Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2005, 04:20   #1
BHPian

advice needed: car audio in hyundai accent

I own a hyundai ascent CRDi and always wanted to have a great car audio. I am planning to upgrade my car audio system. At present i have pioneer REV range (yellow ones) as my car's rear speaker.
Within a budget of 25k i need to get
1). 4-channel amplifier
2). subwoofer/bass tube
3). headunit.

I need advice from audio gurus.

Doing a bit of market survey, i have planed to install
1.) 4-channel amp
Blaupunkt GTA 470(Rs9500) OR JBL CS 50.4 (Rs 9500)

2) CS 1200T 12" jbl bass tube(Rs 6500) OR 12" Apline subwoofer (Rs 6000)

3) Blaupunkt HU (Rs 8500)OR PIONEER HU (Rs 8000)

Please comment of the configuration which i plan to install.
Suggest me some other configurations within 25k, which are better than my finding.

I have one doubt:
If i plan to go for a jbl 12" bass tube in the boot of my ascent CRDi, will it give more effect than a subwoofer in the tray OR subwoofer in an enclosure in the boot

Guide me guru log!!!
Old 29th September 2005, 10:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Dear Amit,

I wish all of us were so clear in our communication. Your post is perfect. It is clear and concise.

Unfortunately the only really valid/good advise i can give you is to listen - audio is a matter of taste - and by that I mena listen to our ears.

I have the GTA450 in my wife's car driving her small subs and I think it is a fine amp. unfortunately i only have compared that amp to a Sony 504 and a Alpine 340 and not to the 50.4. My guess is both will be satisfactorily.

Again as far as woofers goes I have heard the Alpine but not the JBL. I prefered the Alpine to a Blaupunkt but eventually dropped both as nether conformed to the space i had available in my car. Today I use 2 8" bass tubes from blaupunkt.

Between the Blaupunkt and Pioneer HU the only real drawback of the Pioneer is the lack of a manufacturer warranty. Blaupunkt is backed by Mico and in my opinion i think Mico provides the best service bar none not even Alpine (the HU I have). Unfortunately I have heard (again from sellers of competing brands) that this serivce is needed, meaning that Blaupunkt is having some quality control issues. This information is about a year old and my insticnt tells me that Mico should have rectified this by now.

I wish I was as clear as you were in your post.

Regards
Navin

PS. A sub mounted on the parcel tray will give you more BOOM than a sub mounted in a box (sealed or ported). Most tubes I have seen are ported.

If you want BOOM go for the parcel tray. If you are willing to sacrifice BOOM for more definition in the bass get the tube/sealed sub.

I recommend the tube for only 2 reasons.

1. the ported sub can easily be converted to a sealed or aperiodic sub by stuffing the port and hence tuning the bass peak that many ported subs have

2. a tube is a lot lighter to lift in casey you want to temporarily remove it to accomodate bags and since it has few sharp edges it is less likely to hurt you in the process of removal and refitting.

Last edited by navin : 29th September 2005 at 10:07.
Old 29th September 2005, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Hi Amit,

I believe you car is saloon...(not ViVa CRDi).

Regarding the subwoofer install. Install the subwoofer in parcel shelf of the car (Free Air). Make sure you make a custom parcel tray out of MDF, tighten it with the metal tray with foam sandwitched between the two (for damping). Make sure that there is no leakage between passenger cabin and boot).

Installing subwoofer in this way will give you more definition in bass and will be more musical. If you use a good quality subwoofer there will be no problems in the sound.

The boot way is also good but for that you need to damp your boot (to avoid vibrations), and you need much more power to get the bass inside the cabin. Also the bass tend to loose its definition.
Old 29th September 2005, 12:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

JB, what if the sub was ported into the cabin via a nice tube in the center of the rear parcel deck. most parcel deck installs i have seen/heard vibrate like crazy.
Old 29th September 2005, 12:35   #5
BHPian

That can work out no problem with that...it works the best when sub is mounted firing through the seat through a ski hatch. This way you get better bass...Accent does not have a ski hatch...
Old 29th September 2005, 12:39   #6
BHPian

thanks navin ji and autophile ji for your suggestions.
It seems to be clear that go for a subwoofer in the tray rather than in the boot.

Navin ji, i had another doubt regarding sealed or ported enclosures. I am unable to make the difference between the two.

It would be nice if u can tell me the difference between the two types of setups.
And if u can post pictures of the sealed/ported setups, things would be much more clear to me.
Old 29th September 2005, 12:43   #7
BHPian

The difference between sealed box and ported box is as follows :

1. Sealed is smaller than ported
2. Sealed has more linear frequency response than ported
3. Sealed needs more power
4. Ported is louder than sealed

If you need loud bass go for ported...if you like tight bass then go for sealed. I personally like the sound of sealed boxes.

Last edited by Autophile : 29th September 2005 at 12:49.
Old 29th September 2005, 12:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

a sealed box is a box that has only the woofer in it. a ported box (also called bass reflex) has one or more 2"-5" holes with a tube as well.

a ported box takes advantage of the fact that the rear wave of the sub is being"wasted" as it is contained withing the box. the tube is designed so that this rear enegy leaves the box. the tube is designed to filter the rear energy so that this energy appropriately.

A woofer in a sealed box is however in better control as the air mass behind the woofer is fixed (in a ported box the air mass behind the woofer is not fixed as the port allows air tomore freely from inside the box to out and vice-versa). With a fixed air mass the spring effect of this air mass prevents the woofer from loosing control.

so ported boxes are more efficient but the woofer can loose control, while sealed boxes are less efficient but the woofers can be worked harder before the loose control.

I hope this is simple enough. JB can provide you with bunch of theorms and equations to satisfy your mathemiatcal needs :-). Just kidding!
Old 30th September 2005, 17:23   #9
BHPian

hi navin,,
i am a installer in delhi,,
i have dealerships for blupankt, sony, alpine, kenwood, and all other brands,,
but i can asure u that the amount of features available in pioneer in x amount are more that any other brand,,, i sell all the brands but pioneer and alpine r my favorites,,,
the sound in pioneer, i personally feel, is the best,, and u will be surprised the entry level single cd head unit by bloupunkt(it is the highest selling head unit, and the most reliable)is made by pioneer, , u can open the stereo and check it urself, , and the price we sell BP at, u can easily purchase 2 pioneers, so why do u need the warranty..
and i am yet to see a pioneer head unit malfunctioning due to use,, they all manfunction due to abuse,,, that is something no company can gurantee
do u like the BP interfece,, they dont have any features,, and trust me if u just replace the head unit to a pioneer and dont do any other alteration u will be shoked by the improvement in sound...
regards,,
DRIVEN
Old 30th September 2005, 17:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Driven where are you located in Delhi? Are you working with Gunbir and JB.
Old 30th September 2005, 17:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven
and u will be surprised the entry level single cd head unit by bloupunkt(it is the highest selling head unit, and the most reliable)is made by pioneer, , u can open the stereo and check it urself, ,regards,,
DRIVEN
Hi Driven,

I've opened the unit before. How do you say it's made by pioneer??? How can you see this?
Old 30th September 2005, 19:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

I figured both Pio and Blau would get the units made by the same or similar OEMs in China. Everything I see 'cept my wife and son seem to be made there (china) nowadays! LOL
Old 30th September 2005, 20:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

linking another accent thread
Old 1st October 2005, 03:06   #14
BHPian

thanks all of u for your suggestion.

As i told that i have pioneer REV range (yellow speakers). Pioneer claims that it is 350W PMPO, but according to my finding the true power is 80W RMS (one speaker) , i.e around 160W RMS both speakers. Most probably i would install 12" Alpine subwoofer in the parcel tray.

Try to give me a final verdict on which of the following amps should i go for.

1. Blaupunkt GTA 470 (Rs 9500) [75 x 4 RMS]
2. JBL CS 50.4 (Rs 9500) [80 x 4 RMS]

I hope the RMS power for the amps which i am writing are correct.
Can u suggest me any other amp better than my selection but below Rs 9500
Old 1st October 2005, 03:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_baghe
Most probably i would install 12" Alpine subwoofer in the parcel tray.
Hey Amit, we have used a few Alpine subs and they need massive power to move. also, if I remember correctly, they are not really good for IB (tray?) installs. Alpine designs them for sealed enclosures.

I have heard an Alpine Rtype 12" in a tray install in an accent and it was not good. I suggest you look around for some other subs.

Most Viewed