Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2010, 17:16   #1
BHPian

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117

After a lot of thought with SQ as my priority, I decided that the HU in my car the JVC AVX800 needs to be replaced. My search began for a new HU and keeping in mind the rest of the equipment which I already have the new HU should compliment the rest.

The choices I had were the Eclipse 7200MkII, the Alpine 9887 and the Pioneer p80rs.

My requirements were SQ, Ipod connectivity, USB. I do listen to Audio CD's but my main source of music was my IPod and sometimes my USB, so out of all the sources I wanted excellent support for the ipod

The Eclipse 7200 is indeed an awesome HU, but it was not available anywhere. The HU has everything an audiophile needs, But i'm not an audiophile yet and i think my equipment did not deserve such an HU. I needed an additional Ipod adapter to work with it, and having listened to the the adapter combo on a friend's ride i was not so impressed on the Ipod performance part

The 9887 which is also known for it's SQ abilities was my choice for the HU until the last moment, reason being available easily and I had a Alpine Ipod cable lying with a friend. The 9887 was known for it's ease of use with the Ipod and that attracted me a lot to it. Further research showed that the Ipod DAC is not bypassed in the 9887 and it had no USB as well.

The P80Rs, I have no personal experience with this HU. But based on reviews and advice from friends i was having a look at this one too. This one did not have USB, IPOD, it was just a good SQ unit which I felt is not for me, I needed some creature comforts in my choice of HU

And then came the Alpine CDA 117, rumored to be 9886/9887 replacement. Well, it wasn't available here initially but I still gave it a look and the HU impressed me a lot and it offered all my requirements from an HU.

Pros:
Out-of-the-box Ipod support.
An excellent User interface especially for the ipod controls
24 Bit Burr Brown DAC
105db SNR for both CD and USB
Ipod DAC bypass (Digital Ipod connection)
4v Preout, which is just adequate
Option of adding an imprint processor
Time alignment

Cons:
No Low-pass filter, but can be done with the PXA-H100 later or use the amp for it
No 3-way active, again can be done with the PXA-H100
Cannot use the Ipod and USB simultaneously (Both use the same USB port)
No Alpine Steering remote, unlike the JVC & Pioneer

Here are a Few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5963.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5965.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5966.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5941.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5944.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5942.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5957.jpg  

Team-BHP's first Alpine 117-img_5971.jpg  

sathee46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2010, 17:24   #2
BHPian

Congrats Sathee on the upgrade. Sure looks a stunner. Waiting for a review.
Old 4th April 2010, 17:56   #3
BHPian

Congratulations, great HU there. I was looking to buy one of these and you beat me to it . Please post a detailed review and the price.
Old 4th April 2010, 18:51   #4
BHPian

Excellent! congrats!

Can you please share the price?
Old 4th April 2010, 19:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

do try it out with some huge USB drives/hard disks. doesnt seem to like them/banking functionality is not quite smooth yet
Old 4th April 2010, 20:58   #6
BHPian

Yeah... Its surely a 9887/9886 Upgrade as Sound tuning features/ Specifications remain the same.. Great Choice...
Old 4th April 2010, 22:49   #7
BHPian

Congrats!! Sathee!! this HU does look good in features. Nice buy i must say!!
Waiting for a review buddy!!
Old 5th April 2010, 12:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Satish, seems like a truly wonderful HU. Let us know how it performs.

Mind sharing the cost of the HU ?
Old 5th April 2010, 12:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the HU. I was under the impression that this UNIT didn't had Burr Brown DAC.

Also i have heard some horror stories regarding USB / iPod scrolling pretty much slow and it takes a lot of time to BANK the songs.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! Good choice. I think this is going to be most value for money HU soon with TA, USB and the works without blowing a huge hole in the pocket.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Thanks Guys, the price is ~17k the unit is from SGP.

@greenhorn - I'm using a 8gb pendrive at the moment and no problems yet. I quite like the banking function, it's smooth for 8gb contents(<1000 Songs). The songs can be navigated folder wise too once you select the folder option in the banking menu.

@abhibh - The DAC is Burr Brown

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Yes it could be quirky once you have more than 1 bank (more than 1000 songs) on your pendrive. But for the Ipod navigation it is not bad in anyways. You can do a alphabetical scroll which makes searching a lot easier for me atleast. I will try to post a video of the ipod control later. If speedy search is your priority then you need to buy the 422i full speed cable, but we will miss the DAC bypass that way.

A Complete review after some time. Intial impressions, the HU souds way better than my previous HU. With no tuning done in the HU, the difference in the sound quality is eminent.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Yes it could be quirky once you have more than 1 bank (more than 1000 songs) on your pendrive. But for the Ipod navigation it is not bad in anyways. You can do a alphabetical scroll which makes searching a lot easier for me atleast. I will try to post a video of the ipod control later. If speedy search is your priority then you need to buy the 422i full speed cable, but we will miss the DAC bypass that way.
Regarding DAC bypass. Please put some WAV tracks in your iPod and see if HU plays them. If it plays the WAV then it's using iPods DAC. According to UNIT specifications it plays MP3, WMA & AAC.
Old 5th April 2010, 15:25   #13
BHPian

JVC AVX800 is a touch screen interface and this one is not - was it easy to move from a touch screen interface to a button controlled one.. ??
How is this better than JVC AVX800 (in laymans terms) ?
Old 5th April 2010, 16:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Regarding DAC bypass. Please put some WAV tracks in your iPod and see if HU plays them. If it plays the WAV then it's using iPods DAC. According to UNIT specifications it plays MP3, WMA & AAC.
I will check on that, but IIRC it plays wav.

The Alpine site says, 'digital transmission'. I dont think alpine could be fooling it's customers with an analog transmission. If it is, then it's very bad marketing. And is it the Job of the DAC to check which format it's working with, I thought it just converts digital signal to analog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
JVC AVX800 is a touch screen interface and this one is not - was it easy to move from a touch screen interface to a button controlled one.. ??
How is this better than JVC AVX800 (in laymans terms) ?
SQ wise it's no comparison to the alpine.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
Yeah... Its surely a 9887/9886 Upgrade as Sound tuning features/ Specifications remain the same.. Great Choice...
Hi Guys,

But the 117 is still not a replacement for the 9887 it lacks on a few counts.

The CDA 117 doesn't have all the processing capabilties of the 9887. You basically need the H100 processor or something.

Check this link.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...placement.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks