Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 11:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

wiring polarity

simple doubt, but

the wire is transparent , and one strand has a red line on it.
This is the one to be connected to the speaker + right ?
Old 5th April 2010, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes the red one goes to the positive !!!
Old 5th April 2010, 11:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

What you getting done greenie?
Old 5th April 2010, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

nah, when I got my ovals installed at motor plaza, the dude there was adamant that red went to negative. I had gotten the same dialog a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but the guy is following a very convention for the speakers. He connects the red wire ( +ve right ?) to the negative terminal of the speaker , and to the non red end of the wire. Either way, He says that it will work out , and is adamant about it. I say fine- i can always remove and rewire them myself. After all, as long as he is consistent about the convention, i dont mind.
This dude was adamant about the wiring too, so i let it slide . But I just can't get the front/back balance right. And remembered about the phase of the rears being wrong.

Ok, now I'm sure . wil swap the wires

But i wonder how so many people can get the same thing wrong , and be sure about it.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

just ensure that he connects it to same polarity on both ends of it. head unit/amplifier and on speaker. then it will be fine. some speaker wire of lower quality do have copper in one of the line and tinned copper on other, i suppose the copper one has to go to positive terminal in such case. ofc wires are copper colour on both so dosent matter either ways
Old 5th April 2010, 18:56   #6
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
nah, when I got my ovals installed at motor plaza, the dude there was adamant that red went to negative. .

Is the red wire connected to the positive out of the HU or negative ? it has to be same on both ends !
Old 5th April 2010, 20:44   #7
BHPian

Mostly There are two wires one in Red colour and other one is mainly Black (Sometimes Blue). Do remember that Red wire to the + ve point and the Black (or Blue) to the -ve point are connected.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Is the red wire connected to the positive out of the HU or negative ? it has to be same on both ends !
I'm sure things are fine at the HU end, since i used a wiring harness, but the front - rear balance is weird. either I get all front, or all rear.
Not so bad, since I'm not bothered by the rear soundstage, but its still not right
Old 5th April 2010, 21:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Mostly There are two wires one in Red colour and other one is mainly Black (Sometimes Blue). Do remember that Red wire to the + ve point and the Black (or Blue) to the -ve point are connected.
Even if you use black for positive and red for negative, it makes no difference at all as long as it is consistent throughout the system.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Even if you use black for positive and red for negative, it makes no difference at all as long as it is consistent throughout the system.
It doesn't make difference when wires used as power source. But when the wires from Amp are being connected to the speaker they should be connected in correct polarity.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

got the wires switched. Now the fader works correctly and panning front - rear is fine

improvement with the bass/mids as well
Old 6th April 2010, 16:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
It doesn't make difference when wires used as power source. But when the wires from Amp are being connected to the speaker they should be connected in correct polarity.
Why would it? Except in the case of very high end cables that feature networks in-line etc, there is no difference whatsoever between the two conductors.
Old 6th April 2010, 19:28   #13
BHPian

Not sure about the amp but when I connect both the mid-bass drivers in inverse polarity from the cross-over, the bass doesn't seem right, as in, it isn't centred and appears to be coming from a distance.

@ greenhorn
For mid-bass drivers, the 1.5v battery test is the most reliable way out.
For tweeters, it's a bit more complex. Extended listening sessions might be required,

Last edited by thelord : 6th April 2010 at 19:31.

Most Viewed