:16   #117
Team-BHP Support

Aseem a 6100 puts out in excess of 100W/4 ohms in bridge mode. Now assuming that your sub in a sealed box has a sensitivity of 87db. you will be producing 107db (87db+20db) in your car before the amp clips. those are loud levels.

BTW a ported box is a box with a tube in it. the tube is tuned to the complement the resonant frequency of the woofer in the Vb.
Old 8th October 2005, 15:17   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Aseem a 6100 puts out in excess of 100W/4 ohms in bridge mode. Now assuming that your sub in a sealed box has a sensitivity of 87db. you will be producing 107db (87db+20db) in your car before the amp clips. those are loud levels.

BTW a ported box is a box with a tube in it. the tube is tuned to the complement the resonant frequency of the woofer in the Vb.
Navinji, actually the amp was clipping at loud volumes as the gain was not properly set by the installer. However the issue was fixed after consultation with Sam and setting the proper gain
Old 10th October 2005, 22:54   #119
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for all those wonderful seggestions. Now as aseem bhai said, to go in for a ported box. Recemond me some specific type of ported box costing aroud Rs1200.

My system:
pio 6100f, driving rear speaker and kicker 12" sub.
HU pio7710

Ported box has to be recemonded for 12" kicker sub.
Old 11th October 2005, 10:10   #120
BHPian

Amit, how much did the Kicker sub cost you? How much is the 10 inch sub?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks