Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Switching Circuits when the amp is on??

Hi,

I recently installed a sub and amp in Primus (Swift Vdi). The following was installed
JBL GT5-10 Sub
JBL GT5 S644 Amp

A week after installation I was reading the 2 page leaflet that comes with the amp and decided to tune the amp myself since I found the bass in adequate for some songs and too boomy for others.

This is what happened and now it worries me a whole lot.
While the amp was on and powering the compo's upfront and the sub at the back I switched circuits for the front from High Pass to Flat. Didn't like the way it sounded to switched back to HP. There was a disturbance in sound coming from the compos for a small duration (as though there is a carbon buildup on a volume knob of an old amplifier). Played ok then..

Did the same thing with the rear channel. From LP (Sub) to Flat (didn't make too much of a difference at the volume I was listening to) and then back to LP (Sub).

Now is where the fun begins. I did not touch any of the tuning screws as I had to go back into the office to finish some work.

Come evening and I am heading home and now the sub sounds good with the songs where it sounded in adequate and quite loud on the other songs.. Did change the settings on the HU (HP on the HU as well as woofer control).

Now the sub setting on the HU is at 0 and HP is set at 50Hz. And yet it sounds very loud and boomy (at times).

Could I have damaged the amp or filters / circuit by changing it when the amp was on and powering the sub and compos??

I even hear a little (very very little) distortion from the sub. With the boot open as well the sub is pounding good bass, which wasn;t the case before!!

How do I figure out what the deal is??
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Subs work as high as 100-200Hz.
Low pass the sub at 80Hz, man.
And since you have 6.5's, high pass the components at 80Hz as well.
PS: Please tell me you haven't high pass'd the fronts at 50.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
Come evening and I am heading home and now the sub sounds good with the songs where it sounded in adequate and quite loud on the other songs.. Did change the settings on the HU (HP on the HU as well as woofer control).

Could I have damaged the amp or filters / circuit by changing it when the amp was on and powering the sub and compos??

I even hear a little (very very little) distortion from the sub. With the boot open as well the sub is pounding good bass, which wasn;t the case before!!

How do I figure out what the deal is??
There is very little chance that you have damamged the amp or subwoofer.

What were the HU's and Amps Xo an EQ settings before and after you did this tuning? If your subwoofer is distorting it might be becuase it is being pushed beyond it's physical limits.
Old 25th March 2010, 18:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There is very little chance that you have damamged the amp or subwoofer.
Thats a good thing "very little chance"

Quote:
What were the HU's and Amps Xo an EQ settings before and after you did this tuning? If your subwoofer is distorting it might be becuase it is being pushed beyond it's physical limits.
Before
AMP XO: Don't remember
HU EQ: Custom Setting with Bass and Higher Mids at +2, Mid Lows at 0 and Highs at -1 (tweeter of compos upfront set at 0db on cross over and yet can get irritating)
HU SUB HP at 80Hz at +2

After
AMP XO:50% for Sub
Level Input: 50% for Sub
HU EQ: Custom Setting with Bass and Higher Mids at +2, Mid Lows at 0 and Highs at -1 (tweeter of compos upfront set at 0db on cross over and yet can get irritating)
HU SUB HP at 50HZ at 0
Old 26th March 2010, 09:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
Before
AMP XO: Don't remember
HU SUB HP at 80Hz at +2

After
AMP XO:50% for Sub
Level Input: 50% for Sub
HU SUB HP at 50HZ at 0
1. On the HU EQ; dont you have any HPF on? You should.
2. On the Amp XO what is 50%? Do you mean the knob is between 32Hz and 320Hz? That means it is close to 100Hz.
3. The tweeter must have a passive XO. On hte passive XO is there not an option to lower the tweeter level? If so use it, esp since you find the tweeter irritating.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
1. On the HU EQ; dont you have any HPF on? You should.
2. On the Amp XO what is 50%? Do you mean the knob is between 32Hz and 320Hz? That means it is close to 100Hz.
3. The tweeter must have a passive XO. On hte passive XO is there not an option to lower the tweeter level? If so use it, esp since you find the tweeter irritating.
yes, the knob is between 32 and 320 hz.
the crossover unit for the compos have a 0db and +3db setting. I have set it at 0db.

On the HU I have a HPF set at 80hz as well as well as sub HP at 50hz

Most Viewed